PDA

View Full Version : Eating of Big Bear Lake Trout

Troutman65
03-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I recently heard from someone that many people don't eat the trout. anyone know anything about this issue?

DccFISHerMan
03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I have heard of the issue but have since ate fish from there.... Im still breathing. lol

BBL2Baja
03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Nothing wrong with them. Tasty. Been eating them regularly for years.

Personally, I'd rather eat a trout from a cold water, mile-high, stream-fed alpine lake than one planted in a sandpit on the side of the 91 freeway. But, that's just me...

Later,
Scott

Fastfish
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Or how about eating trouts from Prado with all its wonderful local runoff or Guasti or Pudd come on Big Bear is the closest thing we got to pristine I'm not gonna worry even a little about the fish I pull from there.

Fastfish

Skyler
03-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I think the current problem actually only affected the LMB population. High mercury levels, due to some dumped batteries near the marina or something. Serves people right for keeping bass out of BBL anyways, lol. The high mercury levels were not present in the lake's trout population though. So I say eat 'em up. They're definitely tasty little buggers, he he he.

FISHNFOOL9
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
personally, i'd rather eat a trout from a cold water, mile-high, stream-fed alpine lake than one planted in a sandpit on the side of the 91 freeway.

Later,
scott
:rofl: X 100!!!!

flytyingreloader
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I've been eating BBL trout for 45 years, and I haven't yet formed an extra arm or sprouted a fin out of my back. Kind of a shame, really--a third hand would be right good to have when working on reels or detail-stripping a S&W revolver. :)

JENSEN500
03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
nothing wrong with them. Tasty. Been eating them regularly for years.

Personally, i'd rather eat a trout from a cold water, mile-high, stream-fed alpine lake than one planted in a sandpit on the side of the 91 freeway. But, that's just me...

Later,
scott

amen brother!!

FISH_HUNTER
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Nothing wrong with them. Tasty. Been eating them regularly for years.

Personally, I'd rather eat a trout from a cold water, mile-high, stream-fed alpine lake than one planted in a sandpit on the side of the 91 freeway. But, that's just me...

Later,
Scott

:rofl: X 100!!!!

amen brother!!

:Beer Toast::Smash: X 100000

dockboy
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Trout wouldnt typically be high vectors of mercury poisoning like bass anyways. Bass eat more minnows and other finfish than trout, and thats where mercury levels build up in the food chain. The more baitfish a predator like a largemouth eats, the more mercury that was accumulated in the baitifish builds up i nthe predators body.

Troutman65
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all your replys. I was just wondering what the story was.

crappie stalker
03-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Trout wouldnt typically be high vectors of mercury poisoning like bass anyways. Bass eat more minnows and other finfish than trout, and thats where mercury levels build up in the food chain. The more baitfish a predator like a largemouth eats, the more mercury that was accumulated in the baitifish builds up i nthe predators body.
Reading clarifies most things.. This answers the question i was gonna ask.. Why the bass would have higher levels.
Thanks
CS