PDA

View Full Version : Fred Hall Show Opening Day goodies and deals

violenthelm
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
You gotta love this show! I want to go fishing before I even leave the building! I would even hit up the kiddie pool if they let me. Are you kidding me??? Its was a fishermans paradise! There was alot of new products out this year. They had a good selection of boats out. I have a float tube and an ocean kayak so I was checking those out. Always looking for new gear.

There was alot of good deals this year, on everything. Bubba's Hot Rods was there by the Diawa booth right in the middle. They were offerring to pay for your Fred Hall Show entry if you spend 100 or more! Awesome hand wrapped rods! I have two. I finally found that garlic flavored powerbait there at Turners. All of the local lakes were there handing out lake info an discount tickets.

It was a great show! Go out there if you get the chance.

bassin g
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I had a great time at Fred Hall fishing show bought four pks berkeley chigger craws,
three pks of tru tungsten colored 1/8oz bullet weights black,watermelonweed ,two rapala dt
flat 7 crankbaits crawdad,grey silver shiner and 12lb test suffix crankbait line and met several bass pros. now im geared up ready to fish hard this year

boomstikit
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I was extremely disappointed. First, I thought the show was 60-70% saltwater not freshwater. Not a problem if you fish saltwater, I don't. Second, the deals on things that "I" wanted were small to nonexistent (10% off Roboworms?). And finally, a lot of the tackle being sold was old merchandise or last years model. Where is the new stuff? I don't regret going, just bummed that I could not find any killer deals. :Sad:

violenthelm
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I just talked with people. They were "wheeling and dealing", no matter what the price tag said. Bubba's wasn't advertising the free pass thing, he just let me know when I was looking at his bass rods at the show. He offerred me 10 percent off or he said that he would pay for my addmission if I spent over a hundred. I thought everybody was cool this year and was very helpful. I saw a lot of saltwater too. I do mostly fresh myself. I will try to post up a few pics later. I snapped off a few for fun.

troutdog
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I was extremely disappointed. First, I thought the show was 60-70% saltwater not freshwater. Not a problem if you fish saltwater, I don't. Second, the deals on things that "I" wanted were small to nonexistent (10% off Roboworms?). And finally, a lot of the tackle being sold was old merchandise or last years model. Where is the new stuff? I don't regret going, just bummed that I could not find any killer deals. :Sad:

I was told the same thing, but I usually go for the experience and to be with friends anyways.

TD

violenthelm
03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Here's some pics. I would like to thank the wife for going along with me for the second year in a row. You can tell in the picture how much she likes to be around fish. We had a blast. Well...I did at least!!

fishndrinknsmokin
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah it's true about the salt vs fresh but I go to check everything out even tho I mostly fish fresh and always enjoy myself. This year I saw Dana, Yamafish and Ladyfish at the show while I was trolling around too. :Big Smile: I thought Turner's did have some good deals on some things....the powerbait and trout dip were pretty cheap and I picked some up but the reel I wanted was there but not on sale...and I thought it was in the store flyer :Confused: Berkley also had a guy on stage talking about surf fishing basics that I thought was really good. I also managed not to drop a small fortune at The Jerky Hut like usual so in reality I'm actually way ahead this year!

BingJr
03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Show was 70% salt. The deals were non existent on most quality stuff anyway. Only descent freshwater booth in the show was performance tackle. If you love swimbaits, go see the performance tackle booth. I did see lots of friends, new and old. I had a blast talking with everyone and jacking around, but the show was a huge disappointment. I think the best deal I saw at the show was on bedding:Embarrassed:

Also, Bob Sands has great deals on knockoff spoons and irons. That deal was worth it!

smalweld
03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Is there any flyfishing stuff there??

Kokak
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I was just about to ask the same thing...

Any fly fishing stuff?

Ladyfish
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Yamafish and I went to the Fred Hall Show today (Thursday). As we pulled into the parking lot we coincidentally pulled in front of the Fusion Metalworks Monster Truck (how funny is that??) :Smile:
It was about 1:45 pm and there were well over 800 people in line. Yamafish handed out postcards of the Rodhogg to people in line. :Cool:
First thing we do when we arrive is visit Shawn A. of Fish Taco Chronicles. Signed up for a subscription and got a bag of goodies! We checked out our 1/4 page ad and it looks great! (if we do say so ourselves!) :LOL:
Then we were off to the Bob Sands Booth to visit with Dana, Brian and James (the makers of the Rodhoggs). The Team 57 Display and the Rodhogg Display looked amazing! ( I forgot my camera at home or I would have taken a picture to share with you all ) :Sad:
The Rodhogg Rodholder is in Bob Sands Tackle Booth as well as Bubba's Hot Rods. The response has been very positive. They are selling a lot of them.
We were able to chat with Jimmy from Irvine, Marlon Meade, FDS, Sue, Big Red, Matt Thomas/Lip Ripperz, Jarod/Parchers, the SARL and Corona Representatives, Bruce Watson, Sal/Bob Sands, Dan Hernandez, our friend Joe from Johnson Marine, Cory Shiozaki ( very moving display ) sorry if I have left anyone out! We made some new contacts for the Rodhogg as well.
Yamafish's day was made when he obtained a personalized autographed picture of Samantha (whom I am told had a nice rack) For all you guys that are interested she is in the Turners Booth far right back corner. :EyePop:
The show looks to be a success for Dana and the Rodhoggs, as far as the rest of the show goes, it was VERY saltwater oriented. There were not as many vendors this year as in years past either which was disappointing.
There are still deals to be made if you search them out.
Yamafish and I had a blast socializing with new and old friends and just walking around the show.

Ladyfish

Fisherman57
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
The show has been great so far IMO!....

It's been cool seeing so many of my old friends and meeting so many new FNN/TEAM 57 friends at the show!

A BIG thank you to everyone that has taken the time to stop by and introduce themselves, I REALLY appreciate that!

I think there are some great deals to be had at the show for those who do a little leg work and take the time to find them! I bought some of the new Roboworm swimbaits! Great new product!

Be sure to wear your TEAM 57 t-shirt and see Sal for some "exclusive" TEAM 57 specials!

The highlight of MY day today was lunch! Hahahaha!.... Im sitting back in the corner of the convention center and I turn around....... and Greg "The Bull" Noll...... who is without a doubt THEE BIGGEST SURFING LEGEND OF ALL TIME.... is sitting behind me! He agreed to a quick photo and made my day!

You don't have to be a surfing fan to appreciate this guy ..... check out the movie "Riding Giants" on DVD someday and you'll see why Greg Noll will always be known as THE original BIG WAVE surfer!

http://www.sonyclassics.com/ridinggiants/

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/gregnoll57.jpg

boxl0bster
03-06-2009, 02:53 AM
i thought it was a pretty good show. better than last year for sure. but like the rest of you said its mostly saltwater and there arent many deals on any quality items. if you needed some hooks or weights etc... if you guys purchased 5 berkley products at turners you could go to the berkley booth and pick up some trilene flouro or some other goodies.

make sure you guys stop by the spin and win booth in the first room. its free to spin and the cheapest prize is a fishing towel or small shimano tackle box. the top prize is a rod or reel dont know the brand. i got one of those ronnie kovach saltwater starter kits. :Smile: i also picked up a bunch of coupons, stickers and some free leader spools from the maxima booth.

if you guys are into shadow boxes, my old highschool bio teacher has a booth selling a bunch, along with various fishing clothes and flies.

it was great seeing timster and dana at the show, i was running around the place trying to see what free stuff i could get before its all gone. so i didnt have much time to hang out with either of you guys. next 57 event for sure. :Cool::Wink:

Joshua
03-06-2009, 03:01 AM
It is the same stuff every year. Beef jerky and the girls at the Booyaa booth.

Turners will give you the show prices at any other their stores.

If you are looking for salt water gear or an Alaskan charter then you are at the right place.

I usually go and bring home beef jerky and stickers. I did get a good price on Pro Packs of owners hooks one year and some PLINE. For what it costs for parking and admission, you are better off going to your local tackle shop IMO.

yamafish
03-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Went today with LF
Dana's T57 shirts are selling well. Our Rodholders at big hit as well!
We made several new business contacts. I'm sure more will be made before Sun.
Got to chat with alot of friends today.. Truly had a great time. Some deals were availabe. Owner had great prices on lures!

My 5 Reasons to go to this years Fred Hall Show

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/bsands.gif
Gotta see the large dispay! Sal is too cool!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/57shirts.jpg
The Team 57 area has ALL the cool shirts available!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/rodhogg2.jpg
Our Rodhogg Rodholders! They are selling

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/samantha2.jpg
Ok.. I can think of a "Couple" of reasons here.. LOL
I got an autographed pic from Samantha in the Turner's booth. :-P

Best of times
Thanks to all that have supported the Rodhogg Rodholder!

We will c ya at the Fred Hall
Rodger - YamaFish

mstr fish
03-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Went to Fred hall show yesterday for the first time. Had a great time with my son and a few freinds. Was able to finally meet Dana 57 and bought a cool shirt for my son. Nice meeting you again Dana. Was also able to meet the Captain of the boat we are going on in San Felpie in May. My son had a blast fishing the trout pond, gathering stickers, spinning wheels,and winning free merchandise. Every booth we visited the staff was way cool. They really seemed to treat you as an individual and not like you were a dollar sign(IMO thats very hard to come by). They listened to all of my questions with patience and were a wealth of information. At no time at any booth did I feel pressured to buy. However I did spend some dough on things I needed. I really did not look for fresh water stuff so I can not comment on that (Hey I think I just justified why I need to go back on Sunday LOL). I did find things that I needed at dicounted rates. These are things I needed and was gonna get anyways just got them a lil bit cheaper. Plus gas etc etc probally paid the same if I was to go to a local tackle store if we had one that carried the things I need and there is still more I need to get. If I paid the same so be it (I did get some great deals on my new avets). For me here was the differance I got many tackle stores,various vendors, seminars,met new people got to hang out w/friends and hang out with my son all under on roof. PRICELESS. It seemed to me that there was unity among the people and I had a great pleasure to be a part of it...................................fish

I also picked up 3 rods..........

karlow
03-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I see someone left some reel money at the show!
Deals. no fresh water gear! wa, wa, wa!
I cornered the market on rods!
1st stop Big Five. That's right boys, they bring something to the show.
I picked up a matched set of Salmon/Steal head rods. 6-10Lb test 8.5'.
I'm not likely to meet up with any steal head, but we are talking about a great set of striper rods. Next stop Turners....they had a few Kencor trout rods left. There is a nice guy there that would mark them down by $10. At $37 bucks it was not the stellar deal that Big five is offering, but a nice trout rod is hard to find. Most of what you find is way to stiff graphite, unless you are willing to spend real money. I'm not crazy about the Fuji guides (too heavy), but it is a real nice 2-4lb stick, and it's 7ft. One more stick another salmon rod, 6-12 rated 8.5ft trigger stick. That's three new striper poles at $25 a pop. The last one was from Bob Dutchers. I'm sure they will make good surf rods too. If your are thinking of buying a swim bait, go to the show. it is sick with them.

KP

a biley
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
First experience for me there Friday... Lots of saltwater crap I'm not into. Saw one last 50mg right handed but I was hesitant to buy, now I regret it. The new Dobyn rods are looking nice but at $229 and $299, I can't get it right now.

I don't own any upper brand spinning rods, so I was about to pick up a crucial drop shot, but then wanted another casting rod because after playing with the new Chronarch a week ago, I have a feeling I might end up buying it lol. My GF says when will it be enough... I think we all know the answer to that... NEVER

I really want one more 50mg, and now the new Chronarch, that means I need 2 more rods lol (I don't like switching out, it's an excuse to buy more)! Another Cumara might be in the future, maybe 7'2 this time... and perhaps another Phenix or Dobyn

BTW I spent more on tickets than gear, Gamakatsu's were on sale buy 2 get 1 free but prices were marked higher! I only got 2 Damiki Jigs and 1 pack of Damiki worms.

dockboy
03-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Its been mostly saltwater for years now. Freshwater isnt the main draw in SoCal, remember. This year I cant be at LB, but Ill make the drive to Del Mar anyways. This also meant I missed my chance to speak at the MLPA proceedings during this show. With the potential consequences of MLPA, there is no doubt Im going because our local salt guys need our support.
The flyfishing section is rather small. It used to be larger, but most of the vendors left with rising booth prices. The largest and best show for the fly scene goes on in Pasadena during February (I forgot the exact dates), so its passed.

Eat Sleep Fish
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
N i c e . Very nice.

Hawk
03-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I had a great time. One good deal was at Turners. Buy one of the US reels with the nice wide spools (I got the 230 XL) and you get a choice of one of three of their rods (5'5", 6'6" or 7") for free as well as 100 yards of braided Tuf Line. That goes with the free spooling of two reels at you local store. Line and all. That's pretty damn good!

Good to meet Bryan from Lip Ripperz. I have been watching your business grow since 04'. Make a 1/2 oz trolling lure!!!

Also nice to meet Dana finally and the rest of the crew at the Team 57 booth. I promise I will start posting again!

hakaveli
03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I was also there. Nice seeing dana and wingnut.Also ran into Osiito, Victor101, Really_drunk, Troutdog and some others.. I handcuffed myself from buying alot of stuff. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. i did it. Only some plastics sinkers and a loaner rod. lol

Sea Monkey
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Holy Big Waves Dana!!! GREG NOLL! Wow... and I agree... Riding Giants is an AMAZING documentary/film. The footage, music and messages are fantastic even if you have no clue about surfing.