PDA

View Full Version : SF Valley Sunfish? Here's what's in it for you...

City Dad
03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm looking to take a group of youngters on a sunfish trip. I am familiar with Legg and Santa Fe, but we live in Van Nuys, so it would be really great to find a spot with a shorter drive.anyhow, I would be deeply grateful for any insight - so grateful, that I'll tie you your choice of a dozen flies or a dozen mini-jigs for your knowledge if you're willing to share... and please know - we never mess-up anyone's spot;)also, if you have some kids who want to fish, BY ALL MEANS PM. City Girl and I have enough equipment to go around and we dig meeting up and fishing with new friends.

jim532
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Lake balboa is always productive for tiliapia. Especially if you're goal is to put kids on the fish.
I can't think of anyplace else close to you that I've fished.

City Dad
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Lake balboa is always productive for tiliapia. Especially if you're goal is to put kids on the fish.
I can't think of anyplace else close to you that I've fished.

Thanks, Jim. Balboa is a regular haunt of ours - but we have a heck of a time finding fish from February to June... what's the secret?

City Girl is ready to begin fly fishing and I've found 'gill and shellcrackers to be far more aggressive toward artificials than the algea-grazing tilapia, so that's why I'm hoping to find some sunfish somewhere.

Again, thanks! I sure do appreciate you help. Do you need some flies for mini jigs?

FishinMich
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't know of any spots close to the SF Valley but if you end up finding one, we'll meet up. My kiddo loves to fish and it's been a while since I've last taken her. Sounds like fun.

City Dad
03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know of any spots close to the SF Valley but if you end up finding one, we'll meet up. My kiddo loves to fish and it's been a while since I've last taken her. Sounds like fun.

okay! As I mentioned, we tend to find good fishing at Balboa in the Summer. We'll put out the word before our next trip.

FishinMich
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds good. We've fished Balboa in the summer also. The kids love it.

I wonder if there's anything good for kids at Reseda Park. Never even knew you can fish there, up until seeing a few posts on this board.

pasadenafishin
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
the only lake that i can think of nearby you is hansen dam. Mabey try fly fishing there right after a stock?

City Dad
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
the only lake that i can think of nearby you is hansen dam. Mabey try fly fishing there right after a stock?

thanks for the info. have you ever fished there?

lalo56
03-11-2009, 05:50 PM

I live like 10 min away. But all i have heard from there are trout. I have never been there but been wanting to, when i can make time.

vagabond
03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Sounds good. We've fished Balboa in the summer also. The kids love it.

I wonder if there's anything good for kids at Reseda Park. Never even knew you can fish there, up until seeing a few posts on this board.

Reseda might be dead,but afew yrs ago a was passing by and saw a few fools catching larmouth bass under a pound on nightcrawler pieces.The messed up thing is that they kept them.But they was there...

Ifishtoolittle
03-14-2009, 10:51 PM
My tip is wait a little longer maybe between 2-4 weeks. That's when the water gerts warmer and Sunfish at the Legg Begin to kick @$$. Around Late may to mid-june is very good for explosive and agressive panfish, but most of them are on the smaller side 4-6". Hope this helps City Dad. I just hope the poachers won't keep the 4 inchers now.