PDA

View Full Version : Tap Out cofounder killed in auto crash

bullets_full
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Offically confirmed on TapOut's website:

A bizarre car crash in Newport Beach involving two luxury cars early this morning left one person dead, a second injured, a third arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and a fourth person was detained by police long enough to sober up.
A Newport Beach Police Department officer allegedly witnessed the wreck and saw a red Ferrari and a white Porsche “spinning out of control” on Jamboree Road between Bison Avenue and East Bluff Drive at 12:57 a.m., Newport Beach Lt. Craig Fox said. The Ferrari “hit the curb and then collided with a pole.” The Porsche came to a stop at the scene for a few seconds and then sped away, Fox said.
“It was terrible. It was extensive damage to the vehicle,” Fox said, adding that the Ferrari appeared to have split in half.
An unidentified man in the Ferrari was pronounced dead. A woman in the car was ejected during the accident and taken to a hospital, where she was in stable condition, Fox said. He said police have not yet determined which one was driving and which one was the passenger.
Police located the Porsche on Bison Avenue just west of Jamboree Road shortly afterward and saw a man and a woman walking away from the car.
“The vehicle had moderate damage and appeared to be consistent with the car involved in the accident on Jamboree,” Fox said. “They determined that the male had been driving the Porsche, and he was arrested” for gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, he said.
Police identified the driver of the Porsche as Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa, and said his bail was set at $1 million. Newport Beach resident Lynn Marie Nabozny, 32, was a passenger in the Porsche and was arrested for public intoxication. She was released about 7:45 a.m. and will not be formally charged, Fox said. He said the investigation is ongoing but that police identified skid marks at the scene “consistent with excessive speeding.”

Frenchy
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Very sad day rip bud u will b missed

Atlaua
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I wonder if he tapped out before or after the EMTs arrived....

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM

dude, thats really bad humor...

RIP man

GD

brando123
03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
As much as i hate that company.. Very sad news RIP

JSAUCE818
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
not funny, this guy is human just like you and i and has loved ones like we do...
RIP Charles "MASK".

FISH ON
03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
i wonder if he tapped out before or after the emts arrived.... not kool .

Oz
03-11-2009, 11:09 PM
man that sucks a great guy like him had to check out like he did. he definatly will be missed.

shy_boxer
03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
R.I.P! He will be missed!

yamafish
03-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I wonder if he tapped out before or after the EMTs arrived....Dude... this ain't cool..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

This is a guy who built a company from his garage all the way up...
Last years reported sales were well over $100 mil. for this company.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/tapout.jpg
RIP Mask

jonshibata
03-12-2009, 06:30 AM
It's not cold to say that there's really nothing sad about someone dying from their own stupidity. Tragic, yes. Sad, no.

newster
03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Those light poles are no joke. I lost two friends in the past 5 years in accidents where the car hit a light pole or telephone pole. My condolences to his loved ones. When you feel like speeding, ask yourself what is worse:

Wasting a minute of your entire life, or wasting your entire life in a minute?

Also, thank God that there were no innocent kids in cars involved. Drunk drivers should go to jail whether they hit something or not.

DarkShadow
03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
not funny, this guy is human just like you and i and has loved ones like we do...

Something tells me you'd be singing a different tune if your loved one was in the passenger seat and is now near death due to his recklessness.

Hopefully that passenger pulls through, as I heard she is still in critical condition.

This is a guy who built a company from his garage all the way up...
Last years reported sales were well over $100 mil. for this company.

Commendable, sure.

But how does that change the fact he could've killed innocent people and his actions were illegal and deadly? For someone who built a company from his garage, you'd think he'd have a bit more sense to not be street racing a Ferrari through Orange County, with someone else in the passenger seat? You want to take your own life, go ahead. But to take out someone else?

Yes deaths are tragic and sad, but as people have already mentioned, it's a good thing nobody else was killed.

Atlaua
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
not kool .

You're right, I should have capitalized.

"Tapped ouT"

JSAUCE818
03-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Something tells me you'd be singing a different tune if your loved one was in the passenger seat and is now near death due to his recklessness.
of course id be singing a different tune,who wouldnt?:Rolls Eyes:. Just the way dude delivered the comment was trying to be funny about this when it wasnt at all. I feel bad for everybody that was involved in this no matter who is at fault, was it wrong of them to be driving reckless? Absolutely im not disagreeing with that at all.

Granny Fish
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM

The answer is before. The car was sheared in half, it's suspected that he was killed on impact.

Sad story.

Lightning
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Not many have done as much for the sport.He will be sorely missed.

ghetto dad
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Hopefully that passenger pulls through, as I heard she is still in critical condition.

Commendable, sure.

But how does that change the fact he could've killed innocent people and his actions were illegal and deadly? For someone who built a company from his garage, you'd think he'd have a bit more sense to not be street racing a Ferrari through Orange County, with someone else in the passenger seat? You want to take your own life, go ahead. But to take out someone else?

Yes deaths are tragic and sad, but as people have already mentioned, it's a good thing nobody else was killed.

I can absolutley GUARANTEE everyone on this board has made stupid mistakes in their lifetime. "Would've, could've" etc does not make it right to joke about ANYONE dying...period.....

GD

JENSEN500
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM

"Tapped ouT"

What a Jerk off !!!!!

JSAUCE818
03-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I can absolutley GUARANTEE everyone on this board has made stupid mistakes in their lifetime. "Would've, could've" etc does not make it right to joke about ANYONE dying...period.....
GD
exactly......

GeordyBass
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
What a Jerk off !!!!!

I second that......

Atlaua
03-13-2009, 09:32 AM
What a Jerk off !!!!!

Considering the human being you are paying tribute to, I'll take that as a compliment.

mth1997
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Considering the human being you are paying tribute to, I'll take that as a compliment.

Wow, 19 posts in the past year and a half, and three of those on this thread? Hmmm...

What does this comment mean, exactly? Did you know Charles Lewis? Although I don't like the fanbase that TapouT brought to the sport that I love and practice, several guys that I used to train with knew "Mask" and he was unanimously regarded as a standup guy.

Disrespecting the dead= douche-baggery

And there's no report of Charles Lewis being DUI. The other driver was, but not the guy who died. In fact, he was coming home from the gym. His close friends say he did not drink alcohol at all. Let's see what the official report says before we go assuming that Mask was DUI.

fishermanwife
03-18-2009, 10:44 PM

What a http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/donkey.jpg

If you know what I mean!! Have some respect!!:Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes:

BIGRED KILLA
03-18-2009, 10:54 PM

"Tapped ouT"

Not cool. May Karma Run your way.

Bigred

Atlaua
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Wow, 19 posts in the past year and a half, and three of those on this thread? Hmmm...

What does this comment mean, exactly? Did you know Charles Lewis? Although I don't like the fanbase that TapouT brought to the sport that I love and practice, several guys that I used to train with knew "Mask" and he was unanimously regarded as a standup guy.

Disrespecting the dead= douche-baggery

And there's no report of Charles Lewis being DUI. The other driver was, but not the guy who died. In fact, he was coming home from the gym. His close friends say he did not drink alcohol at all. Let's see what the official report says before we go assuming that Mask was DUI.

I didn't know Hitler either, but from what I've read, I think it is safe for me to say he wasn't exactly the nicest of fellows.

I don't remember bringing up Lewis' BAC. He could have been stone-cold sober for all I care. If we believe the initial reports - and there has been nothing to contradict them to date - then Lewis placed himself, his passenger, the occupant(s) of the other car, and any bystanders in extreme danger. His irresponsible acts cost him his life.

Forgive me if I lack sympathy for a Darwin Award candidate.

JENSEN500
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
congrats.....mr."family guy" avatar hit 20 posts today!!! :Finger:

mth1997
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I wrote something to the effect that Hitler, Pol Pot, etc. are exempt from that comment in my post, but I took it out because I thought that was obvious. So congrats captain obvious!!!

Here's a link to a story about the crash: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update-Tapout-Owner-Dead-in-Car-Crash-16532

This is from an MMA website and I fully expect them to describe the accident in the best possible light for Charles Lewis, but it is pretty decent in that respect. There is a line that says something like "the crash did not look like street racing." If you believe all the INITIAL reports you read, you're going to be mistaken about a great many things grasshopper. The wise gather facts over time to reach conclusions.

And the BAC comment was for the others who posted comments about him being DUI.

sullyfish
03-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Atlaua....

Are you the same guy who let some "dude" handle his "piece" and pierce the tip of his johnson

TShaffer
03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I didn't know Hitler either, but from what I've read, I think it is safe for me to say he wasn't exactly the nicest of fellows.

I don't remember bringing up Lewis' BAC. He could have been stone-cold sober for all I care. If we believe the initial reports - and there has been nothing to contradict them to date - then Lewis placed himself, his passenger, the occupant(s) of the other car, and any bystanders in extreme danger. His irresponsible acts cost him his life.

Forgive me if I lack sympathy for a Darwin Award candidate.

Wow. Didn't your parents or whoever raised you teach you to have some respect for the dead? The poor guy died for God's sake. He didn't wake up wanting to kill anyone or himself for that matter. Have some compassion, we all make mistakes.