PDA

View Full Version : Jigs Butterfly

olefrog
03-03-2009, 07:18 PM
On a serious note a major tackle mfg. company has this butterfly jig on the market .

Ole frog has seen this jig listed at 24 bucks down .

I have to chuckel with this one ole frog been making this type jig for 40 years.

The jig its self is not new the floating trap hooks are a new idea.

When one takes into consideration the trap hooks ,we used trap hooksd on jigs back in the 50s just not free floating,
On Wahoo our jigs we used a trap hook but not on a lead jig.
The reason here is the Wahoos teeth, you got to have a hard jig that will slip thru the mouth so the fish can be hooked.
With a lead jig the fish will spit the jig as the teeth sink into the lead. This fish we think hits the center of the bait or jig,and does not engulf the whole thing.Hard metal skinny jigs. are used here because they slide.
For bottom fish ,tunas ,and stripers lead jigs work fine.
I have even caught Largemouth Bass and Flatheads on them

Here is a picture of lead jigs ole frog has made.
On this type of jig I have caught many species of fish,shallow water rock fish its is a killer.
If I get enough responce I'll show you how to make them.
ole frog

BIGRED KILLA
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
How do you make them sounds cool i really want to get a nother fishing hobby it will eather be rod wrapping or pouring jigs/weights but something. I can responce 1000 times.

bigred

Ifishtoolittle
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
there are some awesome looking jigs in there man.

That Dang Guy
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
How do you make them sounds cool i really want to get a nother fishing hobby it will eather be rod wrapping or pouring jigs/weights but something. I can responce 1000 times.

bigred

Do you watch Hunt for Big fish? Larry Dalhberg just did a show on vertically jigging spoons for tarpon. The basic idea is the same, but he did a hollow through constuction that allow the line to flow through the jig to the treble...but that's a bit off topic.

What he did was made a 'jig insert' with modeling clay and then a negative mold out of RTV plastic. The lead jig he made out of this mold was put into a larger mold and epoxy was poured around it. Neat stuff. He also used some reflective material to add some flash.

fish_sauce
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
i've been experimenting with making similar jigs for the past few months, i haven't gotten the molding process down yet, so any tips or tricks of the trade would be much appreciated olefrog!

after countless attempts at trying to get the lead to shape the way i want it to, i kind of gave up and took the easy way out. Did some research and found a local distributor of a knock-off immitational brand (they weigh, swim, look exactly like their expensive counterparts) for dirt-cheap prices, so i've just sort of "settled" with that for now.

That Dang Guy
03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
i've been experimenting with making similar jigs for the past few months, i haven't gotten the molding process down yet, so any tips or tricks of the trade would be much appreciated olefrog!

after countless attempts at trying to get the lead to shape the way i want it to, i kind of gave up and took the easy way out. Did some research and found a local distributor of a knock-off immitational brand (they weigh, swim, look exactly like their expensive counterparts) for dirt-cheap prices, so i've just sort of "settled" with that for now.

There are alot of reasonably priced jigs (less than 8-9 dollars) out there. There are also some jigs that are less than 5 bucks...we've nicked named them "Shinano" jigs. They're shaped....okay. I don't really like them as much since they are pretty uniform in shape. The ones that have a very heavy "bottom" flutter pretty well though.

olefrog
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Ole frog is not much of a tech writer but here goes.
With a few pictures taken as I go here at the computer
Take what you want to make a jig out of and put it on a piece of cardboard.
Take an exacto knife or a good sharp knife and cut out the shape of the jig in the cardboard.
Half of what you want to make must be above the flat surface of the cardboard.
You want to cut sides the so it will fold up to a box , your copy jig is in the box half exposed. .I use rubber bands to hold the cardboard sides in place of the box.
I coat a ll the inside of this box and jig in the cut out with vaseline ,mix the Bondo enough to fill this box and pour it in.
When it cools remove the rubber bands and you have half of the mold.
It will look like this attachment # 1 with out the holes nor cut out funnel to pour the lead in.

Next step drill four holes in the conners , these holes will make dowl pins for the other half of the mold , you them cam can align the molds.
One will be female the other male.

The mold drilled is also shown in the first attachment.
Do not drill thru the mold you only want to make pins, half way is fine.

Put your jig back in the mold half you just made .
Cut cardboard to stick up around the mold to form a box at the depth you want your next mold half you want to be
Coat the inside with vaseline jig and inside the holes you drilled.

Mix your bondo and pour the other side of the mold will look like this.
Attachment # 3

We are not done yet but close you will note two **** on the mold for the wire
I take the jig put it on a block of wood ,I take finishing nails and put them thru the wire eyes.
When you remove the jug you have a jig for your wire eyes .
I use stainless steel less rust.I bend my wire so it fits in the jig
The wire will look like this after bent.You might have to cut the head off the nails to make it easier to work.
Attachment # yb5
Other attachments are just thrown in .

I just took these pictures so one might get the idea what I have done.
I was going to go step by step and make a real clean sano mold 'This mold has been used quite a few times as you can see..
Some molds are really super some are so so like this one.
This is an 8oz jig for salt water ,the saltwater fish are not as pickey as fresh water ones ,some guys I know don't even paint them .

Oh! the last thing if you know nothing about lead forget this whole process.
I'll say this again read about lead prior to making anything out of it.
Wear eye protection, wear gloves and a mask ,do not breath fumes of molten lead.

You have to cut a funnel into the mold to pour the lead .
Dress the poured jig with a small rasp or file,be careful here.

The reason ole frog started to make jigs I did a lot of shallow water rockfishing.
At times I would take people with me ,most flatlanders do not know the location of the bottom.
They used my jigs and lost a ton of them at 5 bucks a pop it was all economics.
ta ta ole frog

olefrog
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Big Red catching fish on things you make is a real kick in the keester.
I tyed flys and sold the at age 13 .
I make a lot of the stuff I use, at age 79 a lifelong hobbie.
Thanks for the comeback
ta ta ole frog

olefrog
03-05-2009, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=fish_sauce;316563]i've been experimenting with making similar jigs for the past few months, i haven't gotten the molding process down yet, so any tips or tricks of the trade would be much appreciated olefrog!

Hey Fish hope you gan get an idea that helps you ,like I said making your own junk is a blast.A bigger one of your the only guy on the boat catching fish.
ta ta ole frog

olefrog
03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
There are alot of reasonably priced jigs (less than 8-9 dollars) out there. There are also some jigs that are less than 5 bucks...we've nicked named them "Shinano" jigs. They're shaped....okay. I don't really like them as much since they are pretty uniform in shape. The ones that have a very heavy "bottom" flutter pretty well though.

8 or 9 bucks is a ton of money when your on SS Dang Guy.
Most jigs flutter , most jigs are hit on the sink.
I have fished Pics and fish hit it on the sink also.
Pic is a babless jig used by comerical fisherman
I always put somekind of eye on my jigs .I think the fish uses the eye for the target.
Thanks for the comeback
ta ta ole frog