PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice/tips?

JEREME
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Me, and bro-in-law take my little nephew to all the stocked ponds around these parts.We have nailed our limits hours after the truck has dumped em, and we have also caught nice cats while they are currently stocking trout. My questions are:

1. Do yall think its good to wait a week or two or be there the day after planting?, cause im thinkin the hatchery fish are not hungry when they first get there, used to being fed and all, maybe a good idea to wait til their survival instincts kick in and they are actually hittin out of hunger.

2.Any tips on trout rigs, i do pretty well, but im always down to try out any new suggestions, we take out ultra light ugly sticks on 2-4 pound test at the most..im not askin for your guys secrets, just how you guys rig up..right on yall

jayfish0084
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
1. Sorta hit and miss. Ive had days where im there when they stock and its wide open. Other days where they wont bite best till the 3rd day. My suggestion to you is to go the 3rd day. That way the fish are acclimated to the water and they will start to bite.

2. As far as rigging go here - http://www.berkley-fishing.com/view_tips.phtml?id=2091 I use a owner mosquito single hook size 10 or 12. And i prefer using a gulp salmon egg instead of power bait. And Ive found that Garlic scent (smelly jelly) put on the bait helps too. You can still fish this or do a slow retrieve with occasional twitching. At park lakes I use a #2 leader and nothing more. If the water is murkey use a 6-8 inch leader. If it is clear use a 12-18 inch leader. As far as colors ive done the best with bubblegum pink power worm and a pink berkley egg. My other go to's when pink isnt hitting is chartreuse on chartreuse and orange on orange

Hope this helps

JEREME
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
1. Sorta hit and miss. Ive had days where im there when they stock and its wide open. Other days where they wont bite best till the 3rd day. My suggestion to you is to go the 3rd day. That way the fish are acclimated to the water and they will start to bite.

2. As far as rigging go here - http://www.berkley-fishing.com/view_tips.phtml?id=2091 I use a owner mosquito single hook size 10 or 12. And i prefer using a gulp salmon egg instead of power bait. And Ive found that Garlic scent (smelly jelly) put on the bait helps too. You can still fish this or do a slow retrieve with occasional twitching. At park lakes I use a #2 leader and nothing more. If the water is murkey use a 6-8 inch leader. If it is clear use a 12-18 inch leader. As far as colors ive done the best with bubblegum pink power worm and a pink berkley egg. My other go to's when pink isnt hitting is chartreuse on chartreuse and orange on orange

Hope this helps
right on, yeah im starting to like those gulp salmon eggs....thanks cause my leaders for that pond are maybe 6 inches...im def gonna try the leader advice, i got powerbait trout jelly, but that hasnt worked once, i will get sum smelly jelly friday....thanks