PDA

View Full Version : Ponds

fishindude
02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I was just curious to see who on this board has a pond. If you have a pond, what fish you have in there?

Ifishtoolittle
02-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Well I have garden ponds if that qualifies. The ponds are 300gal and 80gal. In them are Koi, feeders, goldfish, rosy red minnows, dojos, and mosquito fish. Hope this is what you were looking for.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_18331.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_18311.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_18301.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_18291.jpg

KaliDawgFan
02-28-2009, 04:46 PM
My great-aunt, who lives in the South, always had two ponds where ever she lived. If she moved and there were no ponds on her property, she'd have two dug out. She raised catfish in the larger pond, and she'd put bream (bluegill) and LMB in the smaller pond. Last summer my uncle visited her. She complained that her bluegill population was dwindling. It either had to be a turtle or two, or it was a big LMB. My uncle took out his bass rod, with 10# test, and started tossing around various lures. Finally a behemoth LMB hit and he fought that thing for what seemed like forever to him. Finally his 10# test broke. Don't think about finding her place and ninjaing it. She'll unload three clips on you before asking questions.

trashetanush
02-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I got a really nice pond with great Koi's, goldfish, and a few fish i cant name and a high fin shark. I will post some pics shortly.

trashetanush
02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/Trashetanush/103_0925.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/Trashetanush/103_0926.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/Trashetanush/103_0927.jpg

troutdog
02-28-2009, 05:20 PM
My great-aunt, who lives in the South, always had two ponds where ever she lived. If she moved and there were no ponds on her property, she'd have two dug out. She raised catfish in the larger pond, and she'd put bream (bluegill) and LMB in the smaller pond. Last summer my uncle visited her. She complained that her bluegill population was dwindling. It either had to be a turtle or two, or it was a big LMB. My uncle took out his bass rod, with 10# test, and started tossing around various lures. Finally a behemoth LMB hit and he fought that thing for what seemed like forever to him. Finally his 10# test broke. Don't think about finding her place and ninjaing it. She'll unload three clips on you before asking questions.

Great Auntie Kalidawg was waiting in her car when I approached her property unannounced with my fishing rod in hand :ROFL:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/Grandma.jpg

Cool looking ponds thanks for sharing trashetanush and IfishTooLittle....what kinda birds you raising? Doves...pigeons?

TD

trashetanush
02-28-2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz9G0QlIWPo
Theres a video i just uploaded to Youtube. Plz enjoy :)

fishindude
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, both of you have nice ponds. I just wanted to see what kind of fish everyone has and I was wondering if anyone ever had bass, bluegill, or catfish in their pond lol. I will post pics of my pond that has some koi and goldfish.

fishindude
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM

LOL. I'd like to see what your aunt's pond looks like. Sigh, wish I could have a pond with only bass, catfish, and bluegill. Too bad my parents put koi, as I get bored sometimes and want to fish lol.

LunkerLover
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
My father-n-law has a pond in his backyard ... 10'x6' and about 4' deep .... three LMB ... a couple bottom feeding "sucker-like" fish and the occasional goldifish from PETCO tossed-in and quickly inhaled by the bass...

fishindude
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
My father-n-law has a pond in his backyard ... 10'x6' and about 4' deep .... three LMB ... a couple bottom feeding "sucker-like" fish and the occasional goldifish from PETCO tossed-in and quickly inhaled by the bass...

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about. Fishing in your own backyard.

basscatcher
02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
if i Had a pool i would be like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTthmLZpIY&feature=related

God Bless

basscatcher

Ifishtoolittle
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow, both of you have nice ponds. I just wanted to see what kind of fish everyone has and I was wondering if anyone ever had bass, bluegill, or catfish in their pond lol. I will post pics of my pond that has some koi and goldfish.

Well I was thinking about putting Bluegills in my pond, but can they co-exsist with koi?

fishindude
02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Well I was thinking about putting Bluegills in my pond, but can they co-exsist with koi?

I believe they can exist with koi, but it's just that I don't do that because I don't know if the bluegill from the lake has a disease or parasites. I could be wrong though.

trashetanush
02-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I believe they can exist with koi, but it's just that I don't do that because I don't know if the bluegill from the lake has a disease or parasites. I could be wrong though.

Lol, you should really look out for those parasites. My aquarium with over 20 Big Gold fish were all killed by it in just 4/5 days because one of my fishes had it when i through it in my aquarium. If it spreads, not many medicine kill those things off, they just kept coming back. I wouldn't recommend anyone to through in fish which they caught from a lake into there aquariums or ponds unless there sure its clean.

Ifishtoolittle
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Lol, you should really look out for those parasites. My aquarium with over 20 Big Gold fish were all killed by it in just 4/5 days because one of my fishes had it when i through it in my aquarium. If it spreads, not many medicine kill those things off, they just kept coming back. I wouldn't recommend anyone to through in fish which they caught from a lake into there aquariums or ponds unless there sure its clean.

:LOL: I hear yah man several bluegills that I've caught especially the larger ones often have parasites. Smaller ones rarely have one though.

tall tales
03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
my pond is 16x12x3. species in my pond are 1lmb, 2gills, 1albino cat, 1tilapia, 1 peacock bass, yes peacock bass a local fish store got some on accident took one home it been 2yrs now. also goldfish and mosquito fish 2 bullfrogs. used to have koi and other fancy goldfish but the egrets kept getting them thats why i have the gold fish now. used to have oscars and pacos but the birds gotem also. had turtles also but thier like dog and dug up my plants relocated to my inlaws 1acre pond up the hill. ponds are fun just dont buy cheap equiptment it does not last, i learned the hard way. if you want plants aquamart is a good online or catalog store. dont get caught taking fish from other waters also a lesson learned yrs ago. got off with a warning but the fine was going to be steep. have fun TT

Ifishtoolittle
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
my pond is 16x12x3. species in my pond are 1lmb, 2gills, 1albino cat, 1tilapia, 1 peacock bass, yes peacock bass a local fish store got some on accident took one home it been 2yrs now. also goldfish and mosquito fish 2 bullfrogs. used to have koi and other fancy goldfish but the egrets kept getting them thats why i have the gold fish now. used to have oscars and pacos but the birds gotem also. had turtles also but thier like dog and dug up my plants relocated to my inlaws 1acre pond up the hill. ponds are fun just dont buy cheap equiptment it does not last, i learned the hard way. if you want plants aquamart is a good online or catalog store. dont get caught taking fish from other waters also a lesson learned yrs ago. got off with a warning but the fine was going to be steep. have fun TT

Is your pond indoor? Or do you have a heater?

tall tales
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
outdoor and no heater it does not get to cold around here. the multiple pumps help keep em cozy. have lost afew exotics do to cold but mostly birds and the elsinore water if i dont treat it well enough. i also have 2 ponds in front 1 cement 250gl and an old cast iron bath tub. the tub gets too hot for fish in the summer except the mosquito fish. for you that dont know, if you want mosquito fish call your local vector control. tell em how big pond is and they give somany all for free! also if they see you have a pond theyll check it for fish if non they take a sample of your water and leave you letter.

fishindude
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry, no pics of the koi, as water is a bit murky from light rain and plants.

Bradakas
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I tossed a few catfish in our pool when it turned green. :LOL:

trashetanush
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry, no pics of the koi, as water is a bit murky from light rain and plants.

Wow man, thats a nice pond you got there.

trashetanush
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, I've decided that some of my Koi's must go so im going to be selling them. When i got some time, i will post a few pics of them just in case someone is intrested or else im just taking them strait to the fish store and selling it to them. The reason im selling some of the fish is because, i wanna make some room for some other fishes such as catfishes and quite a few other species.

fishindude
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow man, thats a nice pond you got there.

Thanks, but I like your pond better though. Those big tall birds come now and then. So annoying.

trashetanush
03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks, but I like your pond better though. Those big tall birds come now and then. So annoying.

Lol, my Caucasian Ovcharka killed 2 of those already. They never show up at my pond anymore. Right now its the Hawks that are bothering me. They dive down and take my fish, but i dont wanna harm them since there one of my favorite animals.