PDA

View Full Version : Vail yesterday

ART HILL
02-26-2009, 06:56 PM
I met up with my guest, Don and Dee Dee yesterday morning at 7:30, and we were on the water with the lines out at 8:00. Dee Dee was the first to hook up. She had been fishing all of 2 minutes when she hooks up with a nice 2.5 pound chunk on the dropshot to start the day.

The fish were stacked up thick in 20 feet of water, just where I left them the previous day. Dee Dee hooks up another, then another, and still another. Don, who was fishing a Carolina Rig, finally says, give me one of those worms she's using. I handed him an 8 inch version, and he scores on his first cast.

We continued with this pattern until 11:00, when the wind kicked up very hard. For us the bite died with the wind. That is usually not the case, but yesterday was a different story. This was a very cold wind, and the water temperature dropped 1.5 degrees from the previous day. The fish were there, they just did not want to eat.

Don and Dee Dee finally had enough of the wind, and decided to call it a day. They had a long drive home as well. They ended their day with around 14 fish. I felt bad the numbers were not better, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Both Don and Dee Dee are experienced team tournament fisherman from their days back in Georgia, so they understand the difference betweem fishing, and catching. They will be back in April for the spawn, and some real fun.

For those of you who are interested, the worm I have been using is now at Blue Water Tackle in Temecula. Go in and see Kevin and Dave, and ask for the worm that Art uses at Vail. You won't be sorry, as this worm just kills it.

Thanks,

Art

www.vaillakeguideservice.com (http://www.vaillakeguideservice.com)

goseango
02-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Art- How was dinner??? :Cart:

That worm should kill it at DVL as well.

GdHkSet1
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Another good day Art, thanks for the report and the info on the plastics. Have some retired Navy friends that want to take RV's there, is that place still membership only?

ART HILL
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Another good day Art, thanks for the report and the info on the plastics. Have some retired Navy friends that want to take RV's there, is that place still membership only?

Yes Vail lake is a membership only lake. There is a campground that is open to the public, 3 miles from the lake entrance. It is a little pricey though. But it fills on weekends, so the people don't mind paying. It is a very nice campground. Lots of things for kids to do.

Members are allowed to camp at the lake, on a first come, first served basis. The spots are limited, but they are near the water. You can't beat the view either.

Fishing_Wife
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I met up with my guest, Don and Dee Dee yesterday morning at 7:30, and we were on the water with the lines out at 8:00. Dee Dee was the first to hook up. She had been fishing all of 2 minutes when she hooks up with a nice 2.5 pound chunk on the dropshot to start the day.

The fish were stacked up thick in 20 feet of water, just where I left them the previous day. Dee Dee hooks up another, then another, and still another. Don, who was fishing a Carolina Rig, finally says, give me one of those worms she's using. I handed him an 8 inch version, and he scores on his first cast.

We continued with this pattern until 11:00, when the wind kicked up very hard. For us the bite died with the wind. That is usually not the case, but yesterday was a different story. This was a very cold wind, and the water temperature dropped 1.5 degrees from the previous day. The fish were there, they just did not want to eat.

Don and Dee Dee finally had enough of the wind, and decided to call it a day. They had a long drive home as well. They ended their day with around 14 fish. I felt bad the numbers were not better, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Both Don and Dee Dee are experienced team tournament fisherman from their days back in Georgia, so they understand the difference betweem fishing, and catching. They will be back in April for the spawn, and some real fun.

For those of you who are interested, the worm I have been using is now at Blue Water Tackle in Temecula. Go in and see Kevin and Dave, and ask for the worm that Art uses at Vail. You won't be sorry, as this worm just kills it.

Thanks,

Art

www.vaillakeguideservice.com (http://www.vaillakeguideservice.com)

Brian and I are heading out there again tomorrow, you'll probably see us out there just about every weekend now. It's really a nice place to fish.

Beth