PDA

View Full Version : Phenix rods

BassButcher
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I wanted to get a nice jig rod for football jigs and light pitching for LMB. Went to the Fred Hall Show and picked up the Phenix Ultra MBX 7'7" Heavy. It's super light weight for a rod this long. 4oz on the digi scale. Anyone have any reviews on the rod? I know they use the same blank as G Loomis' GLX or IMX. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

BassButcher

bsp
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I see you decided not to go with the Kistler. Phenixs are great rods, I own several trout and bass models. I have no input on that specific rod, but the X-10 and the dropshot rod are both very strong for bass blanks (use mine for halibut in the surf). I doubt that you will have any problems with power when using it.

fishntime
03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Been looking at thoose rods, but have yet to pull the trigger. How good of a deal did you get?

BassButcher
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah went over to the Kistler booth. They didn't have the rod I was looking for which was the 7'6" MH or H in the LTX or LTA. I did check out their shorter rods and didnt like the grip material on the LTXs. When looking at the Phenix rods. I found that the rods were just as light. The only thing is that there aren't many reviews on it or famous names on their pro staff. Tackle Tour didn't have a review on the specific rod I got. Guess I'll be the guinea pig.

No deal on the rod. But they do give you a nice Phenix jacket.

lurk 182
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
put on that new jacket and get to flippin. let us know how that thing works. what reel are you gonna put on there? twenty pound stick? braid? frogs?

a biley
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
that reminds me...my custom phenix rod is almost done~!

6'6 med action split grip split reel seat and foam instead of cork! Can't wait! I don't know whether to put the core on it or the 50mg.