PDA

View Full Version : southern cali. catfishing

team760
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I've been fishing the local canals and resivoirs in imperial valley. I have had good results using dip bait (docs original) with dip worms. I've been pulling in channel cats in the 2 to 4 pound range. I found an area of canal in which the hooks on the dip worms were not big enough...hince lost 4 big cats after hooking them and 10 feet from shore.....Then switched the trebble hook on the worm to a size 3, and had better results...landed 3 more nice cats...4 + pounds. In the past have had good luck using chicken livers too....works great for the cats as well as the strippers.(that average over 3 pounds each.
I will be hitting some more canals this weekend and will report my success and hopefully not a skunking.

Eat Sleep Fish
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
catfishing....nuff said...next...

lol just kidding man. just not my cup of tea, good luck!

Kokak
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Best bait I ever used was 2" x 3" chunks of fresh mackerel on a #2 bait holder hook...

Caught cats as big as 14lbs!

#1 piece of advice... Sharpen your hooks!!!

socalrippin
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
catfishing....nuff said...next...

lol just kidding man. just not my cup of tea, good luck!

what do you mean? you dont like kicking back at night with a couple buds just shootin the shiz waiting for a big ***** cat to take off with your line? maybe throw back a couple beers? nothing better on a boaring ***** night!!!

use whole sardines or anchovies whichever are bigger with a really big hook. youll start catching big cats dd's!!!!

gavin310
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
hey man, that's really cool you've been getting on the cats. congrats. i've been going out to lakes hoping to get the catfish to bite but haven't had any luck. it's not easy getting them to come out in the winter. i'd love to go out to the canals but it's just too far for me. the last 6 or 7 catfish trips i've been on i've gotten skunked, but i'm not giving up any time soon. around which area do you go? i want to do a google maps and see exactly how far it is for me. i live near LAX. maybe i'll just plan a camping trip or something and spend the weekend out there. do you know if you can camp along the canals?

i have some river trips planned for flatheads but i'll be carpooling with buddies. i got a lease that's why i'm so tight on my driving.

gavin310
03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
ya know i didn't realize imperial valley was right by the mexican border. that's like 250 miles from me. i gotta find a closer spot along the canal that'll have some catfish action.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
what do you mean? you dont like kicking back at night with a couple buds just shootin the shiz waiting for a big ***** cat to take off with your line? maybe throw back a couple beers? nothing better on a boaring ***** night!!!

use whole sardines or anchovies whichever are bigger with a really big hook. youll start catching big cats dd's!!!!

NO thanks!! its all about DD bass NINJAING in the pitch black night waiting for that one tick or thump then the fights on not knowing how big the bass is!!! catching kittys is not my cup of tea either i can relax and fish bass all day and all night :Big Grin:

fishindude420
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
NO thanks!! its all about DD bass NINJAING in the pitch black night waiting for that one tick or thump then the fights on not knowing how big the bass is!!! catching kittys is not my cup of tea either i can relax and fish bass all day and all night :Big Grin:

whatchu talkin about. kicking back and catfishing at night is awesome! come out to the secret lake and stick a few 20 + pound kitties and it should change ur mind!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
whatchu talkin about. kicking back and catfishing at night is awesome! come out to the secret lake and stick a few 20 + pound kitties and it should change ur mind!

hahaha so you like 20+ kittys more than a 20+ lmb???? BOOYAAA!!!

fishindude420
03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
hahaha so you like 20+ kittys more than a 20+ lmb???? BOOYAAA!!!

hahahahahahahah. ill let you know when i catch one. Untill then 20 pound kitties here i come! and ur coming too puto.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:37 PM
hahahahahahahah. ill let you know when i catch one. Untill then 20 pound kitties here i come! and ur coming too puto.

yeah yeah yeah!!!! hahaha im fishing tomorrow you going to fish too?

fishindude420
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
yeah yeah yeah!!!! hahaha im fishing tomorrow you going to fish too?

u know it! come pick me up. lol

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
u know it! come pick me up. lol

on my bigwheel ok i'll be there in 2 days

gavin310
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

you guys are crazy. i'm sittin on the handle bars

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
you guys are crazy. i'm sittin on the handle bars

hahaha ok but if you fall off when were hauling butt down a hill and we get speed wobbles im not liable !!! haha

fishindude420
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM

hahahahahahah. ill meet you halfway since im almost out of gas :)

gavin310
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
hahaha ok but if you fall off when were hauling butt down a hill and we get speed wobbles im not liable !!! haha

you got rod holders on that thang right?

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
you got rod holders on that thang right?

no you have to duck tape them to your chest kamakazi style!!:LOL:

team760
03-03-2009, 04:05 AM
ya know i didn't realize imperial valley was right by the mexican border. that's like 250 miles from me. i gotta find a closer spot along the canal that'll have some catfish action.
the canals stretch from indio all the wat to mexico.....just dont fish the alamo or the new river.(the 2 most poluted rivers in the u.s.)

Eat Sleep Fish
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Ive caught cats to 20 pounds...just not my thing. Ive caught carp to 21 pounds...just not my thing.

rather catch a 4 pound trout. or some stripers. or if were gonna get crazy here....some dodos lol

dgfishin
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
You should try Kenneth Hahn on La Cienga. They have catfish there,plus it's not that far! Holla back!How did you do at the NARROWS????????

gavin310
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
You should try Kenneth Hahn on La Cienga. They have catfish there,plus it's not that far! Holla back!How did you do at the NARROWS????????

i've never heard of Kenneth Hahn. is that a city park lake?

Jig-Guy
03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Hay Team760:Smile:, thanks for the fish report down in the Imperial Valley. Love cat fishing and I enjoy the reports when ever we get one here. Be sure and keep up your reports we enjoy reading them. I started fishing and hunting down there in 1952!

Tight Lines

Jig-Guy

team760
03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
hey jig-guy i'll be back at it this weekend going for cats and stripers...should be hitting the canals off of forester road.....the resivoir also........let ya know how it goes

Jig-Guy
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Team760, I will look forward to your report after this weekend:Smile:.

Jig-Guy