PDA

View Full Version : need some info on avet reels

NoHo ART
03-11-2009, 02:00 AM
i am thinking of picking up a few avet reels on friday, but im new to any type of conventional or casting reels.
im thinking of getting:
1. sx single speed
1. sx 2 speed
1. mxl 2 speed
1. lx 2 speed

any info on what type of rigs, lures, and types of fish i can use this reels for would be helpful.
or any suggestions on any different avet reels.
and what do you guys think of avet rods?

thanks in advance guys

tunafisherman
03-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I have 12 avets great reels haven't any problems with them. Single speed or two speed. What are you going to use them for and what type of line. I love the jx 2speed and the lx 2speed. The jx I fish 30lb and the lx 40lb. Great for jigs and for offshore tuna fishing. It's all up to you what you like and feel will work for you. The new cast control works great. Good luck.

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
i am thinking of picking up a few avet reels on friday, but im new to any type of conventional or casting reels.
im thinking of getting:
1. sx single speed
1. sx 2 speed
1. mxl 2 speed
1. lx 2 speed

any info on what type of rigs, lures, and types of fish i can use this reels for would be helpful.

thanks in advance guys

Yo art, whats UP homie???? Damn, I turn my head for a minute, you turn all professional and baller on me!! lol....

That all depends on what you are going to use them for. IMO, you do not need an SX in 2 speed. And from what I hear, the LX is too big. I would grab a JX 2 speed instead, you can fish 30-50 on that reel, with your spectra backing. Thats whats going to cost you, is the spectra.

This is what i use my avets for:

SX single 15 lb
MXL single 20 lb
MXL 2 speed 25 lb
JX single 30 lb
JX 2 speed 40 lb
4/02 2 speed 50-60 lb (troll)

As far as the avet rods, I havent fished them, but i hear they suck. A lot of them arent splined right, as with alot of lower quality other factory wrapped rod companies.

Good luck homie, hope we fish together soon, before you go on your 16 day trip with ricky ray!! lol

Hope this helps man

GD

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I have 12 avets great reels haven't any problems with them. Single speed or two speed. What are you going to use them for and what type of line. I love the jx 2speed and the lx 2speed. The jx I fish 30lb and the lx 40lb. Great for jigs and for offshore tuna fishing. It's all up to you what you like and feel will work for you. The new cast control works great. Good luck.

sup man, long time no fish with!! :Smile:

GD

cappo
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
ya ditch the sx 2speed.

victor101
03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
SX -20#
I use this as my bass and light iron reel when targeting bonito...

MXL 2speed-30#
This is my Live bait setup when targeting Yellows or WSB...i also use it for tossing tady 45s and the like

JX 2speed-40#
This is my yo-yo iron reel...also use it for deep drop Rockfishing

LX 2speed-40-50#
Deep drop rockfish and light trolling

I would suggest getting the MXJ2speed instead of the SX2speed...you dont really need 2 speed on the SX unless your a tackle ho like Osiito, Hak, or Ricky-Ray. I also plan to replace my LX with an HXJ...

victor101
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
As or the rods...Havent tried them but i hear they suck. If you're gonna invest money I would suggest going with Seeker or Calstar.

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
SX -20#

MXL 2speed-30#
This is my Live bait setup when targeting Yellows or WSB...i also use it for tossing tady 45s and the like

JX 2speed-40#

LX 2speed-40-50#

I would suggest getting the MXJ2speed instead of the SX2speed...you dont really need 2 speed on the SX unless your a tackle ho like Osiito, Hak, or Ricky-Ray. I also plan to replace my LX with an HXJ...

lol.....

GD

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
As or the rods...Havent tried them but i hear they suck. If you're gonna invest money I would suggest going with Seeker or Calstar.

Hey Art, check with Moon...hes got brand new gear AND used gear at great prices...also does kick *** custom work bro....

GD

hakaveli
03-11-2009, 09:19 AM
SX -20#

MXL 2speed-30#

JX 2speed-40#

LX 2speed-40-50#

LMAO LOL im still getting there

hakaveli
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM

ya the avet rods suck ballz they are made in china and saw them for 100 at the fred hall show . Might as well go calstar or seeker

NoHo ART
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
well im not sure what type of fishing im gonna be doing:ROFL: i guess whatever is biting lol im planing on hitting a few 1.5 and 2 day trips this year...
so the sx 2 speed and the lx are taken off my list add a jx 2 speed that should be plenty for a rookie like me right? and keep the rest of the cash for some quality rods.

Yo art, whats UP homie???? Damn, I turn my head for a minute, you turn all professional and baller on me!! lol....

GD

lol i been waiting for fred hall since the last overnighter we went on together.
so at fred hall i spoke to someone that does not want me to name them in public. im going to see him on friday :EyePop: i cant wait lol

NoHo ART
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey Art, check with Moon...hes got brand new gear AND used gear at great prices...also does kick *** custom work bro....

GD

who is he and where can i find him?

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
well im not sure what type of fishing im gonna be doing:ROFL: i guess whatever is biting lol im planing on hitting a few 1.5 and 2 day trips this year...
so the sx 2 speed and the lx are taken off my list add a jx 2 speed that should be plenty for a rookie like me right? and keep the rest of the cash for some quality rods.

lol i been waiting for fred hall since the last overnighter we went on together.
so at fred hall i spoke to someone that does not want me to name them in public. im going to see him on friday :EyePop: i cant wait lol

oh, you mean for hookups...all good man

yeah, the JX for now should be as large of a reel that you need man...and if youre implying you got a hook up on avets, get ready for PM stalking from hakavelli and Ricky ray!! :ROFL:

good luck man,

GD

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
who is he and where can i find him?

hes a member on here brother....MOON....just search...he has a shop....

GD

NoHo ART
03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
cool as soon as i have the reels ill look for him.... we'll see how good of a hook up it is on friday :Smile:

ghetto dad
03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
cool as soon as i have the reels ill look for him.... we'll see how good of a hook up it is on friday :Smile:

:Secret: :Secret: :Secret:

GD

Ricky-Ray
03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
im thinking of getting:
1. sx single speed
1. sx 2 speed
1. mxl 2 speed
1. lx 2 speed

thanks in advance guys

Ok here's my opinion. Those are great choices in reels but I would make a few changes. Granted you don't really need an sx 2 speed but I like having one. Especially when you hook onto something big. I used the sx 2 speed at Guadalupe last year and while fishing 25# line granted it's not needed but when it came to straight up and down on the yft, I just popped it in low gear and slowly started winching him up, and it was gaffed before he got a chance to get away. Having the low gear got him on the deck that much faster. I've also been on a trip where we were fishing and one of my friends hooks onto a 40# halibut on 20# on his sx 2speed. Popped it in low and got it to the boat also. Granted it could have been done in single speed but one of the things I learned from Bruce Smith Captian of the Shogun, is that once you hook onto a fish you want to get it on the deck as soon as possible. Once the fight is on the clock is ticking and the longer you fight it the greater chance it has of getting away whether it be bent hooks, bad knot, other anglers, anchor rope, etc.

IMO If you can afford the 2 speed and you want it go ahead and get it. 2 out of 3 sx's that I own are 2 speeds and I love them.

I would consider getting the MXJ instead of the MXL, and also getting the JX instead of the LX. The only difference is that the MXL and the LX are wider spool versions of the same reel. With the advent of spectra you can get more line of your reels now so I firmly believe that for local southern cal fishing you do not need the wide spool unless you are fishing straight mono. The only place where I've been to where I can truely see the need for the LX with it's wide spool is Guadalup Island on a 5 day trip.

As for rods to go with the reels, usually anything calstar or seeker will complement those reels really well. The SX and MX series will fish 20-30# easily and the JX/LX series will fish 30-40# without any problems. Here's what I would typically line up my reels to go with:

SX - 20#, Calstar 800L
SX 2 speed - 25#, Calstar 800M
MXJ 2 speed - 30#, Calstar 800M
JX 2 speed - 40#, Calstar 800H

I've got 10 Avet's ranging from SX all the way up to 30w and I love them all. Never had any problems with any of them at all.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ricky-Ray
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
hes a member on here brother....MOON....just search...he has a shop....

GD

Correct Moon has a shop. Here's the info.

Fisherman's Access
1021 E. Imperial Hwy #G2
Brea, CA 92821
714-674-0064

mako chaser
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Correct Moon has a shop. Here's the info.

Fisherman's Access
1021 E. Imperial Hwy #G2
Brea, CA 92821
714-674-0064

I thought his shop is in the city of Bellflower? He also has a good used selection of gear.

9836 Flower St
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 925-5200

Ricky-Ray
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I thought his shop is in the city of Bellflower? He also has a good used selection of gear.

9836 Flower St
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 925-5200

Your correct. Sorry I gave the wrong shop.

NoHo ART
03-11-2009, 05:51 PM
cool thanks guy a lot of helpful information