PDA

View Full Version : tips on Irvine

socalfishingdave
02-25-2009, 11:45 PM
im gonna go and try irvine lake does anyone have any tips and is a good palce to fish? im probally gonna reant a boat.

SteveH
02-26-2009, 01:22 AM
With all the water in the lake now, that's a tough call.
Monday it was still pretty stained from recent rains.
I would tell to try close to shore. If you don't get bit within a half hour, pull anchor and try a different spot. Areas to try are the back of the flats, along the west shore, trout island and the boat dock.
I've been fairly successful using power bait but crawlers have been getting them to.
The fish seem to be pretty good size now with lots of fight. I use 6 pound test line, seems to work for me.
Good luck and tight lines...

calico killer kevin
02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
No more than 4lb test. I like 2lb, but hey whatever floats.

Fish all up and down the west shore and the flats with powermice and inflated
crawlers. They're out there.

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
The water has cleared up since Monday. The trout were on the chew today:!!!: Losts of limits today. Big trout showed also. Plain nightcrawler worked as well as the combos w/ Powerbait, Power egg. I noticed longer leaders were working today. 18'' apox. Chart. Powerbait mixed w/Garlic Powerbait worked too. Good luck on the water .

SteveH is spot on.

sansou
02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
"Tips" on Irvine?

As in "Tri-tips"??

Troutman65 can help you out with that! :LOL:

Troutman65
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
"Tips" on Irvine?

As in "Tri-tips"??

Troutman65 can help you out with that! :LOL:

Hey Rich, I have not grilled up any Tri-Tip in a long time. Maybe its about time I break out my Webber and Grill after work one day soon. If you make a trip down to the lake soon I will grill some up on that day.:Wink:

go fish
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey Dave when ya going been wanting to fish there let me know

SteveH
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
CKK,
Thanks for saving those big fish for me !
Just kidding !!!!!!
; )

socalfishingdave
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
im wanting to go friday or saturday

socalfishingdave
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
i want to go Friday or Saturday

SteveH
02-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Go on Friday if you can.
Saturday is a zoo and combat fishing at its best (next to SARL).
Tight lines...

go fish
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I will be there on friday If you go maybe we could get a boat and split the cost of the rental.I will be in a GMC Suburban tan color and I will be there around 5:00 am. Hope to see ya there. Big Al

MAVERICK27
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Everyon eis right..but 6lb is great for the steelhead, but you will get but twice as much on 4 lb abd a good qaulity 4lb line will hold up to pretty much any trout on the lake. I only use 6lb for trolling.

socalfishingdave
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey Dave when ya going been wanting to fish there let me know

hey there wuz up? i was called into work Fri so i went on Sat. didnt catch anything but a sunburn. it sucks, i payed $72.00 for admission and boat and only thing i got a show for it is an empty wallet and a sunburn. nice lake thow.

thanks,
David
socalfishingdave

AnglerBob
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
hey there wuz up? i was called into work Fri so i went on Sat. didnt catch anything but a sunburn. it sucks, i payed $72.00 for admission and boat and only thing i got a show for it is an empty wallet and a sunburn. nice lake thow.

thanks,
David
socalfishingdave

Ouch, that hurts. I've done it many times though. One thing about Irvine: I've had better luck from shore than on a boat, especially bait fishing. Noisy metal boats spook fish and are hard to anchor in any sort of breeze, so your bait ends up dragging through mud and snags. Sometimes I rent a boat and just use it for "transportation" to shore fish.

Can't tell you how many times though I've rented a boat, fished all over the lake for nothing and then seen huge stringers right by the boat dock!