PDA

View Full Version : So are Stellas worth the cost?

Koshaw
03-01-2009, 04:59 AM
I was wondering...I just got a nice 2009 Stradic 1000FI and I truly love it.
It is the best reel I ever felt...I was used to 60$ Spirex's...and the Stradic is the most expensive reel to date that I have yet purchased to date.

At up to 16 ball bearings, the Stella sounds super. The Stradic just has six heh. I am just wondering if its a tad overkill heeeeheee. I was thinking about buying a used one... as 150$-250$ sounds a tad better than up to 800$ O_o.

I was also looking at the Sustains...

Anyways, just wanted your folk's input. I know I do not NEED it but hell, I am a tackle whore ;D who is on a budget.....

tpfishnfool
03-01-2009, 07:27 AM
I also have a stradic but I personally would be afraid to use a $500 reel where I fish, aka steams, sierras etc. Hell I you were to drop it on a rock or even lay it down in the dirt I would need anxiety meds ! I'll stick with what works and spend the extra on terminal gear .

Nessie Hunter
03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I also have a stradic but I personally would be afraid to use a $500 reel where I fish, aka steams, sierras etc. Hell I you were to drop it on a rock or even lay it down in the dirt I would need anxiety meds ! I'll stick with what works and spend the extra on terminal gear .

I agree with that....

I guess a lot depends on how you roll.
Stella's are an outstanding Reel, But I seem to always grab my low end, 'throw/drop it in the dirt' (drop it in the bay) Reels when I go fishing. :Embarrassed:

I have some high end Reels, that sit on the shelf and look pretty. They dont see much water at all.. Fear Factor!!!!

tacklejunkie
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
If your gonna buy a high end reel, make sure it's for light line and it will get used a lot if you don't fear scratching it.

Usually higher end reels will handle a beating better being they have sealed parts and are made of nicer materials. I've bought a few cheap spinners for the creek and killed them the second they hit the sandy bottom on day 1. Then again I've also fallen on and broken some nice equipment in the creek. The way I see it, that just gives me reason to get new equipment next season..

Lately I find myself grabbing my little 4lb setup shimano saros 1000 f over my more expensive daiwa fuego A new version 1500 6lb thingamajig that costs 3 times as much. But the saros still has some nice features on it.
I'm thinking I should have bought the 1000A instead and it would have seen more use. I suppose I could go to 4lb on the 1500 but 6 fits just right on it.

SOUTHPAWSTICK
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I have the stradic mgfd and the stella fd. Both are great reels, but the stella is in another class. Once you fish with a stella you won't want to fish with anything else. I think its worth the price, plus ten years from now it will still be as good as the day you bought it. You get what you pay for.

Ricky-Ray
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I've never used one but I know quite a few east coast guys that use the Stella's on YFT and it handles with without any problems.

Koshaw
03-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks gang for the responses and info!

I am now fishing exclusively with Power Pro Braid on all my reels...10lb stuff that is 2lb diameter...with a 3-4' 4lb fluoro leader :D I put the 8lb braid on the Stradic and its only 1lb diameter mono equivalent.

So I will not have to worry TOO much about losing a big one or snagging on stuff anymore...I just got 1500yrds of 10lb power pro...2lb diameter mono equivalent.

Wish me luck :D I am heading out tomorrow for Irvine...

:D

calico killer kevin
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Too bad the Steez doesn't come in that size...:Sad:

That Dang Guy
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
It really depends what kind of fishing you do. If I only fished trout and needed 1-2 rods, i'd get a Stella. If i fished bass on a boat, i'd rather get 2-3 decent setups to fill gaps in my line up.

BIGRED KILLA
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks gang for the responses and info!

I am now fishing exclusively with Power Pro Braid on all my reels...10lb stuff that is 2lb diameter...with a 3-4' 4lb fluoro leader :D I put the 8lb braid on the Stradic and its only 1lb diameter mono equivalent.

So I will not have to worry TOO much about losing a big one or snagging on stuff anymore...I just got 1500yrds of 10lb power pro...2lb diameter mono equivalent.

Wish me luck :D I am heading out tomorrow for Irvine...

:D

What are you going after nessie.

Bigred

lurk 182
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
no, but the sustain is.

bigfootmike1
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I have 2 Stella's 1000FB and I wouldnt use anything else. Once you use one there's nothing that compares to a Stella. I also have a Sustain 1000FD and the Japanese version of it called Twinpower 1000S, and by far the Stella is worth the extra money.