PDA

View Full Version : Going to marine recruit office!!!

candyman
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
My friend and I have decided to go and join the marines today. We are about to leave to go talk to a recruiter. I hope all goes well and they accept my friend and I. Wish me luck guys :Big Grin:

matt duarte
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
damn dude! good luck fo sho, i salute you my friend! you 2 are brave souls i hope where ever your stationed has a lake so you can get me in haha...

sansou
02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Candyman,

Congrats! If you don't like what the Marines have to offer, check out the Army (they have every job known to mankind!) Study up on that ASVAB and get a good score, as it opens more opportunity & $$.

I see a lot of wayward 20 year olds who could really benefit from what Uncle Sam has to offer. Don't know what your situation is, but I salute you for going in to one of the branches.

I had a blast (no pun intended) when I was in BDUs!

* I helped a punk neighbor's son this past summer get in the Army (I went to court for the kid to get his probation removed so he could get in). He actually opted for 11B (infantry)! LOL. The kid just came back to town on leave after AIT. Let me tell you, he's a changed person for the better. Not a "punk kid" anymore.

smitty99
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Don't do it! Go Air Force and you won't regret it. Remember those recruiters are used car salesmen!!!!!

Oh yeah I should mention I've been an Air Force officer for 5 years.

hung380
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Join the Navy and bring a trolling rig with you:)
Talk to people you know that is currently in the marines and ask what they think. Military recruiters are a bunch of lying sack of turds.

JENSEN500
02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I went boy scouts, much safer!

Good luck bro. U got nuts of steel and i admire that.

Jeff

troutdog
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Keep me posted Phyl, best of luck to you and your buddy!

Semper Fi

TD

bullets_full
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Good luck bro! Ooooh Raaah, Semper Fi and all that. Of course, if the Marines don't take you, you can try the Army.

After all, they did take Sansou and me......:ROFL:

bullets_full
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't do it! Go Air Force and you won't regret it. Remember those recruiters are used car salesmen!!!!!

Oh yeah I should mention I've been an Air Force officer for 5 years.

If he decideds to join the "chair force" he'd better start walking a treadmill and be able to do at least one push-up. I hear those number 2 pencils get heavy and start to cramp your hand up.:ROFL:

troutdog
02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
If he decideds to join the "chair force" he'd better start walking a treadmill and be able to do at least one push-up. I hear those number 2 pencils get heavy and start to cramp your hand up.:ROFL:

Here we go...:LOL:

:Flamethrower: :Popcorn:

TD

JENSEN500
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
STILL GOT A SCAR ON MY FINGER FROM WHITTLING MY SOAP BOX CAR. pretty dangerous eh?

DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO DO ANY PUSH-UPS.

HAD TO GO ON SOME CAMPING TRIPS WITH WIERD MEN THOUGH.............creepy

gotta go to my psych dr. :(

good luck...................again

jeff

bruce watson
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Just remember, being in the military during a war time is not a game. When those around you are being killed or wounded, it will affect you for the rest of your life. Choose your branch and prefered Military Occupational Skill (MOS) wisely and good luck. We're proud of you.

sansou
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM

LOL. Don't get me started....

For a while I worked a JTF mission based out of what was once Kelly AFB. The Zoomies would show up to work around 0800hr, coffee breath, uniforms all neatly pressed, hands in the pocket, totally relaxed with a baseball cap on. Us Army turds had already been up 3 hours earlier, done PT, maybe also already done some silly GI Joe training and a mandatory muster formation by 0800hr. They would get done with their shift and go home. The rest of us always seemed to have some more Army BS to contend with. Yeah, call me a hater. LOL

If I were to make a career out of the military, far and beyond, I would chose the Air Force. They are the most professional / civilized service out there. Only a miniscule percentage of their force is "combat arms" oriented, which makes for a more civil organization. LOL.

Their chow is excellent (almost as good as submariner chow I hear), and they have bases in cool places (Spain? Italy? Australia? England?), their barracks are sweet (G.I. party? Sure, let me schedule my maid.), always close to a $10 MAC flight to anywhere in the world, ....and beyond all that, Zoomy chicks tend to be prettier! Downside: you have to wear the cheesiest of cheesy AF baseball caps....but it still beats those funny retro white Navy uniforms & dixie cup.

At the end of the day, friendly inter-service rivalry aside, we all get the job done as a team.

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
The Marines are great. Good luck to you and your buddy. God bless

bruce watson
02-26-2009, 06:56 PM
The Marines are great. Good luck to you and your buddy. God bless

It's easier to be a Marine today. At one time their motto was Semper Fidalis, but they shorten it to Semper Fi. It was always those pesky three syllable words their NCOs had problems with.

Go Army

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
It's easier to be a Marine today. At one time their motto was Semper Fidalis, but they shorten it to Semper Fi. It was always those pesky three syllable words their NCOs had problems with.

Go Army

Army is alright Bruce. When you want something done they always call the Marines to get r done. :Wink::Big Grin:

sansou
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Army is alright Bruce. When you want something done they always call the Marines to get r done. :Wink::Big Grin:

I didn't know you were once Marine Patrick! :Shocked:

I shoulda known from the way you storm the Irvine beaches from your patrol boat when the smell of BBQ is wafting in the air! :LOL:

bruce watson
02-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I was in the Army. And, as they said in Vietnam, I love the smell of BBQ in the morning.

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I didn't know you were once Marine Patrick! :Shocked:

I shoulda known from the way you storm the Irvine beaches from your patrol boat when the smell of BBQ is wafting in the air! :LOL:

Well , Sansou, my family is Marine Corps. Pops was in at the end of WWII and then joined the Navy reserv. and shiped out to Korea on a mine sweeper. His ship was hit and awarded 4 battle stars . My older brothers were in the Corps during the Vietnam period. Both were with an air wing. Choppers. One brother was in the Presidents Helicopter Squadron during the Nixon Admin. The other brother worked on CH46 Sea knights

I was in the Young Marines and when I was 18 , I was in a bad motorcycle accident that left me unable join the Marines or any other branch of the Armed forces. So I decided to fish and the rest is history

sansou
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Very cool Patrick! Lots of family history.

I'm not familiar with the "Young Marines" thing....is that like JrROTC??

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Very cool Patrick! Lots of family history.

I'm not familiar with the "Young Marines" thing....is that like JrROTC??

No , a little different. We trained at Los Alamitos Air Station back then. We did a boot camp at LTA ( Lighter Than Air) , Later to be renamed Tustin Marine Base. Thats the Marine base with the Huge Blimp Hanngers. It has a Sister Base, Moffit feild in SF Ca. It was fun . This was a long time ago now. I am sure things are different now.

candyman
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for the support!!!! I know everyone has their own difference in opinions regarding what branch to join. I was leaning more towards navy but we already have family members in every branch except the marines. The biggest reason is that my friend and I plan to go using the buddy program, which allows us to stay together for bootcamp and possibly combat training, if we decide on the same job. Well like I stated yesterday, I did go to the recruiting office. I took the practice ASVAB which Sgt. Martinez told me was harder than the real one. I scored a 80 which from what I was told is a very respectable score being that you only need a 31 to pass and 50 is the AVG score. I now have to go monday morning to take the real ASVAB in LA. I am confident that I will do better and I am hoping to score at least an 85-90, with studying all weekend of course:Rolls Eyes:. As of right now the marines look like they really want me to join but we shall see where this ball rolls, I will keep you guys posted of what happens.

HANG'IN ONE
02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
From a Coast Guard vet, good luck my friend.

Tight lines always!

smitty99
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Coast Guard is military???? :ROFL: I KID! I KID!

Hey us Air Force guys have to have someone to poke fun at.