PDA

View Full Version : Boat pulling to the right

FISHNCHIPS
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I have a 16 foot jon style boat with a 25 horse Mercury and it pulls hard to the right when up to speed. The motor is centered and there are no problems with the hull. I guess I could try mounting the motor a little to the right of center. Any ideas?

DBass
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Turn trim tab in direction boat is pulling.

There is a steering trim tab located on the bottom of the cavitation plate, just aft of the propeller. It is adjustable and has been installed on the engine to correct for propeller torque.

Adjustment of the trim tab should be done after you've gone through the steps of proper tilt adjustment.

The boat should be operated with a normal load on board in a straight line. Incorrect trim tab adjustment will cause the boat to turn to the left or to the right when your hand are removed from the steering wheel. Be careful when removing your hands from the steering wheel; a tilt tab incorrectly positioned may cause the boat to turn violently.

To adjust the trim tab, loosen the securing bolts, as per the engine manufacturer's instructions, and move the trim tab in the direction the boat pulls. For example, if the boat pulls to starboard, move the trailing edge of the trim tab to starboard. Make these adjustments in small increments and test the results. The object is to create a "hands off straight line" steering condition for the normal operating speed. It is not possible to eliminate steering pull throughout the engine speed range.

Remember, tilt adjustment may affect steering torque as much as the trim tab. With Outboard engines equipped with power trim this becomes particularly important. When under way, experiment with trim settings to neutralize steering pull.

BingJr
03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Dbass hit it right on the head. The boat will torque harder when it is coming on plane or not on plane. If the motor will not put the john boat on full plane it will always pull to the right due to prop torque as he talked about. Most of my 19ft bassboats at certain speeds and trims pulled very hard and you had to hold the wheel with all your might, if you let go the boat would do a strong right turn. Now of course they have power steering. YAY!

GeordyBass
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Turn trim tab in direction boat is pulling.

There is a steering trim tab located on the bottom of the cavitation plate, just aft of the propeller. It is adjustable and has been installed on the engine to correct for propeller torque.

Adjustment of the trim tab should be done after you've gone through the steps of proper tilt adjustment.

The boat should be operated with a normal load on board in a straight line. Incorrect trim tab adjustment will cause the boat to turn to the left or to the right when your hand are removed from the steering wheel. Be careful when removing your hands from the steering wheel; a tilt tab incorrectly positioned may cause the boat to turn violently.

To adjust the trim tab, loosen the securing bolts, as per the engine manufacturer's instructions, and move the trim tab in the direction the boat pulls. For example, if the boat pulls to starboard, move the trailing edge of the trim tab to starboard. Make these adjustments in small increments and test the results. The object is to create a "hands off straight line" steering condition for the normal operating speed. It is not possible to eliminate steering pull throughout the engine speed range.

Remember, tilt adjustment may affect steering torque as much as the trim tab. With Outboard engines equipped with power trim this becomes particularly important. When under way, experiment with trim settings to neutralize steering pull.
You got it down right!

I have a 17' Lowe bass boat,it use to kind of steer a little hard to the right and i adjusted that,now it turns in a little bit but not hard....mines has a 40hp Suzuki...

FISHNCHIPS
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey thanks guys,really glad I put the question up. I had moved the trim tab a little once but didn't know what I was doing. My son and I are fixing this boat up to be a redneck bassboat and can't wait to get it out on Lake Britton and Shasta for the bass and crappie.
I have an extension on the tiller and it just about pulls my arm off. Wouldn't want to think of what would happen if I let go the way it is.
Thanks for the great info!