PDA

View Full Version : SARL Sat. Night 3/14

Redside
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Decided to hit up SARL again for a night session, with my friends Don and Tony. After stopping at Burger King for a quick dinner, I pulled off the 91 fwy at 4:45 pm and saw the place was already pretty busy! The gate was open, and I met up w/ Tony at Levitz corner, he said they opened the gate at 4:30.

We fished there until Don arrived at about 6:00, saw very little action around us, so we decided to move. The lake was pretty crowded for a night session, I would say at least 60 or 70 vehicles. We drove over to the boat docks, but the breeze was blowing that direction and the water looked pretty muddy, also there was a bunch of stuff on the surface right on shore that looked like what comes in night crawler boxes. So we headed west and ended up on the north side of the lake.

For Don and I, it turned out to be a slow evening. I tried everything I could think of, including power bait, lip-ripper/gulp egg combo, and night crawlers. I managed one decent trout at about 9:00 p.m., it was maybe 2#. Caught him on P.B.

Tony, on the other hand was off the hook. He had a steady bite on power bait the whole evening. I think he ended up with eight or nine trout, which was o.k. since Don and I weren't having much luck. I fished right next to him, tried to imitate his rig, but it just wasn't happening. Oh well, that's why they call it fishing.

Funny thing was, the trout he was catching kept getting smaller as the evenig wore on. The first fish were all solid, around 1.5 to 2# each. Towards the end, they were barely 13" long.

Still, it was a beautiful evening. Didn't see much action for others around us.

Eat Sleep Fish
03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Funny thing was, the trout he was catching kept getting smaller as the evenig wore on. The first fish were all solid, around 1.5 to 2# each. Towards the end, they were barely 13" long.

...just doesn't sound right when they advertise BIG fish ALL the time...:Neutral::Neutral::Neutral: ...don't know whats up with that place this year, must be the economy...

gotstofish
03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
One of my favorite old lakes. Had many memories when that use to be the place.Still got my pole holders from back in the day.Blue ones{circa 1986} from a friend who got for me from a friend who made them.Still fish my old Shimano fighting rods one a 6'6" the other a 5'6".Cant say enough about them wish they kept making them.

Redside
03-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Gotstofish, you sound pretty old school, like me. I'm 53, and have also fished that lake off and on for years.It isn'ft perfect, but hey, it is fishing in the city close to home, I say you can't beat that. And I have caught some of those beautiful Nebraska trout from there this year. Also, it is much more pleasant to fish there at night.

As far as the small trout go, I've had that problem at Irvine in the past as well. 13" is still a respectable trout, better than the DFG size. And most of what we caught were 1.5 # or bigger.

CASTAWAY
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
If the Trout are not biting at night try the three pipes for some Crappie.
Use white mini-jig tip with a meal worm. Fish under a bobber. Try the
retrieve-pause retrieve-pause....:Smile: