PDA

View Full Version : Best braid to flourocarbon knot

jbassc
03-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Whats the best knot for tying flourocarbon leaders to braided line give me your opinion guys thanks.:LOL:

surfnfish
03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Tony Pena, or the Bob Sands Knot. its the same knot just a difference name. Check um out, I've never had it fail, even when fishing tuna with 12lb leaders :LOL:

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Last year i hooked up ,with this older fly guy twho ties his own tapered leaders. He uses a triple surgens knot. I thought it would work to eliminate swivels, when tying a leader direcly to the braid. I havent broke a fish off at the connection yet, even my ocean setups. I now can tie 8 ft. Of leader and that triple surgens knot flows right threw the guides.

Nessie Hunter
03-02-2009, 07:27 AM
I always use the Uni to Uni knot, never had a failure (from the Sierra's to Cabo) and is pretty easy to tie on the fly also....

The Tony Pena is much harder to tie and needs to be done perfect or its toast!!

surfnfish
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Haha, then tie it perfectly eveytime:Big Grin: I've never tried the triple surgeons, but i hjust think trying to cast a double uni through the guides is tough. The way that the Pena tapers helps make for greater castability

DKCbassman
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
The uni to uni is okay for light line. I recommend the Pena knot when using 17lb. or heavier. I have used the uni to uni and had no problems with Albies to 28lb. I have seen some fish lost on the uni, never the Tony Pena knot.

That Dang Guy
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I was watching a blackwater video on making topshots and apparently now some tournament bass fishermen are using loop to loop connections. A bit extreme in our application, but that would be the "best" connection.

SDDave
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
The uni to uni is okay for light line. I recommend the Pena knot when using 17lb. or heavier. I have used the uni to uni and had no problems with Albies to 28lb. I have seen some fish lost on the uni, never the Tony Pena knot.

Uni to uni the eastest to tie when in a hurry, Bob Sands knot is real good too, Next time in the store ask Rich to show you how to tie it.

bsp
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
The J Knot works really well, but the best way with hollow braid is to do the knotless connection they show on Blackwater's website.

Koshaw
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I also use an overhand to uni knot and its very strong and small =_)

jbassc
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey thanks guys for all your help what im trying to do is tie 50 pound spiderwire to 12 pound trilene 100% flourocarbon its about the ssame diameter.

Senor Rambone
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
www.animatedknots.com (http://www.animatedknots.com) check this site out. You can decide which will work best.

DKCbassman
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Same thing. Even heard it called the Penis knot. Thanks SDDave, I have been using the Pena knot for years now.

Skyler
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
For most applications I use the Uni-to-Uni knot, but the triple surgeon's knot is a bit faster in the field, so I find myself using it pretty often. As for overall strength, I don't think you can beat the uni-touni connection. It is one of the few knots that won't allow the braid to bite into the mono. Some people complain about it slipping, but as long as you tighten it properly, it will hold. Just make sure to wet the knot, and after you have formed the knot, pull the braid tag with one hand and the braid mainline with the other, then repeat with the mono tag and mainline. Also, when going from braid to mono, I like to use more wraps with the braid than the mono. I generally use 7 wraps of the braid, and 5 of the mono. Never had one break yet.