PDA

View Full Version : Last minute changes to Henshaw

GdHkSet1
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Had the boat and fishing plan laid out for a SAT Lake Skinner trout fest, picked up my crazed Crappie fishin bro in Murrieta at 6am gassed and coffeed up and all of a sudden he talked me into going to Lake Henshaw for some slabbing, so I-15 south to 76 we went- see ya Skniner. Got to the lake, around 7am, no wind partly cloudy but a nice chill in the air, water temp was pea soup and 57f.

Only about 8-10 boats on the water, we metered fish btwn 4-15 feet deep they did'nt want anything to do with our jigs, went toward the dam area and my friend had a couple of hits on white but got jerked them out to fast. Nasty wind picked up right at noon, so we headed in after bouncing around with no luck.

After lunch up at the roadside cafe, we head down to the dock and talk with a ol timer who drove down from L.A, he had 5 slabs in the basket, and had alot of extra minnows so invited us to join him and we brought the chairs and brews down and joined him until the late afternoon. He said any week now they are going to explode-it;s just a matter of time..

mstersmith
03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I am heading there this weekend. It is still cold but the water is warming up. I love the catfish there in the summer. Missed the spawn last year but did well on the crappie. Minnows are the way to go ATM. I am picking some up and hitting the boat dack early saterday. When the bite is on it is nuts there. I went up there 3 years ago my first time in July and slayed them. Been my favorite lake in the summer since.

GdHkSet1
03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Good luck on SAT, Friday is going to be the warmest but not sure of the moon phase. Watch that cable on the end we had a couple of Marines fishing with us and the fella had a good one on but it wrapped up on that anchor cable.

mstersmith
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Oh man I may need to stop talking about that lake at work then. Most of us Marines dont know how close a great place to fish is and I encourage my young Marines to get out there.