PDA

View Full Version : June 9-12

highsierra
06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone,

Just got back from my 2nd trip to the sierras this year. Anyways, left L.A. about 3pm on June 9th with moderate to heavy traffic on the 405. Geez, what a surprise, traffic on the 405. Who would have thought. Not counting on making out to the sierras to get my lines wet for the day or evening, I just relaxed listening to my newly bought mp3 player and taking in the scenery. Yes I was the passenger and not the driver.

Got to Bishop at about 7pm to fill up the gas tank. Decided to head west on Line St. for 19 miles to Lake Sabrina and arrived there in about 20 minutes. Yeah, I get to wet my lines for the evening :D Since we only had less than a hour of fishing we just went to the boulder areas just to the right of the boat docks. Left Sabrina a few minutes after 8pm. How did I do? It's called fishing and not catching. I'm just happy to be there.

June 10 - Left the hotel in Mammoth at about 0730 for breakfast. Finished breakfast at about 0810. On to my favorite fishing hole in Lake Ellery. Arrived about 30 minutes later. Hiked to our honey hole in about 15 minutes. Battled for 7 rainbows and 2 browns until 3pm. Released all but 1 rainbow. An epic day for me! Charturese PB.

Evening fishing at Lake George. Hiked to the right of the cabins towards the back. Was there for about 2 1/2 hours. Caught and released 2 browns. Charturese PB.

June 11 - Left hotel at about 0830 and decided to go to Rock Creek Lake. Arrived about 30 minutes later. Only my 3rd time here and 2nd time actually fishing here. Very different conditions to weekend opener when I visited. It was 99% frozen over. Witnessed an angler just hammering away those trout. It seemed like he landed one every 5 minutes from the shore :shock: Looked like he was using nightcrawlers. I caught 2 and kept them both on Charturese PB.

Evening fishing at Convict Lake, I found myself finding a new honey hole. After witnessing my friend scoring on nightcrawlers at Convict for the past 8 years, I decided to use nightcrawlers myself. Our regular honey hole was occupied, so we ventured into new territory. New fishing hole + nightcrawlers = limit :D

An epic trip ends with moderate jolts to remind everyone that Mammoth Lakes is a semic active area. On June 12 at 0022 an earthquake 3.6 struck 9 miles southeast of Mammoth Lakes. It was followed by an even stronger quake in the same location with a 4.6 magnitude about a minute later. Left Mammoth Lakes on June 12th upon checkout.

Sorry, no pictures, my battery was dead upon turning on my camera. I forgot to check my battery for camera and forgot to bring along my net.

bruce watson
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Too bad about the camera. It sounds like you had a good trip anyway.

diamondbear
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Bruce , maybe that was you falling out of bed ,lol i love hitting all the spots on a trip like yours , man to bad about the pics , i would of like to see them , sounds like a good trip // db

one_leg
06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I guess a trip like that is just meant to be for you, and you alone.

Thanks for the report and I'm glad you hooked up.

One_Leg

greg
06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Nice report! :) Good job with the fish!!! I wonder what the quakes will do to the Real Estate prices. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Did you dress your crawler with any scents? The garlic butter spread has work well for me in the past at Convict (and only at Convict).

highsierra
06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all your comments. We always hit Ellery and Convict every year, my favorite places. I will add Rock Creek Lake as another favorite. We also try to hit a new lake every year. This year was June Lake during opening weekend, when I went with my co-worker. Both of my friends didn't fare as well as I did. Between the two they caught about 10 for the entire trip and kept 3. Then again they only used lures. I used power bait the entire trip except for the crawlers at Convict. Greg, I did not add any scent to the crawlers. I just put the crawlers on the hook in the shape of a ball and cast it out about 20 feet. That's where the school was located. I had one line about 50 feet out and the other line 20 feet out. Only the line 20 feet out was landing the trout.