PDA

View Full Version : broad beach 2/27 tough but no skunk

CRESTLINER16
02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Had the day off so i thought I'd give it a shot and try out Broad beach.
got to the beach and realized I'd forgotten all my grubs and gulp sandworms at home, DUHHH! so i decided to just dedicate the day to try to use lures. threw the newly purchased luckycraft on one rod and tied on a zoom fluke on the other. fished for hours without much lucky. the tide was moving out so it should have been something.

fished north all the way to the point where the huge rocks rocks are and getting nothing. Took a cast with the luckycraft and SNAP! the line pops and the lure sails out to the sea gods. retied with a berkly frenzy and cast again and POP AGAIN! took a closer looks and realized I had a slight backlash in the spool. I also noticed i had dropped my bottle of hotsauce scent somewhere along the way.

Getting kinda frustrated and decided to try another tactic. I ripped the last 2 inch section off my fluke and put that on a small carolina rigged. tossed it in the surf and felt some taps right away. then finally a hookup on a dink perch.

At least not skunked! fished for more taps then lost it and broke off in the rock
broke open some mussels from the rocks and started using that. got some bites but could not stick em. finally tossed it closer to the rocks and felt a strike. felt tight but no runs or anything. thought it might be kelp but it would buck once a while. finally dragged it in and it was a green rockfish. about a pound and a half. He made my day after so much frustration so I let him swim back to his rocky home.

Over all a slow day but might have had a few more if I had my grubs.
Called it a day just before sunset. Saw a couple of fly-flinger out there.

Seng90806
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
as long as there is no skunk...you good for the day :LOL:

Wingnut
02-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Broad Beach is where I made my first cast ever into the surf. :Cool:
Lots of good memories there... best to fish there during an incoming high tide. :Wink: Sorry about the lost lures, been there... done that. :LOL:
Thanks for the report.

CRESTLINER16
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I tried again the following day with the same results. Guess I'll have to pay attention to the incoming tides more. But it's always nice to be fishing on the beach. Can't complain.