PDA

View Full Version : Bakersfield Float Tube/Kick Boat/Kayak Bass Club

BakoBassin
02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Is this something any of you would be interested in? I was thinking next season so we had time to plan, people need to acquire fishing vessel of their choice, etc...

A buddy and I were at a mutual friends house the other night and he was given the scale that we would need. This is probably the biggest expense when getting started.

Also, if we started next season, that would give us time to create more interest beyond this board. It would also help if we able to get money together for permits. I'd also like to get a feel for what/where people would like to or be willing to travel to.

So what do you guys think?

BassnRack
02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey Bako!

All I've got to say is, you better check into permits that you have to draw before you start up a club. I know in our club it is a royal pain in the left cheek. Our president, and the one before him claim it is a HUGE task. They said they would be on the phone for hours trying to get stuff taken care of.

Hopefully since you guys won't have gas motors, things will be completely different. Good luck, it sounds like fun. I might even pull out the ole toon and fish with you guys every now and then!

BakoBassin
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
We had one here from 03-05...North Kern Float Tubers. The first season was the best. It kind of fell apart slowly after that. I pretty much dropped out during the second season due to being a bit "too intense".

I helped quite a bit with obtaining permits and such for the second season. I was also director of one or two in the first season.

It's probably more complicated for the boat tournies due to their size and such. We pretty much just mailed in the apps and money and got the permits. The start-up money is the biggest deal. Back then it was 40-50 bucks for permits to do all tournies at all the coastal lakes, altogether. That covered all lakes there, as many as you wanted to have. If we want to keep it close and easier for everyone, it costs that much for each tourney at our three "local" lakes.

I Rocha
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
However I do not own any fishing vessel.

How much would a good one run me? How hard would it be to learn?

I think its a good idea Bako and I would support it.

BakoBassin
03-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I actually have a Caddis Navigator 4 AND an old round style Caddis tube that just needs a new tube, which would run around $20 or less. I'd be willing to loan these out if people wanna try it out. You'll probably want to get some waders though. I have extra fins.

I believe a new tube will cost anywhere from under $100, up to $250. Although, if ya got the money, I would suggest kickboats.

As far as learning...I've told people here and in person that when I started in the club we had before, I was really new...even though I had fished for bass when I was younger. I had the cheapest rod & reel combos, etc...Just from being determined and things I learned from folks, I took angler of the year first season. That was out of about 12-13 regular members.

joe man
03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Bako it sounds good. I also have an extra tube which I could loan out on the occasions that my daughter does not tag along but it is no top of the line set up. I have never been in any fishing clubs before so I have no idea what the damage would be but I am interested if it fits my budget.

Signed: tight wad

Skaguy04
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Good job David... Finally using the noggin!

jase33
03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm in......Ill sponsor some smogs for the tourny winners too.
Fnn member discounts always apply too.

I still have the round style caddis......hope it still fits.

Jason Mcley
East Hills Smog
1705 Columbus Ave
661-872-8565

Skaguy04
03-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Jason Mcley
East Hills Smog
1705 Columbus Ave
661-872-8565

I might have to get in touch with you soon...

black beauty failed her smog test.

jase33
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
no prob.....

sundays would be good for tourny day
in case we pick a lake a good distance away,some could camp the night before.
also in case some work on saturdays.$$$$

BakoBassin
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Jason Mcley
East Hills Smog
1705 Columbus Ave
661-872-8565
Wow Jason, thanks.

To tell ya the truth, your vessel means nothing in these things. Some of the guys that consistently came in with solid results were in round tubes.

We could work out the days we would have tournies as time goes on. There are lots of clubs that have many of theirs on Sundays...which is why the club succeeds. They try to make it easier on folks and focus on the greater good.

Hey, BTW, it's Randy French that is my partner in this.

BakoBassin
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone...Something has happened to our family that is real bad. We're not going to let it beat us, but there will be a strain on everything I've been trying to build here with you all.

So please know that if I'm not as involved for a while, there is a reason. I feel bad since I was getting everyone all fired up, but I need to take care of my family.

tracker13
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Prayers are with you and your family Bro.....

jase33
03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
hope everything turns out ok for you Bako.
dont worry about the fishing...we'll figure it out when you get back.

FISH ON
03-07-2009, 08:12 PM
hope things go back to normal for you soon.

jase33
03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
any news on this?

to get around the permit thing we could just call them turkey shoots...
like the bass boat guys do.everyone commit to the same lake for the day
and put 10 bucks in the pot.

BassnRack
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
That might be a little hard to weigh in. You would have to paddle to a "secret cove", get out of your tubes, and weigh the fish(some way), maybe a cull em rite. It could be done. You just wouldn't want to get caught. We were fishing a tourney at the Lopes 2 years ago and there was an outlaw tourney going on. Needless to say, we had DFG come up to us twice to see which club we were with and who our president was. They were HUNTIN' the outlaws down!!!

joe man
03-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone...Something has happened to our family that is real bad. We're not going to let it beat us, but there will be a strain on everything I've been trying to build here with you all.

So please know that if I'm not as involved for a while, there is a reason. I feel bad since I was getting everyone all fired up, but I need to take care of my family.

Bako do what you gotta do. We will be here when you get back. If there is anything you need just drop a line I am just right down the road. I work in your neck of the woods and I do have enough free time to help a brother out.