PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 3/1

agbluesea
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Got to the lake a little before 7am. Waited in line for a minute or two before the gates opened. There wasn't anyone working the booth, it was self serve for paying fees; I wanted to pass this on so people will bring exact change. Luckily I had enough $1's on me.

Dropped the kayak in and headed over to Miller canyon. Plenty of trout to be caught along that side of the lake. Drop shotting small gulp minnows was the trick but people throwing lures seemed to be doing well also.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/agbluesea/silverwood009.jpg

Eight or nine fish for the day. All fish were released. Just my 2 cents - if you're going to keep trout, keep the freshly stocked ones with chewed up tails and bright colors. Fish like the one in the picture have proved they can survive and their color turning shows they want to spawn - think about letting those go. No bass or striper to be found. Casted and trolled the new BBZ Shad for no luck. The lure's action is great but just couldn't get any thing going...

Where are all the striper? I thought they'd be busting up on the trout?!? Anways.....next time....

Late

Gore

chuck'n deuce's
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
thanks for the report

Skyler
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice fish. The trout have certainly proven that they can thrive in Silverwood. I frequently catch big hook-jawed holdovers in the middle of summer when fishing deep water for striper. As for the striper, I too have noticed very little action this year. I know the water is still pretty cold, but I can usually muster one or two every trip, even in the middle of winter. Not so lately. I guess not as many striper went up the aqueduct to spawn this year. Then again it has been a pretty cold winter. Hopefully the action will pick up once the water hits 60 degrees or so.

Sollime
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice pics and report.
I am with you on C&R.
Just moved to the area from N.CAL and Silverwood is about 1/2hr away.
I will give it a try as my first fishing trip here in S.CAL

Theo

SierraGuy
03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
How do you C&R with gulp minnows?

steve092
03-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Nice C&R, that one has been in the lake for a while.

I haven't had any luck either with the striper. Water is still in the 50's, so hopefully soon it will be warming up.

agbluesea
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I was drop shotting the gulp minnows using I think a size 8 mosquito hook, 8 lb line, and a medium spinning rod. I was always keeping tension in the line and keeping the bait moving, not a constant retreive but almost, so each time I felt a hit I swung. Missed a few but all fish were lip hooked and released to fight another day......