PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Bay-sics

Santa Fe Eric
03-14-2009, 01:42 PM
KevtheCatfishstudent decided to make a run for NPH on Friday. This was my first NPH trip in '09. We haven’t fished together much as Kev is on the road quite a bit. To steal a line from lightliner, “we both got our permission slips signed”. My wife told me to enjoy myself and that I could fish with Kev as late as I want. I asked her did she know what that means. She reminded me that I already told her the Kev and Getn2fishin were in the bay the other night from 9PM till 6AM.

Picked Kev up at about 9AM. After a myriad of false starts, we end up at NPH and are on the water by noon, just in time for the slack tide. No problem, time to try new techniques. Kev has an array of lures that I’ve never seen before as he travels all over the US and “just grabs stuff that looks fishy”. Santa Fe was working on learning to use his baitcaster to fish Mike Gardner style in the future to detect that “pressure bite”. I couldn’t get my Abu Garcia to effectively cast anything lighter than 3/8. I demonstrated great proficiency with the 1 ounce Jig. However, I never fish larger than 3/8 in NPH and mosty 1/8 to ¼ jig heads.
The water starts moving well at about 5:00, So we get the Portabote in drift position. I said we because in all of the false starts, Kev still forgot his waders, he fishes best in his Float tube. I toild him that destiny has put us in the Portabote together. We had a great time, but not being used to fishing so close together, we had many tangled lines. We also had many laughs. Kev is the first to beat the skunk with a short Butt.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0940.jpg
It takes an hour for Santa Fe to get his first fish, a short Butt on the drop shot Gulp.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0941.jpg
After a while with no fish, we downsize. Kev pulls out some stuff that I don’t even know the name of and nails a Sandy.

Santa Fe downsizes to 2 in Gulp swimmie and nails a Spottie. On the next couple of drifts we go back and forth nailing fish. Kev lands another Sandy, Santa Fe lands a Sandy as well. Back on the drift, Kev lands a nice Cindy Crawford (Spot Fin Croaker), Santa Fe pulls in another short butt.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0944.jpg
Then Kev pulls away as it is completely dark and Santa Fe is not prepared, Kev just starts to get comfortable as he loves NPH in the dark. Last year I watched him pull in a 39 inch Flattie at 2AM on his float tube. Last night Kev finished the night with 3 more fish -- a short halibut, a small spotties, and right at the launch ramp as we were leaving the water at 10:30PM he lands a beautiful and fat spottie. :Envious:
Kev has more pictures on his camera and I hope that he will have time to add them. All in all, I caught 4 fish, Kev caught 7. Thank you NPH, I will be back to improve my fish count and I'm digging deep into your pockets this year for some quality fish.
Anyone notice all of this dredging that is going on in NPH? I tried not to make excuses because I caught 4 fish, but was wondering if I could blame the dredging for me not getting the biggerf fish.:Razz:.
God Bless FNN!

Santa Fe

bergie berg
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
great job on the pancakes!!!

flyngby
03-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Eric and Kev.

Glad to se you finally got out together in the harbor this year!

Yes the fishing is still slow cold water fishing but it is looking better with water temps getting up to the 58-61 range. Things will pick up soon guys!!!

The Dredge was located right at the Dunes Ramp last Sunday and made it tricky to get out for the harbor adventure. It is definitely affecting the fishing above the PCH bridge.

Steve

ghetto dad
03-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Great Job kevin and E.....

GD

Santa Fe Eric
03-15-2009, 01:26 AM
great job on the pancakes!!!
Thanks Berg! I enjoyed you report from the Yak. I used to go out in a 10 foot pontoon kickboat before I got the porta-bote. I miss being as close to the water like in a float tube, kayak or kickboat.

Eric and Kev.

Glad to se you finally got out together in the harbor this year!

Yes the fishing is still slow cold water fishing but it is looking better with water temps getting up to the 58-61 range. Things will pick up soon guys!!!

The Dredge was located right at the Dunes Ramp last Sunday and made it tricky to get out for the harbor adventure. It is definitely affecting the fishing above the PCH bridge.

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I did not account for the cold water. I know that it will get better. The thing for me is that 4 fish is an outstanding day in the fresh, but a slow day in the salt. This is why I love the bay!
See you out there soon!

Great Job kevin and E.....

GD
Thanks GD! One day I will man up and get out there where the big boys go! Till then, you can catch me right within a few feet from shore:Razz:

crappie stalker
03-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Reads like you guys had a great time despite not getting the biggies.. Keep at it..
Nice pics..

CS

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Nice work...congrats on the catches......give 'em gulp steel...they cannot resist !!!

Let 'em feel that steel brotha !

Gary

BIGRED KILLA
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Very nice fish Big E thanks for the pics and report. It looks like the pancakes are in full force right now cant wait for the big girls to play.

Bigred

GeordyBass
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
looks like IHOP to me...lol...Good Job guys!

sidified
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Way to go---Glad you're getting some test runs in before the party's full on--

Rooster
03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Great NPH report Eric, Hope 2 cya out there sometime..

j-DuBb
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice flatties guys ... i need to make my first trip out to nph. Thanks for the report.

-j-

Troutman65
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice report Santa Fe. Cool you and Kevin got to fish NPH.

Congrats on your catch

Native Gal
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
SFE,
Thanks for the report and pixs, :Thumbs Up:.

NG
:Smile:

Wingnut
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Big "E" and Kevin, very well done on your harbor visit. I was dreaming about that place while I was up North. :Wink:

Trout Nine
03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
SF,
Nice going on your catch Way to go!

FISHSTIX
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
What a difference in weather, you guys got the sun on friday and we got overcast skies on saturday. Nice job out there! NPH is an interesting place to fish, i'll be heading back out that way soon hopefully with better conditions.

CatchthatTrout
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Way to go Kev and Santa Fe.
Sorry that I couldn't make it out there with you guys.

We'll be doing NPH soon my friend.

JusStartnOut
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Great post Santa Fe! I cant wait til Good Friday, that's when I'll be hitting up NPH.