PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Spectra/ leader combination?

MikeAce00
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi All,

For inshore fishing for bay bass I use a Diawa Coastal baitcaster currently spooled with 8lb Cuda line. I'm thinking of switching back to spectra (maybe power pro) and a fluorocarbon leader.

What spectra do you recommend? (I was using the fire line crystal but I found it stiff at times and difficult to cast.) Also what line size 8lb or 6lb diameter?

And what fluoro do you recommend? So many choices these days... red/green/gold tint...no tint.. abraisix or invisix...standard seaguar? also 6 or 8lb?

Thanks for tips,

Mike

Skyler
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I use 10 pound fireline with 8-10 pound flouro topshots, tied uni-to-uni. As for the brand of flouro, I'm still shopping around. I have tryed 5 different kinds, and so far I like the Stren 100% flourocarbon the best. Good knot strength.

Ricky-Ray
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I have 40# izor spectra on my curado 300 for bass fishing. I usually fish 15# flouro in either seaguar, blackwater.

I got one spool of japanese seaguar in 17# and have only used it once so far and so far I'm liking it. It seems to be a bit thinner than the regualr seaguar and it's not as tough. The line feels a bit more limp so it's easier to tie knots.

surfnfish
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
For that reel, fish 30 pound izorline braid with an 8 pound mono leader of XXX. If the fish get real line shy you can fish flouro, but I personally think that you need at least a little stretch so as not to pull hooks.

lurk 182
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
power pro and invizx, there's a good thread on knots around here somewhere. the suffix braid has been ok too and i'm curious about the stren sonic braid but i've got a spool of PP to go through first.

MikeAce00
03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks for sharing everyone. Looks like maybe they all work with no real consensus. I'll probably go with #30 braid (8lb dia.) and 8 Flouro or just make leaders from my #8 Cuda line. I picked up Mike Gardners video at Fred Hall and he says nothing bigger than 6lb line but to be honest the video looked a tad dated.

Anyone else care to share...

Best Spectra?
Best Fluoro?

Thank You,

Mike

mickeysindahouse
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't like the Power Pro much. I used to use it exclusively but I started noticing that it's not "perfectly round" and digs into itself pretty nasty when strained, it's also got a coating that ends up sticking to itself which leads to a shorter cast. Here are some of my top choices:

Braid:
Daiwa Samurai (super sleek, fine and strong & stronger than similar braided lines - also a bit pricier but well worth it)
Suffix (Not sticky and also pretty strong)

Fluoro:
Seaguar Invis-X (love it, never failed me!)
Yo-Zuri Hybrid - (stretchy yet sensitive enough to tell structure from strikes)

Things to consider about Braided Lines:
30# Daiwa Samurai = 6# Mono Diameter
30# Suffix = 8# Mono Diameter
30# Power Pro = 8# Mono Diameter

surfnfish
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I picked up Mike Gardners video at Fred Hall and he says nothing bigger than 6lb line but to be honest the video looked a tad dated. Hahaha :ROFL: I work for Mike on his boat and he still fishes only 6 pound inside the harbor, that video is close to 20 years old too just so you know. Mike's just oldschool he'll never make the transition to braid even though he admits its way more sensitive.

ToadsToadsOnly
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I swear by suffix performance braid I use it for largemouth, Halibut, I have also caught huge salmon on it in Sacramento. The 30lb works awesome for throwing big baits/ Lucky Crafts for the halibut. The great thing about the suffix it does not flatten out when fishing/casting and tangles less than other braids I have used. You could also tie regular knots with suffix without it slipping. The only downfall I think Suffix has is the color fades from a dark green to a lighter green. As far as leader you cannot go wrong with Seaguar.

MikeAce00
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help. Lots of great info. I think I'll give the 30lb Suffix braid a shot. As for Seagar, is there much of a difference between the Invisix and Abraisix? Or is it all the same... inluding there castable flouro?

Thank You,

Mike