PDA

View Full Version : North LA 2-28

bsp
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
No pics because the transfer device stopped working again.

My dad and I drove North on PCH for a good amount of time until we reached a beach we had found on Google Earth. The beach looked great (clean water, smallish waves), but there was a ton of salad in the water. Before we started fishing though, we ran into a really nice guy named Dwayne. Dwayne was going for perch/croaker using a grub, but he was more than willing to help us with our hunt for halibut. He gave us a few tips on the area, and we had a good time talking to him. He also warned us about the rocks in the surf line, and recommended that I keep my surf shoes on. It turned out to be good advice!

As Dwayne headed down the beach, my dad and I started fishing. Every cast with the LC resulted in vegetation. My dad wasn't fairing much better on the D-Shot either, and changed to a 3in Big Hammer since he kept losing rigs to the rocks. Seeing that this wasn't going to change, I walked down the beach towards the sandier area that Dwayne and two other guys were fishing. Dwayne walked past me and mentioned that he had caught a small corbina. When I reached the two other guys, they introduced themselves as Jesse and Ron and I had fun talking with them while fishing with them. They pulled out a few perch, but I got nada on the LC. My dad eventually made his way over and mentioned that something rocked him so he lost his swimbait. After a few more minutes, we all decided that much was happening and the four of us went our own ways.

Finally, we drove South to make they way back home and stopped at another beach. The waves got fairly high here at one point, but then flattened out again. Again, we had no luck, with the exception being that I somehow snagged a sea hare (which then inked all over me). We then ran into fishshep, and had a nice chat with him for a few minutes. After that, we hit up the rest of the beach for nothing. We did see one halibut boil, but he wasn't interested in the LC I tossed in his area.

Basically, it was a great day in the sense that I met a lot of great guys and got to spend time with my dad, but it was lacking in the fish department. I know this area will go off soon, so I'll be hitting it again in a few weeks.

I really regret not being able to post pictures because then you guys (and girls) could see how thrashed my surf shoes got. The sole was attached to the shoe by the back only on one, and I lost the toe and heel portion of the other. I was essentially bare foot by the very end, but I was glad that the shoes took the beating instead of my feet. I also got a really nice picture of a pelican that sat itself down on the beach.

fishshep
03-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Good talking with you and your dad the other day!!!
If you let me know when you go out to the BU again
I will give you directions to some un-real Hali areas
I found the other day!!!With the lures you have you
two should be killin them in that area I found.:Wink:

bsp
03-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Good talking with you and your dad the other day!!!
If you let me know when you go out to the BU again
I will give you directions to some un-real Hali areas
I found the other day!!!With the lures you have you
two should be killin them in that area I found.:Wink:

Thanks fishshep! I'll let you know. Why don't you give it a try 1st though?

Wingnut
03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Even though it was somewhat slow, it sounds like a nice recon outing for you & your dad. Thanks for the PM update. :Wink:
You do meet some nice and knowledgeable people out there in the surf, that's one of the plus of getting out there. :Cool:
I'm putting together my report right now...

fishshep
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks fishshep! I'll let you know. Why don't you give it a try 1st though?

Yep, plan on it this saturday if the storm
does not mess things up!!!

Do not have your top of the line ammo though!!!
but maybe the BH-63 might do the trick :???:

bsp
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
fishshep: The 3in BH-63 is definitely a halibut killer although the browns, reds, and greens also work too. A nice clear or pearl belly with some flake or shine and a contrasting back is the best :Wink:

Wingnut: I got some valuable advice and information, so it was far from a total failure. :Twisted: