PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
In august i will be going to australia for 3 weeks. Its kind of a vacation but mainly its to see if i want to go live there permanently.

Has anyone here ever lived abroad for a long duration of time?

I need some advice on how i should prepare for this move, what do i do with all my stuff, sell it leave it with someone? i cant take it all.

What about financial responsibilities like credit cards and such.

As far as what im going to do when i get there, i already have a place to stay and a job lined up.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

City Dad
03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I've thought about your question and then I though to my self "What Would Bigfoot Do?" and the answer came to me.

Wherever you go, roam through the woods completely naked.

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
i asked myself the same question, i came to the conclusion that i wont need my fishing gear. Bigfoot would freedive and catch a bluefin with his teeth.

City Dad
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
i asked myself the same question, i came to the conclusion that i wont need my fishing gear. Bigfoot would freedive and catch a bluefin with his teeth.

you could probably leave behind your razors too... or any grooming equipment for that matter...

Also, I think they drive on the other side of the road in Australia... so, if you're planning on darting out infront of un-suspecting motorists and then dashing into the underbrush leaving only foot prints and the faint smell of rotten eggs, you might want to remember that little fact...

lurk 182
03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
if you walk out on those credit cards, your move will almost certainly be permanent, so go ahead and sell your stuff now.

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 01:13 PM
no walking out on credit cards, im actually really good on my current debt standing. maybe i should have worded that question different.

if you walk out on those credit cards, your move will almost certainly be permanent, so go ahead and sell your stuff now.

Sue
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi Captain,

I think I'm authorized to answer that question ;)

If you are looking at moving there permanently, it really is up to you whether you sell your possessions or ship them over. If you pick up a local, free, weekly newspaper called "The Union Jack" or "British Weekly", they have adverts for loads of major shipping companies. (You can probably get one from your local British/Irish bar).
If you do decide to take your furniture etc with you, think about it carefully, it may not be suitable for the climate & territory etc.... It may be better for you to purchase new stuff there - think of it as "new stuff for a new life".

Credit cards: For the first couple of years, I would recommend keeping a US credit card. That way, if something serious happens and you have to come back home in a hurry for a length of time, you have a local card you can use and don't have to worry about going through the whole international banking pain in the arse. Because, quite frankly, it is a major pain in the arse!

Girls really don't like being called "Sheila" in Oz, it's a derogatory term to most women these days.
Look up on the internet the culture of the country and the city you'll be living in.
Do NOT expect everything to be "just like home". They may speak the same language, but there are huge differences in everything from cultural traditions to the food. Embrace the culture, and explore your new land.
Also, be aware that Australia has highly dangerous snakes and other critters that can do some damage.
Just remember that living there will be completely different to going on a vacation.

Good luck, and bring me back a bottle of vegemite. Oh, and when you're there on vacation, you must try the beer they call VB (Victorian Bitter, I think) and Castlemaine XXXX is also good.

Nessie Hunter
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Congrats on the decision!!

I would start hitting some fishing boards (like minds) and other local boards for the area you going to.. Ask questions and see if you can get the info you are looking for that way...
Sometimes 'regular' guys, are the best source for true info and help, they have no financial agenda....

By August you could be talking funny... :ROFL:

olfishergal
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
don't sell your fishing stuff until u talk to me......c u soon.....sue gives good advise. If you stay, it will be good to know I have someone to visit there...

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
lol the fishing stuff is going with me!!! i can always buy new underwear there.........
i can see the customs agent now asking me why i have an abundance of unibutter and offset hooks but no toothbrush or soap.

don't sell your fishing stuff until u talk to me......c u soon.....sue gives good advise. If you stay, it will be good to know I have someone to visit there...

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
thanks man my decision to go check out my prospect there really wasnt that hard to make. I look around everyday and see people losing homes and jobs like its nothing. i was hit with a 9k tax owed this year even though i payed my quarterlies on time and correctly. im sad to leave my country but i have a feeling its only going to get worse, theres oppurtunity knocking for me over there, plus an abundance of hot aussie chicks who dig americans! Ive been looking at some fishing sites of the area i will be in (wellington point) and the fishing looks hot hot hot, the house i will be staying in is about 10 minutes from the cost and is on moreton bay.

Congrats on the decision!!

I would start hitting some fishing boards (like minds) and other local boards for the area you going to.. Ask questions and see if you can get the info you are looking for that way...
Sometimes 'regular' guys, are the best source for true info and help, they have no financial agenda....

By August you could be talking funny... :ROFL:

sansou
03-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Onyx,

I'll be visiting.....and you know I'm not joking either!

Scoring Machine
03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm trying to think of what I could say after previously staying there for a couple of months.....

If you're into guns you're going to be VERY unhappy, since their laws are drastically different than our own...

You're correct to assume Aussie chicks like American guys...

There are snakes there that they do not have anti-venom for, if you're hiking take a walking stick...

Crocs can be found several miles from water, so when you're in the northern half of the country don't do anything stupid...

The country for the most part is very sports mad... cricket, rugby, Aussie rules football, tennis, golf, some hoops and soccer...

A lot of them really like their minced meat pies, I never could get a taste for them personally...

To say that Vegemite tastes horrible is an understatement. It's hard to describe, I haven't tasted anything like it before or since.

And finally, do NOT call Koalas.... Koala Bears, unless you are looking to get lectured about how they are NOT a bear.

A lot of the southern part of Australia actually reminded me a lot of various spots in California, visually at least, the people are obviously fairly different.

Fisherman57
03-12-2009, 10:11 PM
In august i will be going to australia for 3 weeks. Its kind of a vacation but mainly its to see if i want to go live there permanently.
Has anyone here ever lived abroad for a long duration of time?
I need some advice on how i should prepare for this move, what do i do with all my stuff, sell it leave it with someone? i cant take it all.
What about financial responsibilities like credit cards and such.

As far as what im going to do when i get there, i already have a place to stay and a job lined up.
any advice will be greatly appreciated.

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/borachoroo001.jpg

sansou
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Onyx,

When you join the Aussie FNN website, you need to change your screename to Joey_Boracho.

Captain Boracho
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
This picture has awesomeness written all over it. I officially have a new avatar!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/borachoroo001.jpg

Fisherman57
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
This picture has awesomeness written all over it. I officially have a new avatar!

LMAO!

Nice seeing you guys at Fred Hall show Onyx.....
We'll have to sit and discuss the Aussie life over a cold one at Parchers!

Dana