PDA

View Full Version : LNL Trout Hunt, 3/9

Marley
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Bought a new float tube last weekend and wanted to get it wet. Each of my previous tubes had been broken in at 'Niguel, so it was only fitting that this one was, too.
I wanted trout. Of course, I picked the absolute worst day to chase them at my targeted water, what with the last plant being two weeks ago and the next truck coming in tonight. Ya can't catch 'em if they're not there, as I would soon find out, especially when you don't get in the water until 11:00. But it was a beautiful day and it's always a treat to fish this gem.
I did manage to catch the biggest crappie I have ever personally seen, a spotted beast that had to weigh close to two pounds. It was huge! And, it's still swimming (and hopefully spawning soon.) It hit my beloved herbed wiggler slow-trolled just off the bottom. I managed a small bluegill from a spot that gave up three or four good hits, but they were likely bream as well. No bass at all, and I usually can count on a handful of them this time of the year. What's up with that?
Saw one trout caught that came to a young lady fishing the beach by the docks, a nice three-pounder. Guess I'll have to get back out there Sunday (if I don't hit up Irvine for the leftover toads from their Saturday derby!)