PDA

View Full Version : Newport harbor sat-with dad and son fish killin team

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Went to Newport harbor Saturday morning, plans had to be changed by the minute.

The original plan was to borrow Hiro’s boat and take 2 fishin buddies out, one of those buddies was to tow Hiro’s Boat…
A last minute family obligation changed that plan for the one that was to tow Hiro’s boat he couldn’t go. Found that out late Friday eve…so I decided to take my boat and still take fisherman #2 out.

Sat morn: Supposed to get a call from fisherman#2 when he aproached the offramp at about 6am at Gallions near my house at Castaic…..no call…so off I went to Gallions for a sandwich and a monster….

I call #2…get a voice mail…I say….”the train is leaving in 15 minutes…gotta get under way”

I wait about 10 minutes and a call comes………..#2 overslept and the alarm didn’t go off…
Sooo…I head off on my own….I’m already delayed

Down the road a bit, on a whim, I call Geordy …I know it’s last minute but it’s a good oprtunity for him to get on the water…..he asks his dad…..they are both up to go but we wont fit on my tub…

We decide to take their waler….soooooo to make this novel shorter…all 3 of us headed out….a bit of a late start but it’s all good..

The tide cycle was far from good with High tide falling around 12:15pm and a real low high tide to boot…we went for it anyway..

It was a slow pick at fish but pick at them we did indeed.....or maybe you'd say WE PICKED ON THEM !

We ended up catching many spotted bay bass… I think 6-7 Halibut a couple sand bass and 1 Calico bass.

Gulp baits were responsible for all the catches, we got them on an array of colors and types, ¾ of the fish came in on jig rigged 4” smelt gulp alive, we caught a few on the purple/white (rainbow) 4” gulp, a few on the chartreuse /white 5” gulp jerkshad and many on the 4” emerald shiner as well.

The key depth seemed to be approx 8’ to 13.6’ deep respectively.

I farmed 1 real nice toad….a nice drag peeler that I couldn’t turn on 10 lb test…that sucka had some power……then with a few head shakes as it ran for a keel of a boat, it shook off ! …..Dayam !

I also broke 2 big fish off, 1 on 10lb and another on 8lb evolution.
Surface temp was about 61 degrees in most areas, cant wait for bottom temp in that range….

We also saw Jsauce and fishstix getting their “fish on!”….they came tooling up and we were driftin a spot, ...
Jsauce and Geordy both were on a skunk at that time….I looked at the meter…I said “theres a grip of fish right here !”…..seconds after….Geordy hooks his skunkshaker !....

Hookup….!

Then…

Jsauce:……………….Hookup….flattie…nice job…I think we did several repeated drifts through those zones and we all nailed a couple outa that area….and Geordy nailed another flattie too ! unfortunately that one was a pancake !

Cool seeing you guys out there !...nice job !

I’ll have to see how the tide cycle is coming up, I am confident we would have done a whole lot better with a favorable tide.

The fish did make us work hard for them and there were long lulls in the bite periodically but we were rewarded for our hard work with nice weather and many hookups…good times !

We all had a great day on the water and we all caught many fish, I lost count, we didn’t take a whole lot of photos but here are a couple.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09beto1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09geordy1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09garyspottie2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09beto2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09garyhalibut1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/NEWportw-geordy3-14-09garyspottie3.jpg

PureAle
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
way to go, thats a nice calico.

PureAle

Santa Fe Eric
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Way to let them feel that steel Gary!

You are doing big things. Oh yeah! Bottom Water temp up to 61-65 will be nice:Cool:

SFE

TroutOnly
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I WANT TO SEE BIGGER FISH,,,,,t/o,,,,,TRIPLE G'S,,,,,,GARY-GEORGE-GEORDY,,,

kpn
03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
TRIPLE G'S,,,,,,GARY-GEORGE-GEORDY,,,

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: That's funny Bob. When is your turn to kill??? :Smile:.

Good job out there guys.......

KPN.

BIGRED KILLA
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Way to put the Slay on very nice fish landed.

Bigred

doyoufishmuch
03-16-2009, 05:01 PM
wtg in those toughers conditions. nice job

Ambassadorhawg
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Cool, does this mean that I don't get to attach the skunk picture this time???

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Cool, does this mean that I don't get to attach the skunk picture this time???

Feel free to attach to the OTHER post from the duct but please note that I will SLAY...
1 toad striper for each skunk pic posted !....IT's ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambassadorhawg
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
THAT'S wut I like to HEAR! Not smell!

JSAUCE818
03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
nice seeing out there fellas, you guys did real good. yeah you called it, right when you said that you were metering fish in that specific area, my 1st cast,..BAM! Hook up!..no more skunk for me!.... oh and that Newport Eye candy we were all having, gotta love it.

crappiemike
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
nice spotties!!! MDR sounds like its going off right now..
thnx for the report and pics..

cm

Wingnut
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Nice Spotties, my favorite harbor Bass. Good times with the "G" clan!

GeordyBass
03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice Spotties, my favorite harbor Bass. Good times with the "G" clan!We shall go fishin' wingy...lol...

FISHSTIX
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
You guys had them dialed in when we came putting up to you. We were on our way to the launch from the break wall when we seen you. I cant believe Jsauce let that fifi get away when she was looking for him after what he said...lol...Nice seein you guys out there and sharing the trash talkin and a few last minute drifts.

thepuma
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Once again, nice post Gary. I still have not been out in Ventura on my tube this season. Was looking to go with Artimus on Friday, but alas the plans fell through. Just reading your post gets my blood pumping and the fever starting. I gotta get out there.

BingJr
03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
wow, geordy caught a fish. It must have been WFO.

Great job out there guys!

J/K Geordy!