PDA

View Full Version : Pancakes,Legals and the ONE THAT GOT AWAY !

bones
03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Well....Decided to head up the coast to do some recon and Halibut hunting. Still trying to find the bait and the birds because it's warming up folks and a good spring pattern is setting in. Got to my first destination and the clouds were pretty thick but the water was flat. Water was very clear and I had a feeling about this day!
No birds....No bait but the water clarity had me pumped.......

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/dawn.jpg

I was bundled up and was wearing my patented stay dry system and a passer by was kind enough to snap a quick pic of me with my camera as the sun peeked out.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/staydry.jpg

Made a cast right next to a very close kelp paddy and stuck this little rockfish.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/bass.jpg

MMMMMMM....Ok ........Wasn't expecting that but hey....Got the skunk off early!

Soon after that the flatties came out to play and my first one was about 14".

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/a.jpg

Second one came in a little bigger at about 19"

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/b.jpg

A little while later I stuck another shortie that was about 14" and she had her eyes on the left side of her body....Kewl !!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/c.jpg

Well......I then decided to head a little south to another spot where I eyeballed a few boiler rocks (God I love fishing boilers) and I had a feeling about this spot. On my second cast I felt that tell tale hit of another flattie but Imediately after the initial strike my rod really loaded up and I knew that this was a bigger model.She measured 26" and put up a good fight!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/e.jpg

Oh yeah baby....Back in the legal business!! This was my 6th legal of the new year and I only kept one legal all of last year so this one is comming home for fish taco's baby. I can live with a 5 to 1 kill ratio on legals this year and I will always let my PB go!!

A little while later I was talking to a another passer by when I got bit again and I asked him to snap a quick pic of me landing the fish that went just a little short at 21"
Sorry about scrubing out the background but the buildings in the background are a dead give away on this spot!
Bigred made me do it!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/halilanding.jpg

After deciding to keep a legal I thanked Possiden for the meal and promissed that if I was rewarded with a PB halibut I would set her free and THEN it happened......
I got hammered right next to that boiler again and this time I could feel the SERIOUS weight. GAME ON BABY!!!
This fish made three hard drag burning runs on me and my heart was barely beating. I worked her right up to within 15ft of me or so and I was standing on a flat rock covered with mussels. When I saw the beast I had a panic attack and instead of just hopping off the rock ..... I decided to take my hand off the reel and EASE myself down onto my butt and this was a CRITICAL mistake!
This was when everything went wrong....While I had one hand on the rod and the other down on the rock trying to make the transition into the water ....a surge of water enabled the big girl to make a quick run at me and I started saying "NO NO NO" as the fish came right up to my feet. She EASILY had the 26 incher beat by a foot or so and she was THICK and heavy. I tried to take up the line as quickly as possible but she wrapped me around another boiler to my left and I could feel my line scraping over the mussels but somehow she went back around and my line was straight again. I got her right to my feet but she made one last spooked run and SNAP !!!!!!
My heart just sank and I was defeated.......but wait a minute......I promissed Possiden that I would let her go right? She was definately my PB by far....LOL
We will just call this a short distance release!
Soooooooo.....A conservative move cost me a big fish and to be honest.....If I hadn't re-spooled with 12lb P-Line fluorocarbon last week instead of using my extra tough 12lb P-Line CXXQG I think the line would have held up.
A serious lesson to be learned from this battle.If I had just jumped off the rock (trust me...It was an easy jump) I would have been able to keep tension on this fish but that 3 seconds it took me to drop to my butt was all it took for me to let the fish OWN me. Maybe it was my......
CATARACTS.....

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/cataracts.jpg

Maybe it was because I'm getting too OLD......

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/old.jpg

Maybe it's because I didn't take my VITAMINS!!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/geritol.jpg

Lesson for the day.......

Always plan your landing spot. Don't be afraid to jump onto the sand like a YOUNG MAN and NEVER....I repeat NEVER......Use Fluorocarbon around boiler rocks. It's too brittle and besides.....Halibut are NOT line shy.

Still a great day in the surf by all meens and I'm going to get her next time.
Day totals.....

1-Rockfish
4-shorties
1-legal (26")

And the ONE that got away!

All fish were caught on a dropshotted fluke.

Closing shot......

----------------------------------BENDO AT SUNRISE-----------------------------------
------------------------------Credit to Bigred for this Shot !-----------------------------

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/3112008/sunrise.jpg

Tight Lines to ALL------------<><

Mike aka BONES

bsp
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Awesome job bones!

I know the feeling about the one that got away, I had it earlier this year when I lost one big halibut (estimated 34in b/c it left a 36in hole) that I sight fished with the dropshot. At least you saw it, so you know it wasn't a big leo that snapped you off. If I have half of the success tomorrow that you had today, I'll be happy. Hopefully the new baits will work out.

fishshep
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Excellent Halibutt catchin!!!

GeordyBass
03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Good Job on the legal bro!!What did BigRed get????:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

kgselect
03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Great post. Big fish are lucky fish. That's why they get big.

Ren714
03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
WTG on the hali's... Thanks for the report...

BIGRED KILLA
03-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Good Job on the legal bro!!What did BigRed get????:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I got a late start i only fished for a hour for nothing took the last pic of him in the sunset.

Bigred

BIGRED KILLA
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Nice job out there Mike wish i went out there earlier to help you out on the big boy or next time put a gaff on your cane you would have had him lol. See you out there tomm.

Bigred

CAPT'N
03-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Bones,

nice going buddy. I was lookin at the blue sky, feeling the sun, and thought about the surf. When I called you and you did not answer, I knew that where you were.

Nice fish OLD MAN!........................

Scott

imd12nv
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
That last picture is awsome.

chris
03-13-2009, 06:03 PM
awesome report and pictures

flyngby
03-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Mike,

Looked like a successful recon up there and there is light at the end of the tunnel on the Pancake fishing!!!!!!

To bad on the old man moment with your PB Flattie but you did make the promise to release it and you kept your word!!!!! Sorry you missed you photo opportunity.

I hope to be able to get you and Lucas on board for a Harbor Boat tour before things light up in the Surf!!!!!

Thanks for the report and pics!!!!

Steve

PS. I never thought of putting a gaff on the end of my Cane!!! What a great idea!!!!

sidified
03-14-2009, 01:56 AM
That was a great read, pal. Good to know about the downside of flouro in the rocks---

bones
03-14-2009, 12:09 PM
That last picture is awsome.

Yeah.......Bigred is getting pretty good with his new digi.

That was a great read, pal. Good to know about the downside of flouro in the rocks---

Thanks.......I will never use fluorocarbon again while targeting hali's.

Mike,

Looked like a successful recon up there and there is light at the end of the tunnel on the Pancake fishing!!!!!!

To bad on the old man moment with your PB Flattie but you did make the promise to release it and you kept your word!!!!! Sorry you missed you photo opportunity.

I hope to be able to get you and Lucas on board for a Harbor Boat tour before things light up in the Surf!!!!!

Thanks for the report and pics!!!!

Steve

PS. I never thought of putting a gaff on the end of my Cane!!! What a great idea!!!!

Thanks Steve. I'll get her next time and The gaff thing won't work for me. Kinda hard to always release your PB if it has a hole in it...LOL

awesome report and pictures

Thanks.......I always appreciate kind words.

Awesome job bones!

I know the feeling about the one that got away, I had it earlier this year when I lost one big halibut (estimated 34in b/c it left a 36in hole) that I sight fished with the dropshot. At least you saw it, so you know it wasn't a big leo that snapped you off. If I have half of the success tomorrow that you had today, I'll be happy. Hopefully the new baits will work out.

I remember that big hole and that sight fished big girl. We will BOTH get them next time!

Excellent Halibutt catchin!!!

Thanks......Some days just come together and work out for the most part.

Great post. Big fish are lucky fish. That's why they get big.

I couldn't have said it better!

WTG on the hali's... Thanks for the report...

Thanks....I try to do my best to represent the pirate crew and Team 57.

Nice job out there Mike wish i went out there earlier to help you out on the big boy or next time put a gaff on your cane you would have had him lol. See you out there tomm.

Bigred

Thanks Lucas....I hope we KILL THEM tomorrow!

Bones,

nice going buddy. I was lookin at the blue sky, feeling the sun, and thought about the surf. When I called you and you did not answer, I knew that where you were.

Nice fish OLD MAN!........................

Scott

Thanks Scott......I've got to get you and your son down to the surf so you two can both get your first surf halibut!!

Santa Fe Eric
03-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow Bones!
6 Legals already in the new year!
You can scrub out all the backgrounds you want just don't stop posting. I love the pirate reports. I miss Paddy, but I love reading reports from you and Big Red!

Tell Paddy Santa Fe said, "What's Up?":Cool:

Wingnut
03-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Ha ha, it's 3:30am here in Mammoth and probably 20 degrees outside. I hid my laptop in my luggage and been getting on it when I can. :Secret:

Nice job on the legal Mike. When you called and told me about the heartbreak loss on your drive home, I felt your pain and like it was my fish. I would've jump right off of that rock! Looks like I'm gonna have to enroll you in another series of combat surf fishing classes grandpa.

See ya when I get back to the real world... I'm totally sore and my butt hurts from crashing so much on the slopes... but that's what I get for not acting my age. :Wink:

crappie stalker
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Good going on the flatties.. Hunting paid off on this trip..

CS

bones
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow Bones!
6 Legals already in the new year!
You can scrub out all the backgrounds you want just don't stop posting. I love the pirate reports. I miss Paddy, but I love reading reports from you and Big Red!

Tell Paddy Santa Fe said, "What's Up?":Cool:

Thanks Eric!
paDDy is still on the hunt but it has been on his 27ft Striper! He has been hooping away and rockfishing with Farmy. Of course you know that Cuda is still on lockdown with the kids and Bam Bam has been showing up every now and then when his business allows him to. The Pirate Crew is in a little scattered condition like Capt.Jack Sparrows crew but we are re-grouping. Me and Bigred are still representing!!!!!!

Ha ha, it's 3:30am here in Mammoth and probably 20 degrees outside. I hid my laptop in my luggage and been getting on it when I can. :Secret:

Nice job on the legal Mike. When you called and told me about the heartbreak loss on your drive home, I felt your pain and like it was my fish. I would've jump right off of that rock! Looks like I'm gonna have to enroll you in another series of combat surf fishing classes grandpa.

See ya when I get back to the real world... I'm totally sore and my butt hurts from crashing so much on the slopes... but that's what I get for not acting my age. :Wink:

Good Job Arthur.......I envy your little frozen piece of heaven. Can't say I feel sorry for you and your snow bunny. I'm sure a massage was in order!!!....LOL
Pssssst.....The water temps in your favorite place to fish just hit 58 degrees buddy. You know what that meens!

Good going on the flatties.. Hunting paid off on this trip..

CS

Thanks alot!
Some days you find them and it's epic and some days you scratch up only pancakes. I love huntin them butts!

tacklejunkie
03-19-2009, 05:29 AM
I feel ya bones. I've lost 90% of my good sized fish.
I've hooked some monsters but no luck in landing any of them. Fresh or salt :Sad: Our day will come mang. Hang in there.

FISHSTIX
03-21-2009, 08:51 PM
You're on a roll with those halis, I have'nt hit the surf once yet.
Nice job out there!
Sorry to hear bout the PB that got away, more reason to keep chasing it down.
Nice report and pix!

fatherof5
03-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Great report and fotos. I really enjoyed reading your report. What is your patented stay dry outfit?

BIGRED KILLA
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Great report and fotos. I really enjoyed reading your report. What is your patented stay dry outfit?

He wears his normal clothes but he puts a trash bag over his smelly button up shirt to stay dry. =)

Bigred

bones
03-23-2009, 08:16 PM

It's really no big deal. I just developed a little way of layering my stuff in order to keep that surprise wave from ruining my day. I just wear a water proof frog tog (Like a waterproof windbreaker) over my waders and then use my third grip rod holster around my waist. It really snugs up the waistline and zips up right to my chin. The wrist bands are tight and if I unzip the front of the frog tog is a good place to keep all of my back up gear right around my chest area. My cell phone and camera are protected too. The only problem is that it gets a little warm in the suit and you have to unzip sometimes to cool off. Also by wearing my rod holster up higher it usually keeps my extra rod/reel up out of the water because I like to wade out to my waist in order to effectivly fish the boiler rocks.

He wears his normal clothes but he puts a trash bag over his smelly button up shirt to stay dry. =)

Bigred

You could have used a trash bag last week buddy when you tried to take that snickers from the fat lady.....LOL
That look on your face when the wave rolled over your head was PRICELESS !!!

steve092
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the pics!

Too bad about the lost one. Get out and get her again!