PDA

View Full Version : Local Parks Fly Day 3/8 am

chivo
03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Was going to head out to perris and i figured i'd stay local and play around with my fly rod at some local parks. Knowing nothing about fly fishing and flys, I hit up a tackle shop last night and picked up some nymphs and other misc panfish flys. My goal was to catch anything on my new fly rod. Left my house at 5:50 and was fishing Mile square park at 5:55am. Hit up the south lake for 40 minutes and headed up to the north lake. NADA. Threw a couple nymphs, kinda just seeing if i coule get a gill or trout, again, not knowing what flys work best for trout of gills.
Next i hit up Central Park for an hour. The water level seems to be up from a few months ago. Again i just threw an assortment of flys for NADA.
Next hit up tiny little carr park. Same story. NADA.
Was on my way back to my house when i thought of Cenntenial park. I always catch a bucket full of green sunfish. Made a lap around the lake came back and left. NADA.
Wasn't sure what was going to happen throwing the fly for the 1st time on a lake. But it was a good day anyways. Nobody i seen at all 4 city parks caught anything. So i really didn't feel bad. I love fishing so, i didn't care. I just relized that it was day light savings, so i guess i left my house at 4:50am. Duh!!! I guess that's why the parks were dead. Anyways good times

smokinflies
03-08-2009, 02:11 PM
great to hear that your picking up the fly rod. the first fish i went after on the fly were bluegills and i still go after them. blues are fun on the fly.

suggestion: maybe try scuds or midges.

fishmounter
03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Still a little bit too early for 'Gills at the parks. If we have a week of this nice weather, things will really pick up. Hey Bluegill rock on the flyrod! Actually any lightweight rod!

MrScary13
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey chivo I came across this guys blog when I was looking at getting into fly fishing and I think you might enjoy it. He fly fishes all these oc and la parks
http://urbanflyfishing.blogspot.com/

FishermanStu
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
if your clock said 5:50 you left at 6:50 partner

Fishingmonkee
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
might wanna check with the dfg regardinig fly fishing at local parks....the last time i was at mile square park, another fisherman told me, the dfg told him it wasn't okay to fly fish at the park.

chivo
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
if your clock said 5:50 you left at 6:50 partner

an alarm clock in the wall doesn't change by itself.

calico killer kevin
03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice try. One of my favorite local places to flyfish would probably newport
harbor. Like to get towed by a spottie or hali? Newport harbor...:Envious:

smokinflies
03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
might wanna check with the dfg regardinig fly fishing at local parks....the last time i was at mile square park, another fisherman told me, the dfg told him it wasn't okay to fly fish at the park.

wow, fly fishing banned from local fishing hole. that sucks. no problem flying at svg lakes. at least no one has told me anything yet.

i say fly any lake desired until the dfg stands its ground and tells you not to.

i dont remember seeing any regulations on types of rod/reel setups. only on tackle (hooks, baits, etc..) maybe it's p&r thing.

if there is regulations on rods & reels someone will post it.

thanks for the warning mr monkee.

smokinflies
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey chivo I came across this guys blog when I was looking at getting into fly fishing and I think you might enjoy it. He fly fishes all these oc and la parks
http://urbanflyfishing.blogspot.com/

the site is cool. i think the guy just started the blog. strange that san fe dam is not listed on his blog.

hey monkee, the guy on the blog has a youtube video of his catches on flies at mile square park. strange...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSQ31poZr4

Fishingmonkee
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
im not saying that it's an absolute fact but that's what i heard so i figured i'd let you guys know so nobody get ticketed.

smokinflies
03-13-2009, 06:06 AM
im not saying that it's an absolute fact but that's what i heard so i figured i'd let you guys know so nobody get ticketed.

i hear you monkee. thanks for watching our backs.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I think all of us get so into our mode ,when fly fishing ,forget our surroundings ,and forget to make sure no body is around in your back cast. Ive had some people( spectators) who even were watching me at the pudd, walk into my back cast.these ignorent people cause law enforcement make up new guide lines. Now its made me mainly a rollcaster at the pudd,or any place theres lots of people.thats why ,theres no overhead casting on any piers.its not the fisherman . Ive never had a problem at the pudd.ive even had the lifeguards come up, and watch me some time, fly guys are not a common occurance.