PDA

View Full Version : Grunion and Halibut

Mojave River Angler
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Can someone tell me what the deal is on Halibut and Grunion? As I understand it, surfcasting for Halibut during the Grunion may be better than average. What say ye? I'd like to try out surfcasting, but I don't live close enough to the ocean that I can afford to make 6 trips trying to figure out where to get started. I can get to most So. Cal locations in under 3 hours from out here in the desert.

Ideas and Suggestions for a noobcaster welcome.

Yes, I have a pole and reel appropriate for the application.

MRA

fish4keep
03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
The reasoning behind that is because when there's a grunion run, the butts will follow the grunion to shore. But like every other fishing expedition, it's not a guarantee. Also you have to find out where the grunions are running, that in itself is another task. Not all beach have runs. Good luck........

willis949
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I have heard that the day after the run is best because they are still looking for the grunion and they are gone.

murrieta angler
03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
It would be safe to say that Bolsa Chica beach in O.C. most every year has the grunion running there.
As far as the time to fish, actually they run for 1-4 nights, so your guess is as good as anyone elses. Good Luck

Mojave River Angler
03-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Is there a particular bait that Halibut seem to like? What about lures? Is there one that looks like grunion?

Not even sure I can make it down any time this week, but if someone else is going out, I'd make a special effort to join up.

MRA

bsp
03-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Is there a particular bait that Halibut seem to like? What about lures? Is there one that looks like grunion?

Not even sure I can make it down any time this week, but if someone else is going out, I'd make a special effort to join up.

MRA

If you are fishing during a run, grab the grunion and use them for bait when legal. They are the best. If you are fishing after a run, use a jerkbait. The all around best is thhe Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110. All the colors will get bit, but Metallic Sardine and MS American Shad are good.

FISHSTIX
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
If you are fishing during a run, grab the grunion and use them for bait when legal. They are the best. If you are fishing after a run, use a jerkbait. The all around best is thhe Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110. All the colors will get bit, but Metallic Sardine and MS American Shad are good.

^ ,....also the green mack pattern kroc works pretty good.5/8-1oz

Mojave River Angler
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I think I have a few small mac (6-8") from my tirp in Dec. that I threw in the freezer for another day. I wonder if those are too big?

I also have a really old blue minnow lure that I could easily take a perm marker to and make it look like small mac. I wonder if they can smell that crap after it dried though. I could smear some Unibutter on it to cover it. :Secret:

bsp
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I think I have a few small mac (6-8") from my tirp in Dec. that I threw in the freezer for another day. I wonder if those are too big?

I also have a really old blue minnow lure that I could easily take a perm marker to and make it look like small mac. I wonder if they can smell that crap after it dried though. I could smear some Unibutter on it to cover it. :Secret:

It's more likely that macs will get you sharks and rays as opposed to halibut. Halibut really prefer live bait, which is why live grunion works so well. I guess if you tried to drop shot an anchovy strip, moving it constantly to make them look kind of alive, you would have a better chance of catching a halibut.

That minnow lure might work, but if you can only make one trip, buy a Flash Minnow 110. It will maximize your chances of getting a halibut. Even though it is expensive, it has a very good action that really attracts halibut on a slow steady retrieve. Dropshotting Zoom Flukes or other minnow imitating plastics may also work, but the halibut are going to be full after gorging on grunion. The Flash Minnow will trigger a reaction strike, so it will be more effective.

bones
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Since you are so far away from the beach I would hold off until the spring halibut bite gets into full swing. Don't worry about the grunion runs because they are few and far between and are no reason to rely on them improving the bite. Halibut are always on the chew but when it comes to the spring bite.....The big girls will be a little hungrier in the pre spawn. Too much bait in the water can even slow down the bite on artificials too. Keep a watchfull eye on the reports and the water temps. Temps around 60 degrees will bring the bigger models in close to set up a spring pattern and I would be more than happy to show you the ropes and hopefully get you on some nice fish. A dropshot setup will get you the numbers for sure.