PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Reel Advice

Santa Fe Eric
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello Tackle Peoples

I just got an Ugly Stick Tiger Light Spinning Rod.
6 feet 9 inches
Medium
10-25 lb
1/2 to 3 ounce

I'm looking to pair it with a good quality spinning reel. My most expensive reel to date cost me $59.
I just got some birthday money and want to buy a reel that compliments the rod well for dropshotting for Halibut or throwing LC's from the surf. I might also use it to throw Cranks or Wacky Rigged Senko's for LMB.

Everyone that gave me money told me to buy something that I normally wouldn't buy for fishing (they know I'm cheep) so I am going to step up a class or two with my reel.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm willing to double or triple the cost that I have spent on a reel if I can find one that will give good performance for years to come.

Thanks

Santa Fe Eric
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Also, I've been looking at the Shimano Spheros. Anyone have experience with this reel?

fish_sauce
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
i've had good experiences with the Quantum Catalyst PTi's.

check them out online, most online stores and ebay will have the 2009 model for around $90-$120 depending on where you look, and the older model, which works about the same for 20 or 30 bucks less.

A couple of features i really love about the reel:

The bail arm is made out of titanium--it doesnt get distorted or bent easily after numberous battles with bigger fish, or if you drop your gear accidentally.

solid aluminum frame

instant anti-reverse for fast hook setting

Tru-Balance system---the reel just feels smooth on retrieves without the wobbly feeling you get from lower end reels.

Scratch-resistant coating...God knows how many times i've dropped my PTi's on concrete...the coating they have on the frame is SOLID. The spool, however, is not covered in that coating.

Magnetic Bail-trip system...this is by far superior to the traditional spring bail trip system...if you fish in the surf or in sandy area, sand will inevitably make its way between your moving parts, especially the bail arm...the magnetic bail eliminates a lot of problems that i've had with the spring system.

i was so impressed with this reel that whenever i see one for sale (either used or new) i always want to pick it up. In fact, i purchased one off an FNN member a year back...for what you get, its definitely worth the money.

heres the TackleTour article on it: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantpti.html

good luck on your hunt, and let us know what you end up getting!

i forgot to add that...when it comes to fishing gear, it makes more sense in the long run to make a good investment. I'm not exactly swimming in money myself, but i've found that its better to make one good purchase that'll last you years to come as oppose to having many small purchases that crap out on you within literally weeks or months of use. Just the hassle of having to deal with warranties and potentially losing that big fish is in itself good reasons for a better investment.

SOUTHPAWSTICK
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Shimano Stradic. Unless you want the best, then get a Stella.

calico killer kevin
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I think for your purpose, the rod is a little bit too heavy.

I would recommend a rod that has a rating 6-15lb test. I would get the Team
Daiwa Pro spinning 7' rod rated for 6-14lb test and 1/4-1oz($90 at Bass Pro).
Great price for a rod with a split grip and low weight.

For spinning reel, I would recommend the Saros 2500($125) or Symetre
2500($100).

TrouTHeAd
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Go with the Shimano Stradic!!!

bsp
03-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree with CKC that your rod is not well suited for what you are intending to use it for. If I were you, I would return the rod, and get one rod for finesse techniques (dropshotting and wacky worming) and another for the crankbaits and jerkbaits. I'd pick up a Shimano Voltaeus VTS-70ML2 for the finesse techniques and a St. Croix Mojo Bass MH Cranking for the cranks. Then, pick up a Corvalus 200 for the casting rod and a Shimano Sedona or Sonora 2500 for the finesse set up. Spool the Corvalus up with a low stretch copolymer like P-Line CXX in 12lb and the spinning reel with 8lb flourocarbon (ANYTHING BUT BERKLEY). While this is not spending all your money on one big money item, it will help you accomplish your goal because you will now have good tools for the job.

The problem with the two techniques you describe is that they are so different that trying the one rod solution is going to probably end in frustration.

A good crankbait rod has a medium action and is generally created out of fiberglass. The medium action helps with the fish not tearing out the treble hooks, and it loads up well with the heavier weights. A good dropshot rod has a fast action that hammers the single hook home and you to generate a higher rod tip speed to cast the lighter lures further.

Hope this helps!

Go with St. Croix Mojos if you want to get $90 rods.

calico killer kevin
03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree with CKC that your rod is not well suited for what you are intending to use it for. If I were you, I would return the rod, and get one rod for finesse techniques (dropshotting and wacky worming) and another for the crankbaits and jerkbaits. I'd pick up a Shimano Voltaeus VTS-70ML2 for the finesse techniques and a St. Croix Mojo Bass MH Cranking for the cranks. Then, pick up a Corvalus 200 for the casting rod and a Shimano Sedona or Sonora 2500 for the finesse set up. Spool the Corvalus up with a low stretch copolymer like P-Line CXX in 12lb and the spinning reel with 8lb flourocarbon (ANYTHING BUT BERKLEY). While this is not spending all your money on one big money item, it will help you accomplish your goal because you will now have good tools for the job.

The problem with the two techniques you describe is that they are so different that trying the one rod solution is going to probably end in frustration.

A good crankbait rod has a medium action and is generally created out of fiberglass. The medium action helps with the fish not tearing out the treble hooks, and it loads up well with the heavier weights. A good dropshot rod has a fast action that hammers the single hook home and you to generate a higher rod tip speed to cast the lighter lures further.

Hope this helps!

Go with St. Croix Mojos if you want to get $90 rods.

Would have to agree. I was just assuming that you weren't looking for casting gear, but if that's an option, go with BSP's solution. Totally forgot about the Mojo Bass Rods. Those are great if you can find them at the right rating.

bsp
03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Would have to agree. I was just assuming that you weren't looking for casting gear, but if that's an option, go with BSP's solution. Totally forgot about the Mojo Bass Rods. Those are great if you can find them at the right rating.

Ack, totally forgot that casting rods may not be good. In that case, I recommend returning the Ugly Stick and getting a Kistler Magnesium All Purpose Medium 7' Spinning rod. It's a little pricier than the other options, but it makes up for it in versatility (designed to not excel in one technique to handle a lot).

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-mt-spinning-rods/MgAPM70S.html

Then, spend the left over money on the best spinning reel you can afford. I'd go with a Daiwa Exceler 2500 with this set up because it comes with 2 spools. Fill one up with 10lb copolymer and the other up with 8lb flourocarbon for the most versatility.

I'd like to add a disclaimer that this is not as ideal as the solution I first suggested. However, if you want to only buy one rod and reel then this would be the best choice.

Nessie Hunter
03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Eric, I have seen you fish buddy....:Shocked: :Shocked:
My suggestion, get a large beer can, some Spectra and a spark Plug.. Thats all 'you' need......

Just kidding man.. XOXO :ROFL::ROFL:

So many choices its hard to give a broad answer.... Wish I could help ya Eric..
I know I have a hard time, if I decide to go new..
I have to feel/touch everything. Then I have so much data stored, I fry my brain & have to start over.... (but thats so easy to do!!!).. :ROFL:

Santa Fe Eric
03-07-2009, 01:29 AM
i've had good experiences with the Quantum Catalyst PTi's.

check them out online, most online stores and ebay will have the 2009 model for around $90-$120 depending on where you look, and the older model, which works about the same for 20 or 30 bucks less.

A couple of features i really love about the reel:

The bail arm is made out of titanium--it doesnt get distorted or bent easily after numberous battles with bigger fish, or if you drop your gear accidentally.

solid aluminum frame

instant anti-reverse for fast hook setting

Tru-Balance system---the reel just feels smooth on retrieves without the wobbly feeling you get from lower end reels.

Scratch-resistant coating...God knows how many times i've dropped my PTi's on concrete...the coating they have on the frame is SOLID. The spool, however, is not covered in that coating.

Magnetic Bail-trip system...this is by far superior to the traditional spring bail trip system...if you fish in the surf or in sandy area, sand will inevitably make its way between your moving parts, especially the bail arm...the magnetic bail eliminates a lot of problems that i've had with the spring system.

i was so impressed with this reel that whenever i see one for sale (either used or new) i always want to pick it up. In fact, i purchased one off an FNN member a year back...for what you get, its definitely worth the money.

heres the TackleTour article on it: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantpti.html

good luck on your hunt, and let us know what you end up getting!

i forgot to add that...when it comes to fishing gear, it makes more sense in the long run to make a good investment. I'm not exactly swimming in money myself, but i've found that its better to make one good purchase that'll last you years to come as oppose to having many small purchases that crap out on you within literally weeks or months of use. Just the hassle of having to deal with warranties and potentially losing that big fish is in itself good reasons for a better investment.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! If I don't see something I like at the Fred Hall Show today, I will probably get a Quantum Catalyst or Energy PTI Cabela's has them on sale for like 33% off. I'm not really into baitcasting. I have one Abu Garcia BC with a left hand retrieve and I hardly ever use it. Nessie is right, I don't really need expensive or traditional equipment when I fish. My legal flattie was caught on a Rapala 4foot 8 inch Junior pro rod with the Junior pro 2 bearing spinning reel with 6 pound test on a beetlespin. I got this fish to the boat with no problems. The tackle ho in me just came out, but I now see that I don't belong playing in this playground. This Tackle & Gear section is for the Big Boys!:Razz:

Thanks alot guys and good fishing to you!

bsp
03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! If I don't see something I like at the Fred Hall Show today, I will probably get a Quantum Catalyst or Energy PTI Cabela's has them on sale for like 33% off. I'm not really into baitcasting. I have one Abu Garcia BC with a left hand retrieve and I hardly ever use it. Nessie is right, I don't really need expensive or traditional equipment when I fish. My legal flattie was caught on a Rapala 4foot 8 inch Junior pro rod with the Junior pro 2 bearing spinning reel with 6 pound test on a beetlespin. I got this fish to the boat with no problems. The tackle ho in me just came out, but I now see that I don't belong playing in this playground. This Tackle & Gear section is for the Big Boys!:Razz:

Thanks alot guys and good fishing to you!

No problem, but I do have one last piece of advice: DON'T GET A QUANTAM! There are just too many stories about their spinning reels breaking apart. Stick with Shimano or Daiwa.