PDA

View Full Version : places to fish along 395

Rick James
02-28-2009, 12:01 AM
i have to go to reno this coming week for work but i'm definately bringin the fly rod. i'm going to fish monday at pvr and then head north after. Is there anywhere else to fish between mammoth and reno this time of year? also i'm going to sacramento after that...anywhere to fish along there? everything cnr since i have no where to put or store the fish. just something to break the drive up in sections. thanks

Granny Fish
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
My daughter lives in Reno. Her boyfriend fishes the Truckee river right in town and does pretty good. I think he uses a black panther martin for the most success, but I believe he said he's had some luck with the fly.

There is also a pond near Tahoe (I'll have to ask the name) where they catch tiger trout.

For bait fishing try Sparks Marina. You can locate it easily with a google search.

Check your regs as trout fishing may be closed still in some of the areas you are traveling through.

sb fishing
03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
The East Walker River, I have fished the last couple of days.. EPIC!! 30+ fish days ... most fish are in the 16-18" range. I was able, w/ the help of a friend land a 8-9 pound bow. Again EPIC fishing!!

plumbertom
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Can't help you in the eastern Sierra, I'm just starting to visit that area my self.
as far as the central valley goes what route are you planning to take and from where?
There are plenty of places to fish in the San Joaquin Valley and The Sacto delta has a thousand miles of waterways to fish on.
Don't forget your Delta Stamp once you get north of Mendota Dam.

Rick James
03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks for the responses. I fished the river section of pvr and killed it. they ate everything you threw at them midges, wooly buggers, and streamers. Nothing of size as they were all planter sizes but feisty little fighters.

i'll be making my way down to sacramento thursday and was going to try to fish the truckee but so far it looks like its snowing. we'll have to see when the time comes. i'm not sure where else to fish between here and sac.

Eat Sleep Fish
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
the east walker river, i have fished the last couple of days.. Epic!! 30+ fish days ... Most fish are in the 16-18" range. I was able, w/ the help of a friend land a 8-9 pound bow. Again epic fishing!!

true. Very true.