PDA

View Full Version : More Tube Bassin at Perris + Quick Fishfinder Review 3/14/09

Socal Bassman
03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Planned on hitting up Perris and meeting up with the crew this morning. Well, turned out to be a rough start for me. Bassguy gives me a call and asks if I was there. I was just waking and looked over at the clock to see it was 7:15a.m. Oops! Teaches me to stay up late trying to find a way to install the new fishfinder. LOL. Loaded the gear into the car and was on my way. I arrived at Sail Cove a little over 8:00a.m., where Bassguy was waiting. He informed me that the gate leading to our usual parking lot at 11/12 was closed and his concerns about launching from Sail Cove with the thick fog. We couldn't even see the dam from the parking lot at Sail Cove. There were also a few tubers on the shore waiting to launch. Next, we decided to go check out the Bernasconi side. We hop in our vehicles and head out. Only to find out that the gate was closed. We turned back and headed over to 11/12, but decided not to launch there. So, back to Sail Cove we are. By the time we got our tubes set up and launched, it was already 10:00a.m. We figured the crew wasn't going to make it out today since we didn't see a sign of them anywhere this morning.

The conditions today was mostly cloudy and foggy in the morning and a bit chilly. Water temp was a constant 57*F - 58*F for most of the day with 59*F being the high, but not for long. Water clarity is stained with visibility down to about 2.5ft. Decided to first hit the deep water by Sail Cove with various baits with no love. Next, we decided to head over by the dam and try our luck there. As we make our way there, guess who shows up? Yep, our friends in the red and white open bow boat again. Back to slay some more bass. I didn't mind much because I saw that they were having a tough time too. Metered a lot of fish and baitfish in 28-40ft. of water, but none was falling for the underspins and blade baits I was throwing. With no luck out deep, we began targeting water in the 15-21ft. depth. Time goes by without a nibble. Bassguy starts joking (I think... LOL) saying if we skunk here, we're fishing the Goon next week. By now, it's 1:00p.m. and we're still fishless. After talking to a friendly shore fisherman out on the dam, he sparked an idea into my head. Although I didn't have the particular bait he was using, I had to reach deeeep down in the bag of tricks and employ an old school technique I like to call "the dam buster". Since the trusty dropshot and C-rig was not working, I figured it can't get any worse. Sorry, I can't divulge any details as to the type of bait or depth because I'd like to keep it quiet :Secret:. Yeah, I'm weird like that. :Big Grin:But, I will say this, keep the bait lively and fish really slow. As I slowly work the bait, I suddenly lose feel of the bottom. No tap, no thump, not even a tick, there was just nothing. Then, I noticed that there was a noticeable bow in my line. I quickly reeled down and when I felt pressure, I swung hard and FISH ON! The fish gave a pretty good fight for a little while, but eventually succumbed and I was able to land a chunky 2lb.7oz. fish. Whew! The skunk is off. After a couple false alarms, Bassguy was next and lands an identical 2lb.7oz. bass. The next two were mine as I land the big fish of the day at 3lb.3oz. and a dink, respectively. Called it a day at about 3:00p.m.

Now, on to a brief review about the Lowrance X510C. Since this is the first time I'm using it, this will just be just a generic review. First off, for those still contemplating between a monochrome (black and white) fishfinder and a color one. I would definitely have to say go color. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. Don't get me wrong, I love my X96. It not only gets the job done, but it is also packed with features that are found in more expensive units. But there are times when I have to stop and say "what the heck is that?" Anyway, the 510C made it easier for me to differentiate the different bottom compositions and clearly showed rocks on the sandy bottom. Like the X96, the X510C is loaded with features which oughta keep me busy trying to figure out what each one does. The 480 x 480, 5" display is great and shows better detail than the 320 x 320, 5" display of the X96. I've heard about how it is sometimes hard to see the picture while wearing polarized glasses, but I didn't experience it once the whole time on the water. It is easily seen, even in direct sunlight. Although, water spots can get annoying and if you try to wipe it off, it leaves streaks on the screen; which is more annoying than looking at just one or two water spots. My only real gripe so far is it seems to be a little on the slow side when using the Auto Depth Range. If I'm in 40ft. of water then move up to 20ft. of water, it still shows 40ft. on the depth bar and since I am now in 20ft., I get a double echo. Again, since this is the first time I've used it, I pretty much kept everything in the default factory settings for most of the day. I'll have to play with it a little bit more the next time out. Currently, this is how I have it set:

Sensitivity: 80%
Ping speed: 50%
Scroll speed: 75%
Surface noise rejection: LOW
Noise rejection: LOW
Auto Depth Range: ON

Thinking of just using the manual mode instead of the Auto Depth Range since it is pretty simple to adjust manually. Any of you out there with this unit or similar have any other suggestions on what I might want to consider changing?

Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but I left the camera at home and just used my Blackberry. Maybe Bassguy will post some on here.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Perris314091.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Perris314092.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Perris314093.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Perris314094.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

imd12nv
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
hopefully thats not your secret bait for everyone to see in the third pic.

BKULIN
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
guess who saw the secret bait. PIC 3 haha

samgann93
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
i was just gonna say that. hahahahaha. nice "secret" bait.

Team Dead Money
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Put your ping speed at 100% and your scroll at 100% also. This will tell you what is under you in real time, your delaying your info by having them lower than 100%. Hope this helps you!!
Guy Williams

Socal Bassman
03-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Darn! You guys got me. Yep, that's the secret bait. :Rolls Eyes::Razz:

Socal Bassman
03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Put your ping speed at 100% and your scroll at 100% also. This will tell you what is under you in real time, your delaying your info by having them lower than 100%. Hope this helps you!!
Guy Williams

Thanks, I'll try that next time out.

Team Dead Money
03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Also try going in to 2x mode by zooming in once. This will get your graph to use it's power nearer the bottom, nothing near your feet be your target if you get my drift.
Guy Williams

Seng90806
03-15-2009, 02:59 AM
nice going out there...those bass looks heathy as ever...i need to bring out the tube and get it going again

fishntime
03-15-2009, 06:24 AM
It doesnt matter how many you catch, just get out and enjoy the day shooting the Sh:: with the hommies.

tacklejunkie
03-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Nice new depth finder Socal! :EyePop: Dang dude!
Good to see you guys got on 'em! All though I didn't have any doubts you would. I managed a dinky guy about 1lbs from a shore spot. Couldn't find the time to get the tube out there.
Gotta love the beavers. :Smile: Funny as hell watching you feel out and set on that rig too. Looks like a fish just comes out of nowhere.

bassguy
03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
SoCal,

Nice detailed report, all I need to include is the pics. I did stay about 45 min longer than SoCal. I wanted another fish, unfortunately, the only thing I got was a lost setup, then I called it quits. Check out his trick transducer setup, is he ahead of technology or does he have a secret socal setup ?

SoCal's new fish finder
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/ffinder.jpg

SoCal's transducer setup
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/dual.jpg

Socal real secret bait, nicotine he transfers to his bait
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/socal3-15.jpg

Socal's 3 fish
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/socal23-15.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/socal33-15.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/socal43-15.jpg

Bassguy's only fish
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/bassguy3-15.jpg

shy_boxer
03-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice tubin bass adventure!! LOL...dig the secret bait! Your tubes are hooked up!!! Thanks for the report!

Ronira
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Well if it isn't the Dave and Daryle show. Man I can't wait to fish with you guys again! Nice job you guys, and nice job keeping the secret bait secret there SoCal blabberman. :ROFL: :ROFL: :Secret:

Rambogottafish
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
You guys ROCK. SoCalBassGod spent more on that Lowrance than I spent on my boat!!!!!!! Haaaaaaaaaa. Had a good time that's what it's all about. Tight lines.
RGF

Socal Bassman
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Well if it isn't the Dave and Daryle show. Man I can't wait to fish with you guys again! Nice job you guys, and nice job keeping the secret bait secret there SoCal blabberman. :ROFL: :ROFL: :Secret:

The conditions today was mostly cloudy and foggy in the morning and a bit chilly. Water temp was a constant 57*F - 58*F for most of the day with 59*F being the high, but not for long. Water clarity is stained with visibility down to about 2.5ft. Decided to first hit the deep water by Sail Cove with various baits with no love. Next, we decided to head over by the dam and try our luck there. As we make our way there, guess who shows up? Yep, our friends in the red and white open bow boat again. Back to slay some more bass. I didn't mind much because I saw that they were having a tough time too. Metered a lot of fish and baitfish in 28-40ft. of water, but none was falling for the underspins and blade baits I was throwing. With no luck out deep, we began targeting water in the 15-21ft. depth. Time goes by without a nibble. Bassguy starts joking (I think... LOL) saying if we skunk here, we're fishing the Goon next week. By now, it's 1:00p.m. and we're still fishless. After talking to a friendly shore fisherman out on the dam, he sparked an idea into my head. Although I didn't have the particular bait he was using, I had to reach deeeep down in the bag of tricks and employ an old school technique I like to call "the dam buster". Since the trusty dropshot and C-rig was not working, I figured it can't get any worse. Sorry, I can't divulge any details as to the type of bait or depth because I'd like to keep it quiet :Secret:. Yeah, I'm weird like that. :Big Grin:But, I will say this, keep the bait lively and fish really slow. As I slowly work the bait, I suddenly lose feel of the bottom. No tap, no thump, not even a tick, there was just nothing. Then, I noticed that there was a noticeable bow in my line. I quickly reeled down and when I felt pressure, I swung hard and FISH ON! The fish gave a pretty good fight for a little while, but eventually succumbed and I was able to land a chunky 2lb.7oz. fish. Whew! The skunk is off. After a couple false alarms, Bassguy was next and lands an identical 2lb.7oz. bass. The next two were mine as I land the big fish of the day at 3lb.3oz. and a dink, respectively. Called it a day at about 3:00p.m.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Perris314093.jpg

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:Man, I am just bustin' up over here. Truth is... The beaver on the shakey head was strategically placed there to see how many people I could throw off. The bait never even touched water yesterday. Note: That there is no line connected to the bait. Also notice what I said in red. When I said old school, I meant way back in the day before the dropshot and the shakey head. Guess you just had to be there to know the real secret bait. Hope to fish with you guys again soon.

Guy, thanks again for the tip. I did play with the zoom split sonar feature for a little while yesterday.

Rambo, man I'm afraid what I might do if I ever got a boat. Think my wallet will be safer if I just stick with a tube. LOL.

Bassguy, thanks for adding some pics. As always, a pleasure to fish with you out there.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have a feeling that this place is gonna go off soon.

crappiemike
03-15-2009, 09:45 PM
way to go out there and nice setup.....

cm

kgselect
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Nice tube set-up. Thanks for the report and info on the X510C. I've been wanting to replace my old Lowrance on my Crestliner. After reading your report, I think I'll go with the color graph.