PDA

View Full Version : My newest Lucanus look-alike jig

Ifishtoolittle
03-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Well I've posted a similar jig before, but recently I have made a new Ball Jig that looks pretty similar to the Lucanus and Braid Products Squid Thumper jigs.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_18571.jpg

If anyone is wondering the trailer is just a trout worm that I cut in half.

CalamARI
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice work.

cappo
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
youre gonna knock the trout out cold with that thing lol.

FISH_HUNTER
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks like it should work great! Need a field tester? :Smile:

calico killer kevin
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
This has just inspired me to go get an actual Lucanus. LOL

Lightline
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
trout worms with a bobber?

Ifishtoolittle
03-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Looks like it should work great! Need a field tester? :Smile:

Nah, I'm going to give the jig a shot soon.

Ifishtoolittle
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
This has just inspired me to go get an actual Lucanus. LOL

LOL. I just got bored and made a similar one. Either way I already had the materials liying around the garage. I just made good use of them.

calico killer kevin
03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Any idea how much it weighs? Lucanus was made mainly for deep fish such
as lings and rockfish, but have been successful with other species such as
yellows, bass, and halibut. If that things doesn't weigh at least 3-4oz, then
it'll never reach 250ft.

BIGRED KILLA
03-14-2009, 12:02 AM
it'll never reach 250ft.

It is made out off balled up white power bait it floats.

Bigred

Ifishtoolittle
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
It is made out off balled up white power bait it floats.

Bigred

LOL very funny. HAR HAR

Ifishtoolittle
03-14-2009, 10:41 PM
it'll never reach 250ft.

If you look at the image carefully the sinker say 4 ounces, but it's upside down. I also made a couple 5 ounce models. By using sliding sinkers the jig will sink even faster than torpedos.

fish_sauce
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
keep up the good work bro!

making your own lures not only saves you $ in the long run, but it's also a great way to learn how and why a certain lure works to triggering a reactionary bite...

heres what i made during my lunch break with a 6 oz sinker, bass skirts, trailers, and good 'ol nail polish. :Wink:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/lure007.jpg

fish_sauce
03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
i also forgot to add that...

by learning how to work with the raw materials that you have, you can make yourself new lures or good imitations when the real thing is in short supply...

I found these Flashminnow 110 in Ghost Minnow pattern for $9.99!!! With a few quick touches of paint, i turned them into the popular metallic sardine--i've found that the glittery finish on the imitation hand painted sardine actually works really well in attracting fish on those sunny days...but the picture doesn't do the lure justice at all! I need to get a new camera :Sad:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/IMG_0003.jpg

calico killer kevin
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
i also forgot to add that...

by learning how to work with the raw materials that you have, you can make yourself new lures or good imitations when the real thing is in short supply...

I found these Flashminnow 110 in Ghost Minnow pattern for $9.99!!! With a few quick touches of paint, i turned them into the popular metallic sardine--i've found that the glittery finish on the imitation hand painted sardine actually works really well in attracting fish on those sunny days...but the picture doesn't do the lure justice at all! I need to get a new camera :Sad:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/IMG_0003.jpg
You took hooks out of the places that were getting bit the most?

fish_sauce
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
nope, i took those pictures as i was getting ready to work on them. i just removed them to do some touch-up work on the heavily used lures that get scratched up from the treble hooks moving around and from damages caused by impact from sand, rocks and toothy fish. Re-touching lures really add life to them, expecially with the prices these things are going for! I learned a valuable lesson a few months ago--no matter how careful you are, you're bound to hook yourself if the hooks are not removed or covered up prior to working on the lures...

Ifishtoolittle
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
keep up the good work bro!

making your own lures not only saves you $ in the long run, but it's also a great way to learn how and why a certain lure works to triggering a reactionary bite...

heres what i made during my lunch break with a 6 oz sinker, bass skirts, trailers, and good 'ol nail polish. :Wink:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/lure007.jpg

Man that is one nice looking squid jig!