PDA

View Full Version : Mojave Narrows Trout Derby

Mojave River Angler
03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I went over to Mojave Narrows on Saturday for the trout derby. I got there late, so I figured things would be busy when I arrived. In truth, it was worse than I though. The event was way over sold for the amount of shoreline that is fishable. Most of the fish that were caught were between half and one and a half pounds. The three winning fish were between 5 and 7 lbs. Even if you have a state license and second rod stamp, too bad...can't use a second rod...but the license is required (marginal legality). Not to worry...there was not enough room for your first rod anyway. The only redeeming moment was seeing a three year old with her first fish...a 1.5 lb. trout. Oh, ya, no kids price either...$15 a head to fish...no matter the size. And $7 to park:Sad: What is this...Disneyland?

I'll throw away my money elsewhere next time...maybe Lake Isabella in April.

MRA

cat_fishes1
03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, my boyfriend and I both went there as well. We were at the Prado Derby last month and fared better there. He did catch a nice one (15 inches and over 1 lb.) yesterday though, and yes it was much bigger than most of the ones I saw being caught. We were fishing Pelican (both lakes stocked and used for this event) And his was only slightly smaller than the one he caught at Prado last month. I caught one close to 2 lbs last month and this time I got the skunk.

wtrwar
03-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I was there at Pelican for the derby...Well county parks got thier fees outta me and kept thier fish too...bummer....Went back to fish with my niece and nephew who camped out there for the weekend and caught a couple of small stockers for the freezer. Not too bad. worth the trip. I love the Narrows because its only 8 minutes from the house and when you buy the yearly parking pass its only $5.00 a day to fish...I love it..The Mrs. and the ubiquitieous honey do list...they don't care for it quite so much...Tight Lines...Look for the fat guy in the white straw hat...If he anwers to Ed it could be me..

MagicWorm
03-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Was there to for the derby. way to much hipe about the big fish. although i did manage to catch 10 between 1/2 a pound and 1lb 1/2. I was using a bobber with a jig. the bite was good if you know where to fish. they cleaned out alot of weeds at pelican lake which is where i was but opposite of where all the people were. pink also worked well for 2 of the 10 trout. caught 3 within the first 10 min but did all as catch and release. otherwise i would have limited out in the first 3 hours not worth the money plus the freezer is full. i am heading up there this sat will give u a report with pics....

joshua