calico killer kevin
02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I was at Newport harbor today from 2:30 till 4:50. Fished hard for a rather
large spottie, a hali, and a yellow fin croaker. The spottie taped out at 15"
and 2.7 lbs. The thing was an absolute beast. The hali measured 22.99999"
and I never bothered to weigh it. The yellow fin croaker measured 14" and
once again I never bothered to weigh it. I farmed one HUGE bite that just
popped me off and another big one that just manhandled me. Out of respect
for the guys that helped me, if you want to know, please PM me.
Established members only. You know who you are.:Wink: I will tell you that I
caught all the fish on the same fongfish big hammer on a 1/4oz head, 2lb
maxima line, Daiwa Spinmatic-X Ultralight, and Shimano Elf 1000.

Thanks for reading,

Calico Killer KEv

Wingnut
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Quality multi-species day, well done. Hopefully, I'll have similar luck tomorrow. :Wink: :Cool:

HESBROS
02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Quality multi-species day, well done. Hopefully, I'll have similar luck tomorrow. :Wink: :Cool:

Nice job out there, I would love a spottie like that! Arthur, prepare for battle! Combat Spottie fishing!!!!!!!!

Wingnut
02-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice job out there, I would love a spottie like that! Arthur, prepare for battle! Combat Spottie fishing!!!!!!!!

Ha ha, okay Eddie, I'll see ya tomorrow... you fish for the Spotties and I'll concentrate on the Flatties. :Wink:

calico killer kevin
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys.

Any place where there was a quick drop and bait. The halis were hiding. I got
broken off by what I think was a for sure legal. All of the fish were no more
15 feet from shore. Would have gone again today, but went on the 1/2AM
on the City of Long Beach instead.

Good Luck Guys.

sidified
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
You are a brave man and a real finesse fisherman, Kevin, hunting halis with 2lb test---
I think of myself as a light tackle guy, but I wonder if I could ever rise to that challenge level. Tight lines, mate---well maybe not all that tight---lol

Santa Fe Eric
03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Nice work Kevin,

You are a true sportsman! I'll tell ya though, you are up for a heartbreak with that 2# test in the bay! Those fish will break you off somethin' somethin'. My catch rate increased dramatically when I scaled down from 10# to 8#. Then got even better with the 6#. I caught my legal on 4# with a good drag! I thought I was going to lose it. I couldn't even imagine 2#. You'll definitely catch more with 2#, but there are beasts out there. One night Kevthecatfishstudent was with me and pulled in a 39 in Halibut from his float tube on 6# test. If he hadn't kicked to shore and let the current help puch the fish in, he would have lost it on 6#.

Good work and keep the reports coming. The Fred Hall show marks the point where I begin transitioning back to the bay. See you there!