PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone else at Corona today?

JHDucky
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi all,
I was there when the gate opened this morning with high hopes after my last two trips. After getting laid off last week I felt the urge to hurt something and trout sounded pretty good. I got one "bite" at 7:30 or was it a drive by that hit the line? I was skunked for the rest of the day and left the lake around 1. I did not have another bite all day. There were nice trout bing caught on both sides of me and I was using the same bait dunked in the same dipping sauce. I tried a short 1' leader, a medium 2' and a long 3' leader no love. I guess this is why we call it fishing not the fish counter at the grocery store. Sometimes you just can't buy a fish at this lake or any lake. I'm sure we have all had great days and others we don't talk about.
Take care
JHDucky

chivo
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi all,
I tried a short 1' leader, a medium 2' and a long 3' leader no love.
JHDucky

I'm thinking 2 or 3 foot learders are overkill. Try 6" to 8" for short and 8" to 14" for longer leaders, i don't think you'll ever need anything over 14".What size line were you using??? If it was 6lb or over, than that's why you didn't catch anything. If you were using 2,3 or 4lb test than, I'm not sure what went wrong. That's how those lakes are some times. you never can tell.Unless you were a trout in the lake yourself.

JHDucky
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I was using 2# leaders and the fish I saw being caught they were using leaders around a foot to 2 feet. Like you said sometimes you never can tell. A spot that is a hot spot one day is cold the next. Thanks for your advise Chivo I will try even shorter leaders next time, the water was still not very clear.

BigBass777
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
My brother went on Tuesday fishing the dam area at Corona. Nothing on powerbait or the powermouse. He texted me when I was at work on what should he use. Inflate a crawler, smother it with garlic scent and throw to the center of the lake on a 1/2oz sinker. He caught 4 trout. He really wanted a lightning trout but didn't get one. His fish were no bigger than 2lbs.

Koontaj
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking 2 or 3 foot learders are overkill. Try 6" to 8" for short and 8" to 14" for longer leaders, i don't think you'll ever need anything over 14".What size line were you using??? If it was 6lb or over, than that's why you didn't catch anything. If you were using 2,3 or 4lb test than, I'm not sure what went wrong. That's how those lakes are some times. you never can tell.Unless you were a trout in the lake yourself.

Very Well said, I used the 6 to 8 with nightcrawler dipped in herring oil and caught my limits the last time they stocked it with Lighting T. They were also hitting on yellow pb, with no dip. I change it up constantly until I find the right combo.

For some reason SARL sucks...in my opinion. I went 3 times and caught 2. I noticed that everyone else was not doing so well the times I went, as well.
I guess it just was not our day.

socalrippin
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
i get skunked at corona all the time!

AnglerBob
02-28-2009, 12:16 AM
We were out there in a rental boat and it was as you described—slow, but a few guys were killin' them! Definitely go with shorter leaders—save the longer ones for later in Spring when underwater plant growth hides your bait. And never be afraid to move; sometimes a short distance is all it takes.

Fishsan
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
My buddy and I were there for a night session that day as well. We picked up three 1lb trouts on the south side of the lake. The guy to the right of us picked up 3 4lb+ trout/cats. We were using about 10inch leaders with a green power worm/white egg combo. Good luck!

JHDucky
02-28-2009, 03:56 AM
There was not much room to move around on the south shore. I was third in line to get into the lake when it opened. I was sure I would get the spot I wanted, WRONG, both of the trucks in front of me got there first. It was still a relaxing day even without catching any fish. I enjoy being outdoors and watching nature.
JHDucky