PDA

View Full Version : Sinker Molds...Beg, Borrow, Steal.

Mojave River Angler
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I picked up about 17 lbs of lead I'd like to cast some sinkers with.

Anybody have any thought on wether it is best to purchase molds or share molds among a local group (I'm in the So. Cal desert)?

At the moment I'm interested in casting in the range of 1/4 oz. to 2 oz. sliding egg sinkers.

I'm a bit of a hobbiest so I don't need the usual lecture on lead safety.

MRA

UPDATE:

Ok, I've given your suggestions some thought and at this point I think I'm probably going to pick up a pre made mold that makes a few different sizes in the range that I need. I already have a good source for the ocean sinkers, so it is just the little ones that I'm interested in replacing. I think I can scare up a cast iron pot somewhere and assemble the other things I need for safety...and of course doing all of this outside just makes sense.

If one were really into this, I researched many really good products out there for this purpose, but just not economical under the circumstances. I can see how having a group of guys who fish together a lot put together a set of tools for this purpose...could be fun and economical.

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions.

MRA

Cangler
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Ive made my own molds by just using a bucket of sand

JENSEN500
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Do-it molds.com

janns net craft

Flying
03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Have you thought about making your own molds?

My Dad used to cast a lot of model railroad parts in lead with his own RTV molds.

I know nothing about this stuff but this place may give you some ideas.
http://www.miniaturemolds.com/rtv.htm

That Dang Guy
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Lead pouring gets addicting....especially when you have a good source of lead. I went from pouring from a kitchen pot on a propane burner to having a 20lb bottom pouring pot and a handful of molds.

If you're using scrape lead, to get really clean pours try double smelting your lead and stirring with bamboo skewers. This is especially true if you're using a bottom pouring pot...I'd hate to get impurities into the spout. =/

Cangler. A bucket of sand? Would you like to elaborate? Thanks!

Cangler
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Lead pouring gets addicting....especially when you have a good source of lead. I went from pouring from a kitchen pot on a propane burner to having a 20lb bottom pouring pot and a handful of molds.

If you're using scrape lead, to get really clean pours try double smelting your lead and stirring with bamboo skewers. This is especially true if you're using a bottom pouring pot...I'd hate to get impurities into the spout. =/

Cangler. A bucket of sand? Would you like to elaborate? Thanks!

Certainly ... A 12 Quart bucket filled with damp sand .
Melt the lead in a well ventilated area with a blow torch and an
old pan.
I make 6 , 8 and 10oz sinkers for rockfishing , so poke some in the sand
to set the molds , pour in lead , finish with steel hooks.

As a 10oz sinker costs $4.75 you save a buck or two :)

That Dang Guy
03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Becareful with that damp sand. When water hits molten lead, it spatters. I imagine pouring into damp sand isn't as bad as water hitting the molten lead though. Either way, proceed with caution ;)

MRA have you considered just buying the mold and selling some weights to offset the cost? That's what I'm planning to do with dropshot weights....once I get off my lazy ***.

breeze71
03-04-2009, 05:28 AM
That's crazy mixing hot lead with any type water whether it be damp or liquid. I would definitely not recommend it! The last thing you want is a hot molten drop of lead sizzling with water and popping into your eye.

There are ways to make molds from plaster of Paris. It takes a little time and patience but has good results.

http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/jig-molds.html

http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/sinker-molds.html

HEMAN
03-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Becareful with that damp sand. When water hits molten lead, it spatters. I imagine pouring into damp sand isn't as bad as water hitting the molten lead though. Either way, proceed with caution ;)

MRA have you considered just buying the mold and selling some weights to offset the cost? That's what I'm planning to do with dropshot weights....once I get off my lazy ***.

yeah get on it!!! so i can get some egg sinkers too! :Envious:
well, lemme know if you need any help.

92yj
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
i have a egg mold if any one wants to poor you can come over and poor. bring your lead, wood and some beer. lol. seriously every one is welcome, i can supply the lead for a trade of some sort.

Cangler
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
That's crazy mixing hot lead with any type water whether it be damp or liquid. I would definitely not recommend it! The last thing you want is a hot molten drop of lead sizzling with water and popping into your eye.

There are ways to make molds from plaster of Paris. It takes a little time and patience but has good results.

http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/jig-molds.html

http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/sinker-molds.html

Whichever way you do it , molton lead is highly toxic , make sure
you work in an open area