PDA

View Full Version : bait cast rod and reel

bstolton
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
ok guys

newbe to fishing about 2 years now and only for trout. I have 3 rod and reel combos, 2 are basic medium action spinning reel combos I bought on sale for under 50 bucks that I mostly use for bait and wait. Then I have 1 nice ultra light rod and reel that I use for jigs and lures that cost about 150 bucks. I want to try a little bass fishing and I see alot of guys on tv using baitcaster setups. 1st question is why? more acurate cast or handles higher lb line or both. next question would be can you get a good combo for around 100 bucks. Bass pro shops has some awsome looking specials right now on a couple of combos and on seperate rods and reels, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks Bill

bsp
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
You have it exactly right for the reasons to use a baitcaster. They are also tend to be more powerful, and generally have stronger drags.

A good combo for that price is going to be hard to find. I would definitely stay far away from any rod that Bass Pro makes though. I had one of their Extreme rods and stopped using it within a month. I would go with a Daiwa Megaforce and a Shimano Voltaues 7' Medium casting rod. It's $110 bucks, so a little over. If you really need it to be $100, you could drop the reel down to Daiwa Strikeforce. The Shimano Clarus is also a nice rod, but it is a little pricier.

Nessie Hunter
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Basic beginner set up..
I assume drop shot, split shot, light carolina rig for light bass..
You are used to spinning reels/rods. Stick with what you know & are comfortable with, so you can concentrate on the technique..
If you do it often, you will learn what you need beyond the basics as you go.
Light line & light weights are much easier to use with Spinning gear.
Trout gear is almost heavy enough for this, but I would go up one notch.

Your trout Reel may be enough to start with???

7' to 7' 6" Spinning rod rated 6# to 12# or 7# to 14#. ONE PIECE ROD.
7 ft will get a decent cast on light rig/weights..
Some quality 6# line.
Drop shot hooks in size #6
Start with some robo worms..
Some 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz drop shot weights.
Some D/S weights, from 1/8 oz to 1/2 oz, some split shot weights.
Learn the Palomar knot, and when you tie it leave a long tag end for the weight..
Nose hook or wacky hook a worm and work it SLOW..
Feeling the Tick tick of a bass, set & fight...
Make sure drag is set light enough not to break line 1/3 of line weight is recommended...
After you get the hang of the subtle bites, rigging, casting & fighting bass you will naturally know what you need from there.

Berkley has just released some new rods, Berkley AMP rods..
They look cool and have some good ratings for $30.. Be a great place to start.
Any spinning Reel in a 1000 size with good smooth drags will get the job done..
The rod is the most important for casting distance, sensitivity & hook setting, the reel just needs smooth drags....

Once your hooked on Bass, you will be selling a kidney (or two) to finance all the gear you THINK you need or want...
Be prepared to go broke.........

Ne reason to refi the house to get started. You will do that soon enough..

bstolton
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
okay so the two ultralite rods I have a browning micro stalker combo 5' 6" and a bass pro microlite 7' rod 1/16 - 1/4 oz, 2-6lb with a pfluger president 6725, which I use for jigs,spinners and thomas bouyants for trout. The two other combos I have are a bass pro wally marshall pro series combo, 6' 6" rod light action 4-10lb, spinning reel 4-8lb that I use for bait and wait, power bait or nightcrawlers. The other is a diawa D shock combo 6' 6" rod medium action 1/4-3/4 oz 6-14lb with D shock 2500 reel 6-8lb. So from what you guys are saying maybe the Diawa combo could get me started on drop shoting worms for bass or should I just go to bass pro shops and find something on sale thats better suited. Also what ever I end up using, what kind of line should I use for bass, on my ultra lite rods I use 4lb flourcarbon and on the bait and wait I use 4 or 6lb mono with 2lb flour leaders.

Thanks for all your input Bill

calico killer kevin
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Stay with the D-Shock, but spool with some good quality 6lb line like Seaguar InvisX Fluoro or Sunline Shooter. Dropshotting worms is really easy, but if you
want stupid, easy fishing, then texas rig a Yamamoto Ika so that the skirt is
sticking up in the water. Cast and retrieve as you can. Stupid, easy...

Socal Bassman
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I have an older Shimano Citica 200 (white color) and a 6'6" ML Falcon Lowrider XG for sale if you are interested.

Nessie Hunter
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
bstolton, Your set to start Bassin...

I have drop shoted with 2# (cuda), but it was to light, 4# (Cuda) worked fine..
I would suggest you start with a good quality 6# and go from there.
A clear or Grn line is best suited for our stained waters, shallow presentations.
Fluoro is better, but expensive to full spool with...

IMHO, the drop shot is best suited for 'quantity' of bass & learning..
If they are there, they will hit it...

bstolton
03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey thanks alot for the input.
I guess its off to bass pro for some line and tackle. hopefuly I can get in some fishing in the next couple of weekends.

Thanks Bill