PDA

View Full Version : what other fish tastes like corvina/croaker?

kwest10
02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
My fondest fish memories are of big orangemouth corvina from the salton sea. White, flakey, moist and flavorful. When I go to Korean restaurants some give a small fried corvina. Other than sushi, it's the only fish I like to eat. What other that exist out here locally taste like that? Grumpy's?

sansou
02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm speculating that Spotfin Corvina would taste like an Orangemouth...just guessing though cause I've never eaten either. I would imagine they taste & are textured similar to WSB....just guessing!

While I don't advocate people taking spotfin, they were rather prolific (as compared to say 3 years ago) this past summer in the bay here in SD.

jonshibata
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
They are croaker, not corvina. Corvina are a different fish. They have orange mouths. Looks a lot like a juvenile white seabass. Actually they are very similar in taste and texture, so keep an eye open for the seabass to start biting at Catalina or the Channel Islands. Good stuff!

sansou
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
They are croaker, not corvina. Corvina are a different fish. They have orange mouths. Looks a lot like a juvenile white seabass. Actually they are very similar in taste and texture, so keep an eye open for the seabass to start biting at Catalina or the Channel Islands. Good stuff!

You are right, my mistake. I meant to say "Shortfin" Corvina. A couple of my shortfin corvina reports & pics are in the T57 section for reference....

jonshibata
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
There you go brotha! I've never seen one of those. Used to catch tons of huge orangemouth corvina in the Salton Sea before the pollution finally wiped it out. Only fish that can survive anything short of a nuclear explosion like tilapia are alive in it now, and that's part of the reason I refuse to eat them. They eat all kinds of crap, and they can survive going from the really salty water of the Salton Sea to fresh water like an aquarium without any ill effects! Crazy!

kwest10
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm speculating that Spotfin Corvina would taste like an Orangemouth...just guessing though cause I've never eaten either. I would imagine they taste & are textured similar to WSB....just guessing!

While I don't advocate people taking spotfin, they were rather prolific (as compared to say 3 years ago) this past summer in the bay here in SD.

I had WSB once. Friends mom cooked it and WSB is what she called it so I don't know for sure. The other WSB I've had at local restaurants were dry and bland. Had some "sea bass" at a japanese restaurant last week and it was GREAT. White, moist, flaky meat. This miso char/glaze was **** too.