PDA

View Full Version : 3-11 Lazy Day at the Vine

ffunluving
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow, it was tough getting out of bed when the alarm buzzed at 4:00 am. Usually already awake, but finally rolled out at 4:17. Arrived at the Vine at 5:28, about 8 vehicles back. As always, a pleasure to listen to a few fish stories and get some tips from Mitz. Turns out they stocked yesterday back at the Flats. Fishing has been kind of hit and miss.

It's so dark and I'm not familiar with the Flats or road leading there so I head over to the boat launch ramp. Have it too myself, so I set up just to the right. Cast out garlic pb on one pole and power mouse on the other. Fish aren't biting or they're sleepy like me. Another guy finally drives over, he had trouble find the road to the Flats. Sets up to my left. The sun rises and I'm just not feeling any fish love by the ramp, so I'm preparing to expore the Flats.

Zinnnnngggg, line peels off the guy's reel. He doesn't have a net, so mine is put to good use to scoop up a 1 1/2 lb rainbow. Don't even have the fish out of the net when his other reel really begins to sing. This is a nice trout that jumps a few times and makes several runs. The guys sees the big belly as it rolls near the shore. He get's excited and pulls as the fish runs again. Snap....poor guy he lost a nice one.

With all the activity, I've momentarily forgot about my lines. I look over and see a bobber in the water and rod tip dancing. Race over and the power mouse has enticed a nice 2lber to dine and the fight is on. I'm victorious and quickly forget about the Flats. It's about 7:30 now and for the next hour Power mouse is the meal of choice.

They really aren't hitting that hard, so lot's of bobber rising a little and holding steady. Or fish runs and I swing and miss. I did end up with two more. The other guy is getting no love. A few more fishermen arrive, but the bite has really died down. I notice one guy get one on night crawler, so I inflate one and cast out. Bingo...didn't even reach the bottom when the bobber dances. I've got # 4 in the basket and it's only 9:30.

I'm wondering if I want to buy another pass and that seems to jinx everything as the trout seem to disappear. Even this guy decides to vacate the area.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/013-1.jpg

It seems like ideal fishing conditions. Cloudy, no wind, water is mostly clear, kind of cold...about two sweaters and a jacket temps. I start changing leader lengths, but to no avail. About 10:30 and I look down the shore line and it's lined with vehicles and fishing poles all the way to the rental boat dock. Unfortunately, there is no hooting or hollering and the only joy seems to come from stories shared.

Finally, I cast out a plump crawler and again before it hits the bottom a trout is swimming away with it. I set the hook and the fight is on. I get it in the net and just don't want to leave or shell out for another ticket...so I give it to a guy next to me who has not caught anything.

Stupid me, I should have used this as an opportunity to explore the Flats, but I'm feeling lazy today. Spend alot of time watching these two swim around.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/015.jpg

A school must be swimming along the shore as a few guys shout after bobbers pop off their fishing poles. I get a few tugs on my crawler and I'm at the ready. I feel the fish take a little line and set that hook in it's jaw. This is the nicest one of the day and it takes several minutes to get it to shore. Only 1:30, but I've had much better luck than most and decide to call it a day. Still feeling lazy, so here's a pix of my catch still in the basket.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/020.jpg

Interestingly enough, I had better luck with about 12 inch leader. Fish didn't seem to be that far out from shore. They seemed to be nibbling rather than biting. Very much an early morning bite.

Best of luck to all you fishermen and women.

Troutman65
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree that the trout were nibbling rather than attacking your bait. I was out on the lake today fishing. Great report and congrats on your limit.

troutdog
03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice job out there, that is a sweet looking basket of fish, congrats on your "lazy limit"! :Wink:

TD

Granny Fish
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
That looks like a nice, chunky limit to end your day with. Thanks for the story of your lazy day at the vine. We all need a lazy day like yours once in a while. :Wink:

Mondo21
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the report. Nice looking fish. I will be out there on Saturday. I use bells at the tip end of my rod,so I can walk around and talk to peeps like you. Hope to see you tomorrow. Cindy:Smile:

dixoncider
03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree lots of short bites and missed fish that day.