PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a bass to commit on big baits in clear water?

ToadsToadsOnly
03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I fished LMV a few times with Big Baits and have an issue, since the lake is so clear I get numerous followers but they will not commit. I even had a couple bass rush my bait full speed only to stop inches away and turn back. I have tried putting scent, reeling slower, faster, with no avail. When fishing big baits in clear water how do it get the bass to commit? What big bait would you recommend to throw in clear water conditions?

makersmark
03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
That's a great question, and I am not 100% sure myself, that lake has some VERY clear water. I would just make sure I have a Fluorocarbon leader, and I would imagine the Hudd's would look real enough. Ive actually caught trout, or used others to rub the real sent on my lure, whatever helps get things as close to the real deal as possible. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out though, good luck out there bro!

BassFreak
03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Thats a million dollar question.. Which I believe nobody has the answer to as one thing would work one day and not another. Keep doing what your doing trying out different changes to the retrieve and soon enough you'll find the right recipe. :Wink:

snag
03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
If you haven't done so already, try to fish on windy days.

I've never been to LMV, however, DVL is also a 'Gin' clear lake for the most part, when there is wind the bass are more likely to commit on the swimmies. Flat greasy calm is 'Generally' not swim bait conditions.

Good luck

calico killer kevin
03-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Wind, 8" Hudd, 15lb fluoro, and some cahones.

basscatcher
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
the 8in huddleston phantom trout with at least 25lb line nothing small. even with all hudds don't go below 25lb

God Bless

basscatcher

fishindude420
03-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Wind, 8" Hudd, 15lb fluoro, and some cahones.

15 lb! F THAT!!!! lol

ToadsToadsOnly
03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
The 8 inch hudd is usually my go to bait; it gets frustrating when you get 7-10 followers with no commitments. In local ponds and Lakes I normally fish from shore and when I do so I usually fish the low light conditions in the morning or evenings. In LMV we fish off a boat I guess I have to get used to fishing off a boat also and Ill try in the evenings on a windy day. I have read on a few articles that when fishing a bait like the BBZ-1, when you see a bass following your bait you should jerk your bait erratically the bass will think the prey is evading them and will strike on reaction. Have any of you guys tried this technique?

ghost2uu
03-14-2009, 01:08 PM
throw the new phantom hudd its sick

calico killer kevin
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
15 lb! F THAT!!!! lol
The key...CAHONES! Oh yeah, and tell me in advance where you'll be
fishing so I can ninja scuba them out of the lake and sell them back to
you. LOL