PDA

View Full Version : Best knots for joining spectra to monofilament

Ifishtoolittle
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Well since rockfish season is open I'm looking into going on a 3/4 day soon. I want to basically know how to join spectra to mono. A strong holding knot that is relatively easy to tie is what I'm looking for. Any info or sites are appreciated. Thanks

- Ifishtoolittle (Bryan)

cappo
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Easy knot to learn is the Uni to Uni knot

http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp

BassButcher
03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
the uni to uni is easy and strong. If you want something that hugs the spool tighter and passes thru the guides smoother I'd go with the Albright. It's easy and strong. Caught a 25lb. Albie on 50lb braid with a 3 ft leader of 20 lb. connected with the albright. good luck

SOSO
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Albright Knot. Traditionally a Mono to Mono, but Spectra to Mono works well also. You can add a light coating of rubber cement to seal the deal. Never failed me yet..Alot easier than Uni to Uni.

http://animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

formosa
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
bob sand knot,it is easy to tie.

bobsandsfishingtackle.com

basscatcher
03-06-2009, 10:11 PM
the toney pena knot. it can be a little difficult at first but as soon as you get it down its probly the best know you can do and its not big so it flows through the guides really good.

God Bless

basscatcher

ghetto dad
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I fish the albright......

That Dang Guy
03-07-2009, 09:38 AM
The albright and the uni are both okay. I think it's important to tie a knot that you have confidence in tying. Meaning, you should tie a knot that you're comfortable in tying correctly.

Ifishtoolittle
03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

RoastedBlueGill
03-07-2009, 12:04 PM
when i join a short piece of mono to spectra, 2-10 feet, i use a surgeons knot. when i join a long piece of leader ie a topshot of 50 yards or more, i use the tony pena. the bimini albright connection can get pretty oversize, and can hang up on your guides as you go up in line test. however it will be okay on lighter line such as 20 or 30 pound test. i have seen busted guides from people fishing 100 pound topshots with the bimini albright splice, where they hung up, and ripped the guide off the rod.

That Dang Guy
03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Loop to Loop topshots are so easy to make now a days. I just started making them for 40-50lb. I wouldn't consider anything else in that line class. I'm starting to consider making them in 20 and 25 for my dad that likes to live bait with short top shots...a bit overkill, but what ever keeps him from loosing fish! LOL. j/k.