PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish opener on the Monte Carlo

CRESTLINER16
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry this post is late and not photos (again) not to self: have to remember to bring the camera.
Anyways, rode the Monte with a couple of friends for the 1/2 day am then stayed on for the pm. Morning was flat calm. what great weather. they had live squid and sardines. AM: light load, picked up bait, then headed straight out for about an hour. Captain anchored up and we were fishin. not much current, we were dropping down about 125 ft. I only caught a couple of sculpins and a small starry. not huge numbers caught and most rockfish were pretty small from what I saw. My friend did catch a HUGE sheephead on the live squid. then another nice red. he almost took the jp but the crew said the other guy's red was a hair heavier.

PM: almost double the amount of people. 30 minute ride out. the weather was completely different. white caps and howling cold wind. now I get what they mean the calm before the storm. anyways, moved several times, by the third spot no one was catching much. but a few ling were coming over the rail then returning to the sea.
i was starting to wonder maybe we shouldn't have bother to stay for the PM.
well the third spot was a charm! we were wide open on sheephead. every few minutes one would come over the rail. i finally asked one the of the guys how he was catchin the sheephead. he was the cook catching a bunch of fish. he was kind rude and grumpy.
he just said shrimp. well I knew that much. I had bought some to bring n the boat but was not catching jack. So i brought my shrimp over and asked another guy to see if I was setting it up properly. To my surprise, he peeled the shrimp then hooked it up! DUH!!! I had always they like the shrimp as they see it in the ocean, WHOLE with head shell and all. anyways after that I was catching fish after fish. white fish here, a sheephead there.

In the final hour or so i finished up with 2 sculpins from the morning, 4 whitefish, and 3 sheephead. each SH going about 2 1/2 to 3lbs.

That boat isn't finished yet so no rod holders. but the crew was great with the exception of the cook. maybe just need to get to know him.

anyways, nice to be out on the water and hookin fish.

cheers

Ambassadorhawg
03-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Glad you got out there, too. I like that boat, big and roomy!