PDA

View Full Version : Shimano replacement policy

HBJapo
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Guys,

I just thought of something.....will Shimano replace ANY defective reel, no matter how old? Hypothetically speaking (not that I would try this) What if I went to E-Bay and bought another old Bantam 10X SG (circa 1985) and took it in, would I get an updated model Bantam?

Japo :Envious:

Ricky-Ray
02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
The quick answer is No. I had a Bantam forgot what modem it was and sent it in for service and it came back a week later saying that parts were no longer available for it and suggested other replacement models.

I checked the Shimano website and there's a list of reels that they dont' service anymore. http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Repair_Services.html

HBJapo
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ricky-Ray,

I didn't think that it was do-able. If it were, I was wondering how much money they would be losing.......:Shocked:

Japo :Envious:

WARRIORMIKE
02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Also just to give you the heads up, Shimano isn't what it used to be. Before if a reel was broken or didn't function right they would swap it out or take care of it right away. Now they will first try to see if they can fix it first, then bill you for it. This may be due to the economy right now. I would talk to Herbertor Doug over at Shimano and ask them whats up!

a biley
02-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Also just to give you the heads up, Shimano isn't what it used to be. Before if a reel was broken or didn't function right they would swap it out or take care of it right away. Now they will first try to see if they can fix it first, then bill you for it. This may be due to the economy right now. I would talk to Herbertor Doug over at Shimano and ask them whats up!

they don't bill, only shipping charges...

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-28-2009, 08:04 AM
I just had kenny send my sedona 1500 in . I dropped it in the sand ,and it was no way repairable ,after i took it apart. Kenny called me to pick it up a week later. It was not my reel but a new one and they sent me an extra spool. The charge was 29.00. Thats good service in my book

crappiemike
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
shimano is the best around period...

cm

SDDave
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM

You used to take tools back to sears and they'd replace them, now you get a 18 year old kid trying to fix them

lurk 182
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
shimano does not charge for "repairs" when the thing "broke" but they do charge for reel service (regular wear and tear). they're service is great, quick, and they stand behind it. some people think "lifetime warranty" means they get a new rod when they step on it trying to net a fish or slam it in the car door. its a warranty against defects not an indestructable product.