PDA

View Full Version : couple of stupid questions

jim532
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I've seen a lot of videos on youtube and expert village on drop shot technique but have 2 questions that never get covered in the videos.

1) why the split grip handle on the rod?

2) most videos they are using spinning reels in stead of baitcasting, is there a reason? any pros/cons to using spinning over baitcastin or vice versa?

thanks,

Jim

DarkShadow
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Cliff Notes Version:

1. The split grip lessens the weight of the rod. Having a light rod is always a good thing when fishing finesse baits. Secondly, they can go for a split grip to balance out the rod better.

2. Normally, I drop shot with 4.5-5# test. Anything under 8, I prefer using a spinning rod. If i were to drop shot with 8# and above, I'd use a bait caster; I just have never seen myself in a situation where I would be using anything heavier than 6# to drop shot. The advantages and disadvantages debate can go on for days. To make it simple, the bait caster gives me better control when casting. The spinning handles light line better.

But, hey, I've seen guys using braided line and a spinning reel while drop shotting, so I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

jim532
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
thanks for the response, the cliffs notes version was more than enough to help me make decisions before I make any kind of purchase.

ScottS
04-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Im new to this also, but when I asked this same question I was told that the reason for the spinning rod is because the eylets on a spinning rod will be more responsive to small delicate bites that are common with finesse fishing. Instead of the line kinda laying on the rod and a few of the eylets - in a baitcasting style rod - the line will be pretty evenly strung out on all the eylets and tight to relay any bumps or hits.

hookup
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
i just watched a show called the bass pros and this guy covered everything on drop shot. the split cork on the rod is to balance it out but you dont have to use one.my opinon on a spinning rod for drop shot is a must have you get way more respone from the guides how they are positioned on the rod.but you can use a baitcaster but i never would. i would never go no higher than 6 pound line either.

Skyler
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
i would never go no higher than 6 pound line either.

I use 8-10 pound flouro when dropshotting senkos and some larger flukes. It all depends on the conditions. If the water is stained, you can get away with thicker line. As for DS's comment about the braid, indeed, I've been using ten pound braid the last several months for dropshoting, with a 4-6 pound top shot about 8 feet long. The sensitivity is unrivaled, and the hookset is almost effortless. Those "ghost taps" and "heavy feelings" that you feel with mono become full-on noticeable strikes, which definitely has it's advantages when finesse fishing.

a biley
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
spinning vs baitcast is just lighter line, you feel the bite the same way, guides don't make a difference IMO.

BTW in a baitcast rod, the line still doesn't lay on the rod. it's still on the guides. Even when a fish is hooked, the guides are supposed to be spaced to where the line won't touch the rod.

lurk 182
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
the biggest issue is where your fishing the rig, how close to cover are you and how much of it is there. in open water, you can get away with four pound. around the junk, i've fished ten and twelve pound, especially when the water's dirty, you lose less fish and still get a lot of bites.