PDA

View Full Version : What saltwater set up to buy

imd12nv
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
So ive been fresh water fishing for many year and want to get into salt water fishing. Dont know if ill like it or how often ill doi it so i need your help. Im looking to buy two salt water setups. Mostly will do charter boats and in shore fishing. looking to spend about 200-500 or less for both setups. i could probably use some of my bass stuff for in shore. i know theres many answers to what im asking so im just looking for some guidance. thanks ahead of time.

DavidE
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
You can definitely use your bass gear for inshore fishing. I've landed 20# WSB on Abu Garcia 5500/American Spirit 15-30# combo. My go to combo for Bones is a Curado 300/Teramar combo. So basically you can get alot out of what you already have.

For what gear to buy maybe a Seeker 670 which is a good 30# set up for bait and can also handle jigs. Pair it with a Sealine 40 and you should be good. For that combo you're probably looking around $250.

And the second that depends if your gonna do surface or bottom fishing. So many combos. Just look in the classifieds and spend less and build from there.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Im assuming you will be shore fishing, sometime .i would suggest a cardiff 300 with a 7.6 ft to 8ft med. Heavy casting setup.for thowing hard baits, and plastics.. A sedona 2500 spinning reel ,with an extra fast 7.2 ft to 7.6 drop shot rod rated for 8 lb to 12 lb. This covers all your needs, at a great price. Personnaly, i dont use any thing ,other than my shimano clalris flipping stick 7ft 6" with my cardiff 300 ,off the 1/2 day, and 3/4 day boats. Never had a fish on ,i wasnt able to handle . Hope this helps ,and peace out....mike the pmb....

That Dang Guy
03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
A Curado 300 is a very versatile. You may already have it in your arsenal if you do any big bait fishing. I've used to land local yellowtail, albacore, bluefin and yellowfin up to 30lb. It's more than enough to handle the three B's (bass, barracuda and bonies). I love to fish it with 25lb and a bit of spectra backing, but 20lb would be more than enough locally. My only gripe about it is the handle. It's a bit small and short, but you'll find that a slower pump up and faster down pump keeps the momentum going in your direction and prevents the fish from turning it's head back down. Match this reel with a west coast teramar. A Calcutta 400 or a Luna would fit into the same description, except it has a bit more capacity.

You'll definitely need a second outfit just incase you get into the larger grade of fish or you plan on doing any bottom fishing. A torium 16 or Saltist 30 would be very good choices. I own a Sealine-X and the lack of an antireverse bearing drives me absolutely insane. Fitting this setup 30lb would cover nearly all your bases. The only thing you might be weak on is fishing seabass in heavy cover where short topshots on spectra rule the sea.

Ricky-Ray
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
A Curado 300 is a very versatile. You may already have it in your arsenal if you do any big bait fishing. I've used to land local yellowtail, albacore, bluefin and yellowfin up to 30lb. It's more than enough to handle the three B's (bass, barracuda and bonies). I love to fish it with 25lb and a bit of spectra backing, but 20lb would be more than enough locally. My only gripe about it is the handle. It's a bit small and short, but you'll find that a slower pump up and faster down pump keeps the momentum going in your direction and prevents the fish from turning it's head back down. Match this reel with a west coast teramar. A Calcutta 400 or a Luna would fit into the same description, except it has a bit more capacity.

You'll definitely need a second outfit just incase you get into the larger grade of fish or you plan on doing any bottom fishing. A torium 16 or Saltist 30 would be very good choices. I own a Sealine-X and the lack of an antireverse bearing drives me absolutely insane. Fitting this setup 30lb would cover nearly all your bases. The only thing you might be weak on is fishing seabass in heavy cover where short topshots on spectra rule the sea.

Granted the Curado 300 could land albies and yellowtail I'm not sure it would be my first choice as go to reel when they are biting. I would go with something a little heavier duty if the albie's and yellowtail show up, especially if you are on a cattle boat. Espcially if you are on the troll or paddy hopping you'd want to get your fish on the deck as soon as possible so the boat can get back to chasing the school or paddy.

If the albies and yellowtail are biting, I'd be putting the curado 300 back in the rack and I'd be grabbing my SX or MXJ instead. That's just my opinion.

hakaveli
03-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Granted the Curado 300 could land albies and yellowtail I'm not sure it would be my first choice as go to reel when they are biting. I would go with something a little heavier duty if the albie's and yellowtail show up, especially if you are on a cattle boat. Espcially if you are on the troll or paddy hopping you'd want to get your fish on the deck as soon as possible so the boat can get back to chasing the school or paddy.

If the albies and yellowtail are biting, I'd be putting the curado 300 back in the rack and I'd be grabbing my SX or MXJ instead. That's just my opinion.

Preach AVET MASTER HAHAHA

ghetto dad
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Preach AVET MASTER HAHAHA

:ROFL: I was soooo thinking the same thing...If anyone asked for advice on a trout reel, RR would recommend an SX loaded with 2 lb.......:ROFL:

GD

Ricky-Ray
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Not preaching, it's just what I would be doing because that's the gear that I have.... I had a trini 20 instead then I would be saying I'd be putting my curado 300 back in the rack and grabbing my trini 20 instead.

ghetto dad
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
So ive been fresh water fishing for many year and want to get into salt water fishing. Dont know if ill like it or how often ill doi it so i need your help. Im looking to buy two salt water setups. Mostly will do charter boats and in shore fishing. looking to spend about 200-500 or less for both setups. i could probably use some of my bass stuff for in shore. i know theres many answers to what im asking so im just looking for some guidance. thanks ahead of time.

hmmmm...two rods is a tough one homie....

ok, IMO, i would recommend getting one of the Seeker Inshore Rods, matched with an Avet SX, or a Newell 220. you can fish 12-20 with that outfit.

Then i would def recommend a jig stick, 8 foot. Maybe and Seeker 80M or Calstar 800M, matched with either a Newell 322/332, or an Avet MXJ or JX. You can fish 25-40 with that.

I usually recommend at least THREE rods for anything local/islands, and that also depends on the time of year it is. Ill usually take my 12 lb, 15, and 25 in the spring/summer months, I can handle anything with those 3 above outfits.

My 3 local/island favs:

Talon 1087 with Newell 220 for 12 lb (plastics/flyline baits)
Seeker 858-9 with Avet SX for 15 lb
Super Seeker D8/or Truline D8 with Avet MXL for 25 (iron/larger baits, etc)

Hope this helps, and just an FYI, there are a couple shops that sell quality used gear, for a fraction of the price, and I believe with the same warranties.

GD

That Dang Guy
03-12-2009, 02:09 PM

I wasn't trying to state that Curado would be the end all of tackle, but combined with his second rod (Torium/Trinidad 16, Avet MX, Saltist 30, etc) would cover quite a bit of ground for someone with only two setups. Cranking in Calicos and sand bass on Trini 20 doesn't sound exactly like a good time to me.

imd12nv
03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. im at work now so i cant type much but i have a couple other questions. so it seems like at least three setups is the way to go right?

ghetto dad
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. im at work now so i cant type much but i have a couple other questions. so it seems like at least three setups is the way to go right?

Thats just my opinion bro...some will say more, some will say less...but i mean if you want to be TOTALLY covered for those kinds of trips, then yes, IMO, 3 would be much better than 2.....good luck bro!!

GD

Ricky-Ray
03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with Ghetto Dad. If you can afford/want to get 3 setup's you'll be much better off. You can have a light setup to fish the calico's or inshore with 12-15#, a medium setup with either 20 or 25#, and a heavy outfit with 30. Do that and you've pretty much covered your bases for the southern cal fishing.

Heck, I'll jump on a 3/4 day with as many as 5 or 6 rods but that could just be me....gotta have backups. :)

calico killer kevin
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
HHHHMMM.....okay let's see if I can tackle this:

15lb-25lb mono with 65lb spectra- Curado 300 & Teramar TMCX76H
25lb-35lb mono with 80lb spectra- Avet MXJ & Teramar TMC80H

This should set you back about $600-$650, but will tackle ANYTHING on
any local 1/2, or 3/4. For overnight, you will need at least one more, but
this is good for now.

Ricky-Ray
03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
IMO I would go 40# spectra for the curado 300 and 65# spectra for the mxj.

ghetto dad
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!! Dude, you dont have to have spectra on any of those reels, especially for local man.....give dude a break guys, hes just starting ocean fishing....

GD

12 lb rod
15 lb rod
25 lb rod......

youre covered, all mono!!

GD