PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good place to buy camping gear?

Hitts0n
02-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Is Ebay the only place? Ive seen camping world.
Target? Big 5 ?
I'm looking to buy a bug free tent....lol
Camping bag,or 2.
Maybe a tent light.What else would be useful? Im new to caming.Im use to just sleeping in my car.
Maybe even a portable heater.Thanks !

ghetto dad
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Is Ebay the only place? Ive seen camping world.
Target? Big 5 ?
I'm looking to buy a bug free tent....lol
Camping bag,or 2.
Maybe a tent light.What else would be useful? Im new to caming.Im use to just sleeping in my car.
Maybe even a portable heater.Thanks !

yo homie...I got most of my camping gear from Walmart....Make sure you LOOK at the tent pics/lil display models....some of those tents are like ALL screen, which sucks, makes it VERY cold at night (my sisters tent was like this).....

tents
tarp for UNDER your tent
sleeping bags
extra blankets
pillows
lanterns
flashlights
bug spray
propane grill
propane camping stove
pots/pans
paper plates/cups
plastic untensils
first aid kit
folding table
chairs (bag chairs)
canopy
ice chests (one for for, one for drinks)

i have alot of crap, if i think of anything else, ill let you know

ghetto dad
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
i wouldnt rec one of those portable heaters...dangerous, IMO

smitty99
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
REI is good but expensive. They sell the high-end gear like you see Bear Grylls wearing on Man Vs. Wild.

Another place to check is google for any 'Military Surplus' stores in your area. They have a lot of cheaper stuff but also will carry new items too.

I'd also try to hit Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas if you have one in your area.

joe man
02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I buy most of my tents, bags, and canopies at either Cosco or Sams. I have found very good deals in those places. Target has a good varity of tents but the prices are higher than Cosco.

ghetto dad
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
REI is good but expensive. They sell the high-end gear like you see Bear Grylls wearing on Man Vs. Wild.

Another place to check is google for any 'Military Surplus' stores in your area. They have a lot of cheaper stuff but also will carry new items too.

I'd also try to hit Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas if you have one in your area.

I buy most of my tents, bags, and canopies at either Cosco or Sams. I have found very good deals in those places. Target has a good varity of tents but the prices are higher than Cosco.

both good advice also....just make sure you have the essentials FIRST hitts...then you can get pimpin with your camping gear

GD

Hitts0n
02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
The sound of walmart is great!
I got to have a place to "smoke drink & cuss !" lma00!!

Granny Fish
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Target and Walmart are probably the cheapest for camping supplies. Costco may be cheaper for the tent but they will have few options. Shop around. Some of the more expensive stores have some things that the less expensive stores don't.

Keep in mind that if you buy one of the less expensive tents, the poles and stakes used in those sets don't always hold up the best. I've replaced the stakes once and now need to replace a pole. For the two or three times a year I pitch a tent, my cheapy works fine. :Wink:

Make sure you get a nice roll up thermal pad for under your sleeping bag. It will make a big difference in your comfort. An air matteress works good if you get the vellor covered one, but you will still want the thermal pad. When it is cold that bitter cold air will seep up through the matteress and you will feel like you are sleeping on an ice block.

Cabellas has some good sales sometimes. I have found some good deals. I have the Big Buddy heater that I bought from them and it works great in the tent, but I don't leave it on while I'm sleeping. Once the tent is warmed up it usually stays pretty warm.

Especially watch for sales on the higher dollar items you are looking to buy around summer time. That is when the stores are clearing out for winter inventory.

MAVERICK27
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
haha she said "pitch a tent" Sorry Granny, I couldn't resist!!

ghetto dad
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, thanks tammy....lol....i forgot about that...
forget the thermal for under your sleeping bag, get an air mattress!! Also, get a good rechargable pump......thats what i have, a queen mattress....

GD

FISHNFOOL9
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Walmart
Target
Kmart
Big 5
REI
Bass Pro
Sportmart
Sport Chalet
Cabelas
Campmor.com
BackcountryOutlet.com
Craigslist
Fleabay--- EBAY

If you cant find something from this list try,,,,,,,

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS :ROFL:

troutdog
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Finally taking the plunge huh? WTG Hitts!

Definitely agree with GD, get your essentials before dropping $ on all the luxuries.

I got my tent at Walmart and have not had a problem in the 2 years I have had it, I spent less than $75 on mine and it serves its purpose well....you just gotta decide on what style you want to get.

As far as a sleeping bag goes I purchased one made by Slumberjack, BassPro has one similar to mine from $60-$75....I have had that for over 10 years and the zippers(which are always the problems with bags and tents) have never had a problem. I have a "mummy bag" see link below, although being the player you are you may want to get a different style should you want to share it with any late night visitors :LOL:
http://www.slumberjack.com/retailers.asp?product_id=24A8HZEAFBEVVD2MG54YNCR49 N&category_id=7JYUVFHPKJC5DM9PQJY62I97TA

A nice air mattress is great too, but I would buy a good one rather than waste your money on a cheapie that will have a whole in it after a few trips, just remember you are going to need a portable pump or similar device because I know those Black N Milds will get in the way of inflating it yourself! :LOL: Personally I just put down a layer of foam padding(that egg carton stuff) and I am very comfortable....definitely a personal choice, but get something as sleeping on uneven rocky ground sux!

Lanterns are cheap and very useful, my coleman runs on batteries and lasts a long time. Walmart, Target and BPS all carry them.

Portable heater at this point prolly won't be needed much as Spring is almost here in So Cal and the traditional log fire will do the trick. When the time comes they sell a propane heater that puts off some serious heat if you wanna go that route, the one Bullets had was pretty cool too just more of an individual unit rather than a "hey everyone gather around" type.

I've been wanting to go to BassProShop, if you want to roll with me so you can compare items vs WallyWorld let me know homie!

If you need a 12 foot fishing rod talk to my boy Koshaw...if you want something in Pink I'll give you Omar's number! :LOL:

The sound of walmart is great!
I got to have a place to "smoke drink & cuss !" lma00!!

...and TeamSDC was born :ROFL:

TD

Granny Fish
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
haha she said "pitch a tent" Sorry Granny, I couldn't resist!!

That's alright Mav, you can laugh at my expense. I often laugh at my own expense. What's so funny? :Neutral:

yamafish
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
REI :Big Grin:

mth1997
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I highly recommend going to any of the places that the good folks have listed so far, find what you like (get to know it, touch it, set a tent up in the store, etc), then try to find the exact item new on ebay. I have saved tons of money on the essentials and luxury items by buying them on ebay. As long as you do your research and know exactly what you're getting, ebay hasn't let me down yet.

bruce watson
03-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I like a tall canvas tent if I'll be at the same spot for more than a couple of day. My canvas wedge tent cost about $140 some 35 years ago. It's still in great shape. I even lived in it for a while and it outlived a few blizzards. A good wall tent of heavy canvas will last you a lifetime.
For overnight camping, I'll put up my little cheapie or stay in my truck shell.
As for a mattress, check garage sales for futons. They sell for a couple of bucks and beat any pad or air mattress.

SoCalGuy7
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Just a quick note if someone hasn't already mentioned it.....

When it says sleeps four, that means four people like sardines and nothing else in the tent.. If it's for two and you got some gear you want to store in the tent or you like to roll over once in a while...You need a bigger tent that just sleeps two.

For two people get at least a 4 or 6 person tent...For the little more room the tent box takes up it's worth it to have a couple of extra feet to sleep in and put your suitcases or Duffle bags. And it's nice to have a bigger tent to put in an inflatable air mattress.

:My Two Cents:

SamFisher
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Don't forget to check Craigslist. You can find great deals...even better than
Wal-Mart.

SamFisher

Hitts0n
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Good stuff.I will keep this info and do some homework,thanks all.