PDA

View Full Version : Casitas Pre-spawn report

bassinnut
03-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Took my the boat out for the first time with my uncle after passing inspection. The lake was down about 18ft from full pool and low enough that the Santa ramp had a partial closure and was using a couple of temporary ramps. I launched at the coyote ramp. We started at sunken island for nada and head to the points at dead horse and landed the first fish.

Fishing was slow for the rest of the day. The fish seem to be located on the points getting ready to spawn. Every boat I saw was working a point. The second and last fish came around noon time by the islands close to the dam. The water temp was 61-62.

I think the lake is 2-3 weeks away before the bite gets any better. Boat traffic was low with about 30-40 boats.

The fish were caught on live worms. I was dropshoting robos for no luck. The bites were like a tick.

GARYC
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I was there Sat. (all day) = nothing for me, Saw 3 bass caught (small). Met the gamewarden (again). Saw 5 big carp being caught. I have not been on a boat there.
I will rent one, some time in April.

lurk 182
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
i fished saturday as well. water was 60 plus in some locations by the afternoon. tried to mess with one bedfish but his heart wasn't really in it, maybe by next weekend if the warm weather holds. by the full moon for sure. santa ana ramp is not closed, they're just having to use the temp ramp, which still has room to launch six boats at a time. i'd say its down more like eight to ten feet from last spring. there was probably at least sixty boats on sat.

BingJr
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
at 60+ degree water the fish should definitely be working on a bed or on a seceondary point, not the main lake variety. With that water temp I wold bet some of the fish are done spawning at this point with the majority still to go. Those were a nice quality of fish. We have had such a screwey barometer as well the fish may just be in transition back and forth between main lake and secondary structures.

The bite will definitely get better